Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,187
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,187
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
In regards to Wyll's patron (the lovely lady to has wrapped herself about him) is she a succubus or an Erinyes? And if she is a succubus is he a devil or a demon, because apparently Succubus can be both. Though given the prominence the Nine Hells are playing, I am going to go for a Devilish Succubus. Raphael sure has some competition.
That is also a very interesting staff that Shadowheart is wielding.


I am not an expert for 5E, but in older games succubi were demons and erinyes were devils.
The fact that the game plays ( partly ) in hell ( home of devils ) has no influence on the question if he made a pact with a demon or devil before.
First, the game may also lead us to abbys at some point.
Second, both demons and devils can have reasons to send a minion to hell to do something for them.
Third, the characters go to hell because they get kidnapped by Illithids. It is unclear if they want to go there or if they were send there for other reasons too.


PS:
Looks like we have 2 moderators now. Vometia is no longer alone.
Welcome welcome


Until now Larian has used the character design of the bestiary of the Wotc´s books so I assume they´re doing the same.

In there, Succubus have "bat" wings and Erinyes "Fallen Angel" wings, so I assume the very affectionate creature with Wyll is a Succubus, or a Cambion.






Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,187
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,187
After reading this twitter I think maybe she´s a Cambion ( It seems alu-fiends are not in 5e anymore)

https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/1304117852564226051

Nimue
@Nimue_RPG
·
Sep 10, 2020
Replying to @Cromwelp
Looks great! That demon (devil?) up there gives me the creeps.
Very Games Michael
@Cromwelp
Cambion friends are best friends


IIRC Raphael is a cambion too. Maybe their plots are related?

Last edited by _Vic_; 11/09/20 06:22 PM.
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 220
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 220
Interestingly, the NPCs either have a pact or a "strange magic" within.

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 649
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
In regards to Wyll's patron (the lovely lady to has wrapped herself about him) is she a succubus or an Erinyes? And if she is a succubus is he a devil or a demon, because apparently Succubus can be both. Though given the prominence the Nine Hells are playing, I am going to go for a Devilish Succubus. Raphael sure has some competition.
That is also a very interesting staff that Shadowheart is wielding.


I am not an expert for 5E, but in older games succubi were demons and erinyes were devils.
The fact that the game plays ( partly ) in hell ( home of devils ) has no influence on the question if he made a pact with a demon or devil before.
First, the game may also lead us to abbys at some point.
Second, both demons and devils can have reasons to send a minion to hell to do something for them.
Third, the characters go to hell because they get kidnapped by Illithids. It is unclear if they want to go there or if they were send there for other reasons too.


PS:
Looks like we have 2 moderators now. Vometia is no longer alone.
Welcome welcome


4e made Succubi Devils and 5e split the difference between the editions by making Succubi neither. And Raphel is a Cambion, which means he is half mortal and half fiend, but he isn't technically a devil althiugh one of his parents might be.

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 929
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 929
I have only read the PHB of 5E, so I have no info about monsters.

Just to be sure: devils are still lawful evil and obsessed with contracts, usually to sell souls while demons are still chaotic evil and they inspire others to give into whatever negative emotions they have without caring about anything, so they enjoy lust, hatred, greed, violence and so on.


groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 40
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 40
will all the community updates be before the early access?


[Linked Image]
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27,974
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27,974

There will be updates during Early Access, as well.

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 8
Z
stranger
Offline
stranger
Z
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 8
Just a quick word from someone who has stuck up for Larian on steam when people say it isn't a D&D game but a D:OS and when I read that the Lone Wolf was going to be added I can no longer say I am happy. No where in any D$D homebrew have i ever seen a boost in stats and damage for wanting to run a solo character. Wasted money on a game I thought was going to be a D&D game and not A D:OS game.

Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 112
Y
member
Offline
member
Y
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by ZafferinVallis
Just a quick word from someone who has stuck up for Larian on steam when people say it isn't a D&D game but a D:OS and when I read that the Lone Wolf was going to be added I can no longer say I am happy. No where in any D$D homebrew have i ever seen a boost in stats and damage for wanting to run a solo character. Wasted money on a game I thought was going to be a D&D game and not A D:OS game.

The world of DnD has many a stories of heroes and their solo or duo adventures. Whats wrong with living out a similar thing in BG3? Playing a solo run of BG3 actually sounds kind of awesome, its gonna take some serious refining tho.

Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 4
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 4
Damn, son.

1. If you don't wish to use that option, and play it like a regular 4 to 6 member party D&D game, then go right ahead. Nobody is forcing you.

2. What about when there is a solo adventurer who is exceptional and manages to accomplish things on their own? Do they not accumulate large amounts of experience by themselves, which manifests itself in their advancement being accelerated, and then gaining higher stats more quickly?

3. People min/maxed and soloed BG1 and BG2 and the IWD games.

4. Drizzt, escaping from the Underdark, as well as multiple times later on in his career, when he was alone.

5. Artemis Entreri.

6. Elminster.

7. Alias and Dragonbait.

8. Plenty of other characters who adventured solo or with only a single companion, within the Forgotten Realms or other D&D-based settings that neither I nor you know about.

This isn't "not okay" just because you say so. It makes sense within the settings and the rules and with the justifications they have stated.
They have stated, multiple times, that there is always gonna be some artistic licence taken because it's literally impossible to make a video game representation of 5E D&D 100% accurate. 5E has nigh-on infinite possibilities and they'd never finish programming the game if they tried to emulate that completely. Then you'd complain that it's Larian's fault that BG3 was never released.

When all is said and done, though, they're in the business of selling video games and they want as many people as possible to play their games. Nobody is being forced to do so. If you really think it's that bad an idea, then accept that you paid the money and accepted the user agreement when you downloaded the game and this was always one of the risks of buying a game in early access.
Next time, maybe it'd be better to wait until its complete so you can make a fair assessment of the finished product.

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 32
apprentice
Online Content
apprentice
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 32
Those examples given are characters that succeeded -despite- being alone, overcoming the challenges associated with it. With Lone Wolf it becomes a situation where you succeed -because- you are alone. None of those examples magtically grew stronger and mightier because they had no buddies nearby. It makes no sense in the setting to just grow more powerful beyond what people otherwise would achieve just because you decide not to have friends with you.

DnD is at the core a team game, for a party of people. The D:OS games were not neccesarily this, they had their own ruleset where you could be any class/class combination you wanted, it was based around having strong characters rather than a group of people with specific roles. A single strong character could replace 2, or even 3 partymembers.

Sure, it is possible to solo a DnD type game or even BG3, it is a nice challenge and I did this often myself. But that is just it, it is a challenge and meant to be. One character should not just be stronger and negate that challenge in a teamgame just because. Considering it is already possible to solo BG3, a lone wolf option kind of negates that challenge, as well as make going solo as default an option as a party of people, in a team/party based game. One character is not meant to replace a full party, in the dnd style setting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5