Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
E
I'm sorry, I wrongly assumed that feedback meant people had played.

Going back to topic, baldurian label could work if they offered several options in the same conversation related to that. Baldurs gate is a big city with iconic places. You could be a noble that has been in the palace and comment on how eldath grand son is nothing like him. Or a sailor who just came back from atlaka. Or a merchant who complains about the iron throne.

You can even have different takes on the same background.

In the same way that Wyll is a folk hero and noble.

An erudite specialized on the planes, or one that comes from a humble family but would rather spend time in the taberns. A sailor who is running from merchant debut, or an explorer. Or a pirate. And soldier can be mercenaries or patriots.

5ed books allow to choose that kind of stories for your characters. While a videogame is more límites, maybe they should offer a few label for extra customizing. Probably related to personality traits. Like being a Joker vs being serious.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Playing Arcanum with an idiot evil half orc was a great game experiance.

But I agree that 8 int is not an idiot and the game has so many skill checks that your stats and skills matter.
My main issue was that some players ( well, at least I did ) will always use the char with the highest cha to talk to others. Better prizes in shops and higher chances to convince them.
So I almost never controlled my own char outside of combat.

This is why I am a big proponent of the ability to switch characters during dialogue. I like to engage everyone with my main character, but if my character realizes he's in a position where deception or negotiation has to happen of course he'd call over Gale of Wyll and go "You talk to the man" so they came pass the check.

This is more or less how DnD tends to go. If the 8 CHA Barbarian is trying to haggle the 18 CHA bard will usually step in on his behalf to talk to the shopkeeper.

veteran
veteran
There is one potential problem i have with intellect based dialogue choices ...
English is not my first language, nor second ... as many of you probably noticed, i simply learned myself by the time ... that is not told to brag, but to point out that many words i still have to search in translator, and since i live in small (read as: uninteresting for marketing perspective) country, i cant hope for official translation.
Problem i have with this system is that high intellect characters in such games tend to long sentences with many nuances i sometimes dont catch at first sight. :-/
I ofc. realize that is entirely possible with litteraly any sentence, but for some reason many writers simply tend to extensive pompous speech, instead of simplicity and factual speech ...

So honestly, i kinda like it as it is. laugh

Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
I like to engage everyone with my main character, but if my character realizes he's in a position where deception or negotiation has to happen of course he'd call over Gale of Wyll and go "You talk to the man" so they came pass the check.

That sounds incredibly odd ... if there will be any "change talking character" option (and i also hope that there will be) personaly i hope it will be without any interaction, simply one person stopped talking and another started.
In this case it would be not your character who see that is going to negotiate, and its not entirely his area of expertise ... but Gale, or Wyll see that, and simply choose to act, spontaneously and without prompting ... it also kinda seem to me to give a better impresion of characters, since they like this are (in Roleplay perspective) acting by themselves, and finaly dont need curent "main character" to tell them what to do. smile

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
E
E
English is not my language either, so I do understand the struggle (and the fight with phone spell correctors that insist on changing your words to something in your language that didn't make sense 😂). But I do still want intelligent options and wise options. In fact, it is not so much about vocabulary (that is a small fraction of it) is about with comebacks and choices that come from knowing things that right now are defined to custom characters, but not to Gale or NPCs. So you would still need to read the complicated vocabulary. It just won't be available for your PC.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by EMC_V
An erudite specialized on the planes, or one that comes from a humble family but would rather spend time in the taberns. A sailor who is running from merchant debut, or an explorer. Or a pirate. And soldier can be mercenaries or patriots.

5ed books allow to choose that kind of stories for your characters. While a videogame is more límites, maybe they should offer a few label for extra customizing. Probably related to personality traits. Like being a Joker vs being serious.

Unfortunately, giving each background several options doesn't sound very likely. (As much as I'd like it.) Maybe just throw in different dialogue options from time to time; not every will match your character, but you'll be able to pick some flavourful ones anyway and the unused ones can simply be ignored as any other options?

I've been thinking about personality tags and the ways they could be implemented. Specific dialogue options? NPC reactions? Both seem to have pros and cons.

Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
This is why I am a big proponent of the ability to switch characters during dialogue. I like to engage everyone with my main character, but if my character realizes he's in a position where deception or negotiation has to happen of course he'd call over Gale of Wyll and go "You talk to the man" so they came pass the check.

This is more or less how DnD tends to go. If the 8 CHA Barbarian is trying to haggle the 18 CHA bard will usually step in on his behalf to talk to the shopkeeper.

I agree - fortunately, it seems that's planned. We'll see how it's implemented.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

That sounds incredibly odd ... if there will be any "change talking character" option (and i also hope that there will be) personaly i hope it will be without any interaction, simply one person stopped talking and another started.
In this case it would be not your character who see that is going to negotiate, and its not entirely his area of expertise ... but Gale, or Wyll see that, and simply choose to act, spontaneously and without prompting ... it also kinda seem to me to give a better impresion of characters, since they like this are (in Roleplay perspective) acting by themselves, and finaly dont need curent "main character" to tell them what to do. smile

Eeeh, I think I'd fine it very irritating of Gale or Wyll just suddenly took over the conversation without prompting from me first every time there was a possible charisma check. Especially given there are usually multiple avenues of what sort of check you can make and I might want to try, say, my unique ranger dialogue rather than a persuasion roll when talking to a druid.

Plus as odd as it may sound sometimes I like to make the check with my main character even knowing I have a lower chance at it.

E
E
Well, it is true that it is unlikely that they would offer something to actually customize the baldurian background in a meaninfull way. They preffer to put that effort in their "origins". But I hope they make the baldurian origin less plain and offer some kind of quest only available to that origin. Otherwise, it would be quite obvious that custom characters are just and afterthought.

As for dialog, I think that more options to show personality should be offered. After all, if we aren't going to have background, at least we should have opportunities to roleplay.

The NPC's talking is ok, they should offer their opinion. But I think that for a more party like feeling, sometimes they should also talk when it is not convinient. I mean, I don't think Laezel is someone who just remain quiet while you speak. She considers you inferior, so it is obvious that even if you happen to be better at talking, she would assume you aren't. On the other hand, Shadowheart looks like she won't talk even if it obvious that you need her support. XD

veteran
veteran
It dont sounds odd ...
I do that all the time. laugh

Maybe i see what you mean ...
It would be something like:
- Talking
- [Ranger] Talking
- [Githyanki] Talking
- [Persuation] Talking
- [Wyll:Persuation] Wyll Talking

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/11/20 10:21 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Sounds good i want mass effect type convos "i've got to go".. perfect and to the point.

All this convo ruins the combat anyway.. I thought this was a micheal bay epic, convo takes a back seat.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard