Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
So we come around a few Ogre enemys in this "Open Beta". wink

And LarianStudios knows how overpowered they made them?
There is always a convenient highground nearby, which Ogre's cannot climb apparently.
And since im such a pu°°y when I see big numbers, I don't try to engage them in close combat.

Since we have the option to shave them down from range and kill them, of course I do just that.
And they can do absolutely nothing in return. They throw a "pocket bolder" once and then they just keep... standing there like idiots.
They do not try to run away or into cover.
Which I think they should.

Oh but once one of them grabbed nearby barrel and threw it after one of my characters.
One of the 3 Ogre's that we fight in the house for the intellect headband ( or just because Ogre's are disgusting monsters in general ).

I hope in the final version they can do more.
Seek out cover, or even try to climb onto the building, which will lead to more of it collapsing and them falling down. grin
The frail woodenpost nearby was a major disappointment in any case. " 2 damage " oh woooooooooow. ;D

I don’t cheese them at all. They are easy to hit, and they slip and slide very easy with a grease spell. I’ve solo’d them, orges are not that difficult.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, that battle is designed to be cheesed. Easy access to the roof, they have the ability to collapse part of the roof and boulders to throw at you. If you decide to avoid cheese you can decide to collapse the pillar and hit them on the head with a boulder but that gives them another boulder to throw.

It's a fun battle but one that clearly comes with a set of acts you 'should' take.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Hi folks! laugh

Oh. You mean... we weren't supposed to drop barrels of oil and gunpowder near them and then remote detonate? Oops! ;-)

BVV

journeyman
journeyman
Man the three in the cottage are to be befriended. Play the evil side once and see how they do in the grove smile mu hahaha

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
So we come around a few Ogre enemys in this "Open Beta". wink

And LarianStudios knows how overpowered they made them?
There is always a convenient highground nearby, which Ogre's cannot climb apparently.
And since im such a pu°°y when I see big numbers, I don't try to engage them in close combat.

Since we have the option to shave them down from range and kill them, of course I do just that.
And they can do absolutely nothing in return. They throw a "pocket bolder" once and then they just keep... standing there like idiots.
They do not try to run away or into cover.
Which I think they should.

Oh but once one of them grabbed nearby barrel and threw it after one of my characters.
One of the 3 Ogre's that we fight in the house for the intellect headband ( or just because Ogre's are disgusting monsters in general ).

I hope in the final version they can do more.
Seek out cover, or even try to climb onto the building, which will lead to more of it collapsing and them falling down. grin
The frail woodenpost nearby was a major disappointment in any case. " 2 damage " oh woooooooooow. ;D

next time , talk to them, you can even hire them. they give you a blow horn, you can use it and summon the trio

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I don't know, seems like an ok fight that can be handled without cheese to me.

That said, they can be duped by popping in-out of cover. Would be fine with me, since ogres are generally not the brightest, but the issue is most enemies act that way.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Giving alternative ways to do fights is a good thing, even it's cheese. Free choice that is.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self

next time , talk to them, you can even hire them. they give you a blow horn, you can use it and summon the trio

I did and I needed a few successful rolls to convince them.
But the horn was buggy for me. I tried summoning them against the Phasingspider Matriarch.
They wouldnt appear properly. What a disappointment.

But in hindsight it would have not worked out anyways I think.

These Phasingspiders can teleport however they want.
And it manuevered around my party like a master, always trying to just use range.
If I summon 3 more dumb fat chunks to dance around, I bet this monster would do just that.

What made me really grumpy was the dead Tiefling to their feet.
This one actually had "Truesight"?
Imagine being born with such a winner ability and then being killed by 3 dumb filthy Giantgorillas. ^^

addict
addict
The ogre fight doesn't need to be cheesed at all. They seem to not be terribly accurate so you can pretty effectively pick them a part with a couple good melee characters. My ranger, Astarion, and Lae'zel made pretty quick work of them while while Wyll used Hex to weaken their skill checks against me.

veteran
veteran
Oh yeah, they can be defeated without cheese. And I did that after cheesing it out smile

But the question I'm answering is "did the devs want us to cheese this one"? And the answer is yes, cheese is what's for dinner.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Oh yeah, they can be defeated without cheese. And I did that after cheesing it out smile

But the question I'm answering is "did the devs want us to cheese this one"? And the answer is yes, cheese is what's for dinner.

I think you and I have different ideas of what "cheese" is in this context. The fact we have access to the roof and that the ogres have the ability to throw things to knock us off or break down the roof to make us fall suggests that the devs wanted to make for an engaging fight with multiple ways to resolve it. That isn't cheese.

Cheese is when you exploit the AI's limitations to win an encounter in a way that wasn't intended. Like when my ranger soloed the druegar fight by casting Fog and hiding so he could slowly snipe the druegar and their undead down with no fear of retaliation.

addict
addict
For levels 1-2, you probably need to cheese from the roof and/or ba a barrelmancer. But full part of levels 3 or 4 can beath them in a straight-up fight.

veteran
veteran
Nothing in this game so far is meant to be cheesed. The only encounter I couldn't do without a little cheese was the helm's deep battle at the druid grove, and even that was possible without cheese but I couldn't keep Zavlor alive so I chose the cheese

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
Nothing in this game so far is meant to be cheesed. The only encounter I couldn't do without a little cheese was the helm's deep battle at the druid grove, and even that was possible without cheese but I couldn't keep Zavlor alive so I chose the cheese

It depends what you call cheese...
According to me the entire game is meant to be cheased.

This is a D&D game in which you're supposed to have tons of possibilities but combats always looks the same because of Larian's cheats in the rules : advantage through jump+backstab for melee, advantage through high ground for ranged.

Just try once to play without these cheesy advantages to understand that everything turns arround this.
The game is totally hardcore if you don't use this. It's normal/easy if you do.

The balance of the game between D&D and Larian's custom mechanics is terrible at the moment... Because you have to cheat D&D to play something like a normal game mode.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 29/11/20 08:47 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Agreed with @saurianDruid and @Maximuus it all comes down to what you call cheese. After getting killed the first time I cast Wish: F8 and then power word: metagame

I climbed on the roof used a brine pod and firebolt to both burn the ogres and toss them about. I let the fire spread using grease (which is explicitly against the PHB description) and had a good time dodging boulders and taking advantage of that sweet game breaking home brew height advantage / disadvantage. Wyll's eldritch blasts always hit and the boulders always missed. I could have made it ridiculous with oil barrels.

For me it's cheese because of easy access to advantage and the easy access to game breaking items. Fun, but absolutely cheese.

And then I decided to see if I could win on ground level and that also worked. So yes, I didn't need to use cheese but I think cheese baked into the game. Hmmm. Baked cheese sound really good right now

journeyman
journeyman
Beat them face to face, just one character got downed. They are strong, but nothing like a "cheese or die" scenario.

My MC was a battlemaster had gale, astarion and shadowheart as companions. Think I was level 3 by then.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Just come back at level 4 and bash them from behind.
They are simple to solo...

Link Copied to Clipboard