Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Originally Posted by drimaxus
If this game only gets patches for bugs, stability and content ... then the game will probably fail.

That right there is why I get baited into inflammatory comments and get messaged by the Mods. That comment implies so much self-important BS on top of the fact that it probably sold as much or more in EA than was expected for the whole thing so it's all icing from here. It already CAN'T fail. Read the reviews. All they have to do is fix the bugs, stability, and add more content and it will be more of an amazing success than it already is. And all you "well they have to ..." people can go get bent. Its one thing to suggest improvements, but to say it has to...or it will fail...LOLOLOLOL.

I 100% agree with you smile Baldur's Gate 3 is already a total success. And by in large people love what they see! All Larian needs to do is finish the game.

Less than 99.9% of the the people who have purchased the game have posted on this forum (or reddit). What the handful of us who post think has effectively zero impact on the success of the game.

From what people learned from DOS 2 EA then it is very likely that they stick to their original plan and only add those ideas they already had in mind since day 1 and nothing more.

Which is exactly as it should be . . . the game is much too far along in the process for major game changes. From this point on Larian is filling out Acts 2 and 3, Classes and Races, bug fixing, finalizing UI, and making some minor story and balancing adjustments. Trying to do more than that is effectively starting over, not going to happen.

addict
addict
Everybody has their "Xan" day once in a while ... we're all doomed, etc. That's OK, just keep the feedback coming in and maybe someday I might even get a Ring of Shooting Stars.

One theme I detect in many of the reviews is basically, "You are going to want to keep playing this game ". I find that very encouraging, especially considering the other clear message is that the mechanics of the game are sometimes frustrating. It sounds like Larian has put a lot of effort on what is probably the hardest part of game design, which is making the player want to keep playing. +1 Wisdom.

old hand
old hand
If this game only gets patches for bugs, stability and content ... then the game will probably fail.

That right there is why I get baited into inflammatory comments and get messaged by the Mods. That comment implies so much self-important BS on top of the fact that it probably sold as much or more in EA than was expected for the whole thing so it's all icing from here. It already CAN'T fail. Read the reviews. All they have to do is fix the bugs, stability, and add more content and it will be more of an amazing success than it already is. And all you "well they have to ..." people can go get bent. Its one thing to suggest improvements, but to say it has to...or it will fail...LOLOLOLOL.

Hard agree. If they do NOTHING except for fix up the bugs, polish the rough edges, and finish out the content, this will be an excellent RPG beloved by many people. All of our suggestions are really just ways to make the game even more suitable to our personal tastes, but in no way necessary for the game to be good.

I think what we are seeing different is that for you "success" is making money, if we speak in terms of sales yeah maybe BG3 will do great. But there is more than money to this, in a year where the next gen games are coming out and they had the chance to make the best RPG within this subgenre, to be narrow minded and end up making another 6 or 7 point mediocre game to some of us would be considered a failure (after all if Larian just wanted to make money they could have done another Battle Royale).

Compare it to the movie market, excellent movies like Blade Runner 2049 gave an 80 million dollar loss, and movies like Furious 7 are between the highest-grossing films. Can you really judge a product's quality by the amount of people that like it? But hey, no one criticizes you if you prefer Furious 7 commercial type of movies or games, some people settle for less and that is not bad.

Lastly and I hope you don't take it badly, if you get baited into inflammatory comments and can't keep a civilized conversation when someone doesn't agree with you then that is because you are insecure, it's no one else's fault.

addict
OP Offline
addict
I think what we are seeing different is that for you "success" is making money, if we speak in terms of sales yeah maybe BG3 will do great. But there is more than money to this, in a year where the next gen games are coming out and they had the chance to make the best RPG within this subgenre, to be narrow minded and end up making another 6 or 7 point mediocre game to some of us would be considered a failure (after all if Larian just wanted to make money they could have done another Battle Royale).

The problem is you don't allow for the possibility that many people already consider it a success.

Compare it to the movie market, excellent movies like Blade Runner 2049 gave an 80 million dollar loss, and movies like Furious 7 are between the highest-grossing films. Can you really judge a product's quality by the amount of people that like it? But hey, no one criticizes you if you prefer Furious 7 commercial type of movies or games, some people settle for less and that is not bad.

So more people like FF7, but since you don't, they are idiots. Got it. So applying it to BG3, those of us that think it can't be anything but success and disagree with you are idiots too. LoL OK.

if you get baited into inflammatory comments and can't keep a civilized conversation when someone doesn't agree with you then that is because you are insecure, it's no one else's fault.

Getting irritated with self-important people who are out of touch with reality does not mean I'm insecure. The fact that you feel that only your opinion matters seems to reek of insecurity to me.

Again if you don't like the game...cool. If you want to tell us what you think would make it better...cool. But to say that Larian must do X,Y, and/or Z or the game will fail is delusional.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DistantStranger

Personally, I think it is the apologists who are willing to settle for mediocrity who do our shared hobby the greatest disservice, the only exception being the most toxic of trolls.

How did I miss this statement before?

+1

So more people like FF7, but since you don't, they are idiots. Got it. So applying it to BG3, those of us that think it can't be anything but success and disagree with you are idiots too. LoL OK.

I think there are different audiences, and like in all types of art and media, there is people who can enjoy less sophisticated materials and in most cases it is a matter of taste and knowledge. Think about music for example, in a general idea people who are actually musicians or have been more exposed to music have more sophisticated taste, maybe enjoy jazz or classical that aren't so attractive to the common ear. Can we enjoy a basic reggaeton? Well maybe yes, under a different circumstance, but not as much as one would enjoy jazz.

Getting irritated with self-important people who are out of touch with reality does not mean I'm insecure. The fact that you feel that only your opinion matters seems to reek of insecurity to me.

Again if you don't like the game...cool. If you want to tell us what you think would make it better...cool. But to say that Larian must do X,Y, and/or Z or the game will fail is delusional.

I am sorry if my words made you feel like I was labelling you as part of the common mass and I was labelling myself into an elite, that was not the intention. Having simpler taste or less expectations has nothing to do with being stupid, you just set the bar lower. Maybe that is enough for you or you have fun in other ways, maybe I have played so many things already that I need different content to actually feel it like an authentic experience.

addict
OP Offline
addict

I am sorry if my words made you feel like I was labelling you as part of the common mass and I was labelling myself into an elite, that was not the intention.

Yet:
Can you really judge a product's quality by the amount of people that like it?

And:
Having simpler taste or less expectations has nothing to do with being stupid, you just set the bar lower.

And:
some people settle for less and that is not bad

If those statements are not meant to sound elitist, you may want to check your writing style.

maybe I have played so many things already that I need different content to actually feel it like an authentic experience.

And I am totally cool with that and have said so. The issue is that you seem to think your minority opinion is somehow more sophisticated and better, so what you want needs to happen for the game to be successful.
Let me try to explain this difference. I have put together multiple lists of suggestions. In those lists are some things I am totally against. However, I realize that if it is something repeatedly asked for, it should be included because my thoughts are not the be-all and end-all. I have literally thanked people for expressing opinions that I am diametrically opposed to because their opinion is just as important as mine.
Or let me try another way... Why should Larian try to conform to a "sophisticated" niche instead of wider appeal? And why do you think that if they are successful in appealing to a wider audience that they would score lower in reviews?

I think everyone should give their opinion. The more the better. Just don't be arrogant in assuming that your opinion is worth more than anyone else's opinion.

Originally Posted by Abits
Now make a list for solasta lol

3/10

And I am totally cool with that and have said so. The issue is that you seem to think your minority opinion is somehow more sophisticated and better, so what you want needs to happen for the game to be successful.
Let me try to explain this difference. I have put together multiple lists of suggestions. In those lists are some things I am totally against. However, I realize that if it is something repeatedly asked for, it should be included because my thoughts are not the be-all and end-all. I have literally thanked people for expressing opinions that I am diametrically opposed to because their opinion is just as important as mine.
Or let me try another way... Why should Larian try to conform to a "sophisticated" niche instead of wider appeal? And why do you think that if they are successful in appealing to a wider audience that they would score lower in reviews?

Because the reviews aren't made by the bigger audience that is easier to please, instead those are made by game designers, developers or people who actually belong to minorities like those you describe. To me there is nothing wrong in assuming some people is easier to please, but then if you actually please the hardcore minorities of people who are a little more perfectionist, with an eye more detail oriented, you will also please the bigger audiences (in most cases).

I would like to emphasize this, but I don't want it to sound arrogant: people who aren't seeing any problems with BG3's gameplay are being more permissive when it comes to details, to verisimilitude, with perfectionism. And that is not bad, it doesn't mean they are stupid, it just means that they don't care about those little things, they will have fun anyways.

It is not my ideas or my own voice that I am preaching, I am talking about a part of the gaming community that does care for those details and who think that the game needs some gameplay fixes, and to quote some reviews too you will see that I'm definitely not the only one hoping for some gameplay changes:

Collider:

"You won’t find remarkable combat here. In fact, I often found myself trying my best in dialogue to skip combat when possible. It’s tedious and takes a long time, a downgrade from the addictive terrain-based fights in DOSII"

GameSpew:

"All the ingredients are there. But with the graphics to be further improved, more content to be added, the gameplay tweaked and the player character to be given a voice... "

GameSpot:

"I found the tone of much of the writing to be a turn-off - the dialogue itself feels off to the extent that I'm not convinced anyone wants to be there."

"That your primary character remains silent during conversations, while everyone else is fully voiced, only exacerbates the problem, heightening the sensation you're playing as an interchangeable mannequin"

Polygon

"The act of playing Baldur’s Gate 3 is a rough one because of how slowly it moves and how constrained it feels to have to play this rule system “by the book.” It’s like hanging out with the worst rules lawyer on the planet."

IGN

"There’s also nothing I could find to stop me from heading back to camp and resting after every single fight, though, which tilts the scales too far in the opposite direction. If I can fully heal and regain all of my spells whenever I want, Baldur’s Gate 3 loses the feeling of being on a long and dangerous adventure on which you must think carefully about your limited resources, which is a staple of D&D"

These were basically the same things you probably heard me and so many other users in this forum complain about, camping breaking immersion, mute main character, combat needing a re balance or some rework. If so many people (even though still a minority) are saying the very same thing... then maybe Larian should try to listen?

Last edited by drimaxus; 27/11/20 07:14 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I haven't seen a post saying that the game is bad in a while, and the "This is DOS3" Week 1 trolls have mostly vanished. Thanks for keeping it positive though?

Cause most fans of BG1/BG2 played it, went WTF, complained to no avail. and moved on out while laughing at the <its really BG3!!!> hipsters.
Whats left is BG1/2 haters, DOS fans, D&D heads, and AAA cringy cinematic dialogues and sex lovers.
People who like to game will naturally stay in the forums as time goes by, reinforcing their belief that everything is peachy lol.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 27/11/20 08:13 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Given time, the trolls always move on. Probably something to do with their short attention spans and primal desire to be heard/herd.. BG3 will get better and better and if it stops getting better, perhaps the modders will take it to where they wanted it to go. Like life, this is a journey.

addict
OP Offline
addict

Because the reviews aren't made by the bigger audience that is easier to please, instead those are made by game designers, developers or people who actually belong to minorities like those you describe(1). To me there is nothing wrong in assuming some people is easier to please, but then if you actually please the hardcore minorities of people who are a little more perfectionist, with an eye more detail oriented, you will also please the bigger audiences (in most cases).

I would like to emphasize this, but I don't want it to sound arrogant: people who aren't seeing any problems with BG3's gameplay are being more permissive when it comes to details, to verisimilitude, with perfectionism(2). And that is not bad, it doesn't mean they are stupid, it just means that they don't care about those little things, they will have fun anyways.

It is not my ideas or my own voice that I am preaching, I am talking about a part of the gaming community that does care for those details and who think that the game needs some gameplay fixes, and to quote some reviews too you will see that I'm definitely not the only one hoping for some gameplay changes:

Collider:

"You won’t find remarkable combat here. In fact, I often found myself trying my best in dialogue to skip combat when possible. It’s tedious and takes a long time, a downgrade from the addictive terrain-based fights in DOSII"(3)

GameSpew:

"All the ingredients are there. But with the graphics to be further improved, more content to be added, the gameplay tweaked and the player character to be given a voice... "(4)

GameSpot:

"I found the tone of much of the writing to be a turn-off - the dialogue itself feels off to the extent that I'm not convinced anyone wants to be there."

"That your primary character remains silent during conversations, while everyone else is fully voiced, only exacerbates the problem, heightening the sensation you're playing as an interchangeable mannequin"(5)

Polygon

"The act of playing Baldur’s Gate 3 is a rough one because of how slowly it moves and how constrained it feels to have to play this rule system “by the book.” It’s like hanging out with the worst rules lawyer on the planet."(6)

IGN

"There’s also nothing I could find to stop me from heading back to camp and resting after every single fight, though, which tilts the scales too far in the opposite direction. If I can fully heal and regain all of my spells whenever I want, Baldur’s Gate 3 loses the feeling of being on a long and dangerous adventure on which you must think carefully about your limited resources, which is a staple of D&D"[/color](7)

These were basically the same things you probably heard me and so many other users in this forum complain about, camping breaking immersion, mute main character, combat needing a re balance or some rework. If so many people (even though still a minority) are saying the very same thing... then maybe Larian should try to listen?(8)

1) No, the people who write those reviews are not game designers, developers, etc. They are everyday people who can regularly write a review. As I will point out in the negatives you have cherrypicked, in many cases they are clueless.
2) I have not seen a single post on this forum with someone saying the game or even the combat system is fine as is. At 450.8 hours, I am probably one of the biggest fanbois here. If I am being honest, I could live with just bug fixes and added content. Now live and want are very far apart. You can find plenty of criticisms from me. For example, I have stated multiple times that the movement system is atrocious. Annoyances range from small ones like casting a spell on a party member and having them run around like cockroaches in a foul kitchen that has just had the light come on to huge ones like having to split your party apart and jump them individually or else they are in their own way. I won't even go into how many times I have moved one character slightly and the other three all step in fire. Again criticism and suggestions are encouraged by me.
3) How many people in these forums have complained that combat in BG3 is too much like DOSII, yet this clown wants it more like it? WTF?
4) We know the player will be given a voice in spite of some people here not liking it. So this reviewer didn't even do any research to see what is already on the horizon. Amateur hour.
5) Again, see #4.
6) Yeah, it's purposefully constrained by a rulebook called DnD 5e. How many people in these forums complained that Larian deviated too far from the rules? And this clown thinks they need to deviate further???!!!
7) I am in favor of this. However, IMO it would alienate more people than it would please. Therefore, I have requested it being an option as part of a complex difficulty system. Doubt Larian listens, but I can always hope.
8) And we have examples of them listening. Hopefully, patch 3 will contain yet more examples. Some things though, I feel are a waste of breath. For example, please continue to ask for a dynamic resting system, but IMO there is a ZERO percent chance of it. Again, we can hope.

4) We know the player will be given a voice in spite of some people here not liking it. So this reviewer didn't even do any research to see what is already on the horizon. Amateur hour.

This interest me, I haven't heard. Do you have a link or something where I can find the confirmation?

Btw just reading your critics I realise that I think very much the same as you do, the difference is like you said you are a fan already and don't care if those get fixed you will enjoy it anyways, and to me and I guess I am not the only one, those things ruin the fun after a couple hours. So in a way it is also your voice that I would like to be heard by Larian.

In regards to those reviews there are people who want a heavy D&D aligned game, those are the core D&D players out there, and others who are new to those rules and can see the issues of a 50 year old tabletop system brought to a videogame, personally I don't care which one they choose as long as they manage to make a fun combat. I loved the combat in DOS2 and I love playing D&D as well even though I acknowledge the system is a bit old and has its issues.

I think people keep bringin Solasta up because they did the heavy D&D based game very well, right now I think BG3 is sitting somewhere in the middle of that and DOS in a really odd place and it would be best to decide which were to go.

addict
addict

This interest me, I haven't heard. Do you have a link or something where I can find the confirmation?

It was discussed here https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=738806 lately. Shortly: one of their writers said this on reddit long ago.

PS: Also there was one moment in the game when my character actually talked during cutscene.

Last edited by Zellin; 27/11/20 08:38 PM. Reason: PS
addict
addict
I agree BG3 is an enjoyable video game as it is, and I would say Larian have managed to balance the views of the different player groups ( BG/FR fans, DIVOS/General videogamers, and TT 5e players ) quite well.

BG3 does not NEED to change its game-play to be successful.
BG3 could BENEFIT from offering options, where practical, that would help players tailor the experience if they don't like the balance Larian have chosen.

Obviously much of the game content has not been completed, and obviously there are functional problems with the clipping/animations and conversation/state management, which I'm sure Larian know perfectly well.

Beyond that, Larian are more likely to listen and respond to player feedback where it concerns HOW players interact with and control the game - UI, input methods, camera control - but I do not expect any significant changes to the way the game works.

Nor should there be significant changes really, since Larian were perfectly open with everyone who has bought into EA, showing off multiple gameplay streams. BG3 does not fully meet my preferences either, but I still bought it on the basis of what I had seen, not some fantastic expectation that the game would change markedly.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by etonbears
BG3 does not NEED to change its game-play to be successful.
BG3 could BENEFIT from offering options, where practical, that would help players tailor the experience if they don't like the balance Larian have chosen.

I could not agree with this more. I would love to see many changes as options.
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=733462

journeyman
journeyman
Hey thanks for those links guys, I hadn't heard anything about fully voiced custom characters! This is kind of awesome laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard