Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#739780 28/11/20 09:46 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I decided to do a solo run as a Githyanki before the new patch drops, and I noticed something odd. That as a githyanki cleric you can be a cleric of others that aren't Vlaakith. While it has been a long since I checked the lore, from what I remember, Vlaakith doesn't take kindly to traitors. If a githyanki was to leave Vlaakith, they would be hunted down.
Another problem is that even if you were to RP your githyanki growing up outside of githyanki culture, you can't. Since githyanki PC mentions Vlaakith as their diety, a lot. Example, when your githyanki pc wakes up on the coast, they say how this must be a test of Vlaakith. So, even if you were to pick Selune as diety, pc treats Vlaakith as their diety instead. Which wouldn't make sense in the context since githyanki pc that is worshipping somebody else would be branded a traitor to Vlaakith.

It's a very minor complaint, but I think that Vlaakith should be locked as only diety for githyanki pc, just like how Lolth is only diety for Lolth-sworn pc.

addict
addict
I agree. Either allow Prime Material (FR) githyanki PCs or lock Vlaakith as the deity.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Iirc since Vlaakith isn't a true diety she shouldn't give domain spells either.

But its all a rule of fun thing, and you won't see a Gith cleric unless you make one yourself

addict
addict
So when you play a Gith Cleric, always play with Vlaakith. Limiting the choice for others in no way affects your game. If someone else wants to play a Gith Selune Cleric, it's their $$, so let them play how they want.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
But its all a rule of fun thing, and you won't see a Gith cleric unless you make one yourself

True, but it still feels off when you are playing as non-Vlaakith one. Your character is supposedly worshipping [x] diety, but says Vlaakith's name every time and is trying to conform to her...even though Vlaakith would want dead any githyanki who turned the back on her like this.

Originally Posted by RumRunner151
So when you play a Gith Cleric, always play with Vlaakith. Limiting the choice for others in no way affects your game. If someone else wants to play a Gith Selune Cleric, it's their $$, so let them play how they want.

The same could be said then about Lolth-sworn. It's about consistency and how much a certain thing makes sense. It would be different if githyanki pc didn't have lines that mentioned Vlaakith and githyanki culture. This way it just feels off since you can't RP as githyanki who is an outsider since both voiced lines, and lines that you can pick, are 100% clear on you being true githyanki who is meant to be loyal to Vlaakith.

Like I said. This is just a minor complaint.

Last edited by JesusDied; 29/11/20 08:24 AM.
Banned
Banned
Keep in mind that you can totally worship several gods at once in FR. When we choose a deity that just means that its our primary deity.
Vlaakith probably won't mind if someone also worships Tiamat, plus I doubt that you have to publically declare your faith for it to count anyway. The tricky part is explaining how your githyankee even knows about Ilmater or Lolth? It's not like they are common knowledge in the Astral Plane.

addict
addict
I tend to disagree with restricting options at character creation. Because :
- a) More customisation = better, in my view. To some extent, if people do shit (build-wise or lore-wise), it's their problem.
- b) Even if some combination sounds very off, there will always be someone somewhere who can justify a good backstory for it.
Currently, you can make many non-sensical combinations, and I'm fine with it. In a TT setting, that would fly.

This being said, there is the question of how Larian deals with it, as this is a video game and most of the GM-ing and writing will be fixed. If Larian has already made assumptions and written them in (like the Vlaakith-following Githyankis), then we probably can't ask them to remove that. We may ask them to write also for a non-Vlaakith-following Githyanki. That would be great.

But I think the best is not to prevent characters that would expose themselves to writing-clash, but instead to flag them. If you create a Githyanki Cleric that doesn't follow Vlaakith, when you choose a different god, there should be a warning "we have written Githyankis to be Vlaakith followers. Your combination will lead to you witnessing inconsistencies. You may venture forth this way but we don't recommend it".

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
I tend to disagree with restricting options at character creation. Because :
- a) More customisation = better, in my view. To some extent, if people do shit (build-wise or lore-wise), it's their problem.
- b) Even if some combination sounds very off, there will always be someone somewhere who can justify a good backstory for it.
Currently, you can make many non-sensical combinations, and I'm fine with it. In a TT setting, that would fly.

This being said, there is the question of how Larian deals with it, as this is a video game and most of the GM-ing and writing will be fixed. If Larian has already made assumptions and written them in (like the Vlaakith-following Githyankis), then we probably can't ask them to remove that. We may ask them to write also for a non-Vlaakith-following Githyanki. That would be great.

But I think the best is not to prevent characters that would expose themselves to writing-clash, but instead to flag them. If you create a Githyanki Cleric that doesn't follow Vlaakith, when you choose a different god, there should be a warning "we have written Githyankis to be Vlaakith followers. Your combination will lead to you witnessing inconsistencies. You may venture forth this way but we don't recommend it".

I agree. The FR franchise is certainly big enough to have room for people worshipping deities that are weird for them.
Just think about Aerie from Baldurs Gate 2, who worships a gnome deity despite being an elf.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eldath
I agree. The FR franchise is certainly big enough to have room for people worshipping deities that are weird for them.
Just think about Aerie from Baldurs Gate 2, who worships a gnome deity despite being an elf.

Excellent example !

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Eldath
Keep in mind that you can totally worship several gods at once in FR. When we choose a deity that just means that its our primary deity.
Vlaakith probably won't mind if someone also worships Tiamat, plus I doubt that you have to publically declare your faith for it to count anyway.

Tiamat? Nope. I don't see Vlaakith minding that. Everyone else, like Selune for example? She would mind that. At least from what I remember when it comes to githyanki who tried to leave Vlaakith.
I'm all for more options, but those feel like nothing when your githyanki is locked into Vlaakith worship, even when they supposedly worship somebody else that Vlaakith would never approve of. You are already limited in your RP this way since you can't imagine yourself being an outsider because githyanki pc is written with Vlaakith and her githyanki culture in mind.

The tricky part is explaining how your githyankee even knows about Ilmater or Lolth? It's not like they are common knowledge in the Astral Plane.

I find it funny that you can be Lolth's priest as a non-drow. True, everyone can worship whatever diety they wish, but I thought that Lolth would only ever reply to you back if you were a drow. Usually a female drow, but male Lolth's clerics aren't unheard of either, although that tends to be very rare. Still, Lolth won't care about you if you aren't drow.
So, non-drow being Lolth's cleric is kinda odd in itself.

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
This being said, there is the question of how Larian deals with it, as this is a video game and most of the GM-ing and writing will be fixed. If Larian has already made assumptions and written them in (like the Vlaakith-following Githyankis), then we probably can't ask them to remove that. We may ask them to write also for a non-Vlaakith-following Githyanki. That would be great

They could just use already existing voice lines that other races use (like humans) which are neutral. Dialogue choices would need some writing though since those are written in mind as you being "true githyanki" who is apart of githyanki culture.

Last edited by JesusDied; 30/11/20 10:44 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard