Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
IMO, the solo ranger video has plenty of cheese in it. But I agree that what is considered cheese varies from person to person.

I doubt many would argue that usage of obvious bugs that need to be patched like invisible push is cheesing the game. Along those lines, I would argue that the Beastmaster Summon Companion "ritual" is bugged. 5E D&D rules say it should only work once every 8 hours. Right now, it functions like a cantrip making it OP big time. Just hide your ranger and send in an army of giant spiders. I suspect they will eventually fix it so that it works 1 time and then needs to be recharged with a short or long rest.

Is meta-playing cheese? If I know there is an ambush at a certain Villiage because it is my second play-though, is it cheese to drink some potions and prep before walking in? On a secondary playthrough, is it cheese to choose certain stats during character creation because you know there is a stat boosting item early in the campaign? (Solo Ranger also used that one). Probably... but I don't normally consider these things cheese.

For some, anything that deviates from what a reasonable DM would let you do in a table-top game is cheese. Use of unchaining to bypass initiative. Barrelmancy and save/reloading for the sake of avoiding a bad roll. (No really, I pick-pocketed EVERYTHING the merchant had without failing any rolls... honest).

Personally I don't care about cheese. I use it all the time. In fact, I don't want Larian to patch ALL the holes, because I am not a fan of 10 and 20 min battles. Ironincally, I would be happy to let battles play out properly if they were over in say... 30 seconds or a minute. THen I would know if I won or lost and could reload. This is how it was for most of BG2. But once a battle exceeds a certain size (maybe 5 enemies?) I tend to just load a save and figure out how to cheese it because I don't have the patience for a long battle that I may lose. Or maybe my justification is more like this: I did it once the hard way on my first play-through. Now I am going to take shortcuts.

I suspect I am not alone.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

Problem is the definition of cheese is very subjective.

Yeah, pre-buffing and abusing rest was an integral part of bg1 and 2 yet some people seem to thing that anything except wandering up to the person you are going to kill unbuffed and saying hurr durr me kill u now like an 6 int moron is cheese. If this was "real" and the pc kept doing that and miraculously survived i suspect astarion or lae'zel would just murder you in your sleep for endangering their lives.

I disagree on BG1. You could go a long time without resting, because wands were plentiful and powerful, and so were potions for buffing. But what made BG1 a great fantasy adventure is that it left you useful hints at to the nature of your enemies. Combined with how easy scounting was, this helped to create a narrative where if your party prebuffed, they could be acting on the knowledge they had, not that of the player.
BG2 unfortunately didn't follow this design approach anymore.

BG3 has scouting covered, where it fails at is resting. The narrative implies that taking too much time could be dangerous, but so far the opposite seems to be true, because if you don't go camping often, you lose out on companion interactions. edit: Just to add, I assume Larian will fix the enemy ai regarding stealth. Stealth as it is now is not well implemented, imo.

Last edited by ash elemental; 18/11/20 11:17 AM.
#739845 29/11/20 05:03 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
As an older player I love the story and the atmosphere but easier combat settings would really enhance my enjoyment.
Could you please offer an easy game play option as I am sure there are many like me who were the earliest players of D&D

old hand
old hand
What are the issues you are having? Perhaps people could give you suggestions. With only your request to go on, I can only suggest to use the environment (barrels, etc) to your advantage, and make sure to always be on high ground. Stealth will also make combat much easier.

I believe there will be difficulty levels once the game is released, it would make the most people happy like this.

addict
addict

addict
addict
If that can be of any relief for the long term : the FAQ mentions that "Difficulty options won't be available during Early Access, but we will be looking at feedback as we decide what kind of options to include." So, hopefully, when the full game is release, people can make the game easier or harder, as they see fit.

For the short term, yes, there are thread on this forum that can help with strategies and tactics.

veteran
veteran
I agree, OP. Combat is awful in this game and we need difficulty settings to help either ease combat or else bypass combat. And using exploding barrels is an absolute nonstarter for me. That is a ridiculous gimmick that I will never ever use, even while expecting that the game will allow me to "win" encounters reasonably without ever using those gimmicks. So what those difficulty settings and other gameplay option settings will be is a major issue for me on which I am still awaiting information.

journeyman
journeyman
I think a lot of it is just take your time and learn from mistakes. I was horrid in the beginning now I run around like a Leroooy master at times. Basically do not bite off more than you can chew in the beginning. Explore the map and use save to your advantage. Save before going into a nasty cave. Then do another new save inside. Doing this allows you to have a fall back point if needed Pick your battles. I am not a youngster and I will give you 10 tips that help me.

Tips-
1. you can trade behind the scenes in battle (health potions for example)
2. barrels and bottles of grease they can explode or be set on fire.
3. hide and shoot (thief's are absolutely one class not to mess with from the shadows... bow attack and run and hide. If you can reach the target saber them...use the special attack skills)
4. get high for spells and archers
5. shove baby shove any hole or nasty thing you can fall into are great traps.
6. if they fall get them up as soon as you can. The AI likes to gang bash downed players. you usually have time to get them up.
7. Defensive spells are worth it. Mage armor ... Mirror Image... Color Spray
8. Magic missile is the best finisher in the game IMO. Example you have a low health runner launch this spell. Since it always hits if you can see the target. you can pick and choose multiple targets as well (so if a target has 1 health ...shoot only one missile at him and choose other targets for the balance.)
9. Many areas have things you can use against your targets. You have lots of time to pan the room in combat to look at things.
10. Its your game have fun take challenges on learn from mistakes and the game gets easier and more fun

G
stranger
stranger
G
I would rather like to see increased difficulty to have some challenge.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard