Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Let me start by saying I love BG 1+2 and have played D:OS2 a bit. I haven't played PnP D&D. I sincerely want BG3 to be awesome. Better than BG2 and better than D:OS2. Please forgive me if I sound mean, I understand it's tons of work for the devs, it's hard to make a game and I fully appreciate all the effort that has obviously been invested into the game so far. The delays are testament to the dedication to delivering a good product and that's the only right thing to do, in my opinion. No one will give a damn about the launch date - but a good game can bring joy and entertainment to people for generations.

Combat:
1. Combat involves jumping just as much as normal movement, and pushing just as much as normal attacks - often with greater impact than any weapon or spell when successfully pushing (or being pushed) over ledges. Feels silly. Is the game really meant to look like we're a bunch of goats bouncing around and into each other? (Is that what PnP D&D looks like?)
2. Attacks missing too often!
3. Buffs/debuffs are unclear and there seems to be no way to find a reference in-game unless it's a spell a party character know.
4. When losing one's turn such as after being pushed into prone, I still see a green Action point dot, I just can't use it. Not intuitive at all. No explanation.
5. Oh my god do I miss a more fluid, auto-attacking combat with Spacebar-pause! I imagine the reason we don't get that may be due to D&D 5e, perhaps in combination with console controls?
6. Sometimes I have a high hit% when mousing over an enemy, with a spell attack for example, but then when I click and the attack requires that my character first moves in range, I can see the hit% drop before the attack is performed. I'm being deceived by the UI itself. Wouldn't have made that attack if I had known the hit% from the spot the character would move to. Makes no sense.

UI:
1. Inventory is cluttered with seemingly usesell items. Unclear if some of them will ever be useful.
2. Hotbars difficult to use - I can't drag an item to another tab easily, for example.
3. Selling to traders is hell. The way reputation vs barter pricing works, the game encourages meaningless shuffling of items to the character with the best rep, before selling. Who wants to spend time on that???
4. List of quests fills up fast, isn't scrollable unless I place my cursor in the scrollbar column, and there is no way to filter out completed quests.
5. Character stats are too limited. I'm looking for info that should be in there, such as weapon proficiencies or what Sleight of hand level I might have and so on.
6. Spellbook functionality took a while to understand. Feels very generic, could be in any game, no BG feel.
7. Hotbar gets cluttered due to the way spell levels work, feels like I have very little control.
8. Unclear how I should coat weapons using poison bottles etc. Why the hell would I want to drink the poison!?
9. When getting "higher level" weapons I would expect having passive spell effects as in most other games, but they often just involve the character being able to cast a new spell. Questionable how useful that is, considering I don't get more opportunities to use Action points -- so using the new spell would mean sacrificing an Action, i.e. reducing the benefit of the item carrying that spell.

Story:
1. All my party characters are obnoxious as hell! And none of them seem to have much positive to say about my player character, making me wonder why the they're even sticking with the PC. Whining all the time!
2. Dialogue seems to be between the PC and the other NPC - other party members rarely seem to make a difference. Then what's the point of having a "well-balanced party" as is advised in one of the loading screen messages?
3. Once when going to camp, Astarion attacked all of a sudden, no clear reason why. I was puzzled. His corpse then remained there through the rest of the game.

Graphics/visuals:
1. Character animation is quite horrible, especially hand movement. Feels like dialogue cinematics always shows the speaker from similar angles, using the same set of gestures and body poses.
2. Many abilities or skills or spells, when being activated, trigger some sort of "explosion" effect, sound and flash, even though it feels absolutely uncalled for. Feedback should be possible to do in a more appropriate way. We don't need flashes and bangs for simply having my character run a little farther.
3. Map looks like a mess most of the time. It's possible to make out where is "walkable" of course, thanks to the contours, but it's impossible to tell what's what otherwise. Looks like vomit in different shades of brown, gray or purple...

journeyman
journeyman
Agree with most of this. Overall UI needs some spit and polish.

Originally Posted by underhand

8. Unclear how I should coat weapons using poison bottles etc. Why the hell would I want to drink the poison!?

There are a couple of different types of poisons:
1) Dipping kind, click dip and then click on these in your hotbar to apply
2) The ones that warn you not to drink. These you throw at enemies to poison them. I usually save these for the bosses. Found this out by accident as the UI certainly doesn't give you the prompt that it's really a missile weapon.

I'm in agreement with most everything here. I'd just like to add the either poorly written or bugged relationship content with the companions, as well as the barrels and excessive surface effects.

This stuff might be great if put in very particular, outmatched boss fights, but not everywhere and certainly not with the ability to carry a bunch of barrels around.

Banned
Banned
What I hate is how every sort of consumable/throwable is automatically put into our ability bar.
I get the nice thought behind it, but in the end... it feels cramped.
Damn I wish there would be a dedicated group-slot indicating "all potions", "all throwables" and whatever else.

And in regards to THROWING stuff.
The shortcuts are most often bugged for me.
I have to open the inventory for the player I just focussed, go in the inventory and rightclick on the item I want -> "throw" manually and then it works.

EarlyAcess childhood illnesses I hope. smile

And yeah the Bunnyhopp-simulator is real.
We use it to get out of a Melee-enemys autohit range all the time.

Either jumping needs to be disabled, message saying " You can't jump, you are in range of an enemy that would hit you ", or they hit you anyways even if you jump.

The Goblins have a specific ability that lets them run off.
Because the AI does not know how to jump tactically obviously. wink

This makes it feel even wierder to know we are actually not supposed/allowed to excuse ourselfs this way as well.
Its just another time one of those wierd Meta's we learn on the fly.

Last edited by JustAnotherBaldu; 29/11/20 06:00 PM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
2. Many abilities or skills or spells, when being activated, trigger some sort of "explosion" effect, sound and flash, even though it feels absolutely uncalled for.

Yea, D:OS legacy, very annoying and out of place.

And jumps / shoves of course need a revision. Shoves should be standart action, Jumps should provoke AoO, or banned at engage in close combat, there was a lot of talk about it.

veteran
veteran
You're voicing concerns and feedback that many others are voicing as well, and you'll find mostly agreement with most of those points, here - but every voice counts! Ever person who comes to the game and, on their own, comes to these same conclusions, matter, so thanks for adding yours, Op!

To answer a quick aside:

1. Combat involves jumping just as much as normal movement, and pushing just as much as normal attacks - often with greater impact than any weapon or spell when successfully pushing (or being pushed) over ledges. Feels silly. Is the game really meant to look like we're a bunch of goats bouncing around and into each other? (Is that what PnP D&D looks like?)

No, it's not how PnP D&D looks; that's a pure Larian-ism, and it's ridculous.

3. Buffs/debuffs are unclear and there seems to be no way to find a reference in-game unless it's a spell a party character know.
4. When losing one's turn such as after being pushed into prone, I still see a green Action point dot, I just can't use it. Not intuitive at all. No explanation.

If you look down the way a little, I put up a couple of threads that delve deeply into the game's implementation of spells and status conditions, and the problems with their descriptions and tool tips - take a look if you're interested. It unpacks and unpicks a few of the things that confuse or mislead players at the moment.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
Either jumping needs to be disabled, message saying " You can't jump, you are in range of an enemy that would hit you ", or they hit you anyways even if you jump.

Have you read tooltip? O_o
Jump is merged with disengage for purpose.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Good typical list of all complaints. What we have here is basically DOS3 : A D&D baldurs gate adventure <coming soon to consoles, hence the crap UI and movement>.
DOS2 is more crazy fun, BG2 feels more detailed and epic and D&D5th a more robust combat system.
One of these three needs more focus.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 30/11/20 12:40 PM.
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Just wanted to throw in my appreciation of all the replies this post got! I am aware that many of the things I mentioned have been posted by others previously and perhaps will now have been solved in the patch from December 2nd. Will start up a fresh new character to see how much better the game must be smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
What I hate is how every sort of consumable/throwable is automatically put into our ability bar.
I get the nice thought behind it, but in the end... it feels cramped.
Damn I wish there would be a dedicated group-slot indicating "all potions", "all throwables" and whatever else.

Definitely needs a cleaner UI.

A bag icon for all consumables.

A scroll case icon for all scrolls.

Separate spellcasting UI. The container style is an improvement over making all upcast spells their separate spell but it's still horrible. Now casting a spell at its base level requires two clicks.

And only what you want goes in the hotbar. Which could do with bigger icons at least on 1080p.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
OP hits on my biggest pet-peeves in this game...

Jump/disengage... almost like they couldn't(didn't bother to) figure out how to make disengage its own action when Jim-bob working on coding the jump action noticed it didn't provoke attacks of opportunity... done!

Next is push... its an attack... clearly, and should be a standard action at the least... it used to be that simply making an "unarmed" attack would provoke an attack of opportunity if not proficient at making them against an armed opponent... currently completely out of line logic, feel and probably d&d rules...

UI... particularly with regard to hotbar/spells i agree with 100% also...

All things I expect will be ironed out in the next year! smile

Last edited by Llev; 05/12/20 02:46 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard