Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
There are rare fatalities in Dragon Age Origin, see video example. Do you need this in Baldurs Gate 3?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
I actually hated those in DA:O - real time game system locking me in some forced inescapable animation.

I could see special finishing moves for crit kills, as long as it’s not too indulgent (in length and gore) - like Gibbs in original BG1&2. Though in case of BG1&2 I would turn those off, due to hot ridiculous those meat explosions were. I was a big fan of fallout1&2 kills, but that’s a different feel/aesthetic.

journeyman
journeyman
It makes sense to have a Critical Success animation.

I just hope they add in Critical Fail/Miss animations for final release as well laugh

addict
addict
Being TB, I would like as many animations as possible.

T
T
I'm confused . . . Baldur's Gate 3 already does have zoom in special animations for critical hits. And, thankfully, the option to turn them off it you want.

stranger
stranger
Zooming in is the same thing as an extra animation of the character that lands the killing blow? No? Okay.

old hand
old hand
Animations would be cool. Gibbing not so much -- there hasn't been a 3d game where that has looked good in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
I actually hated those in DA:O - real time game system locking me in some forced inescapable animation.

I liked them a lot when they happened at the right moment.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
addict
addict
It's been a long while since I played Dragon Age, but from what I recall, I thought it rather strange that the kill shot scenes had my mage running on top of the dragon to plunge a sword into its skull. That kind of broke the connection between me and my game character, who as a great master of the arcane, would have much rather cast Otto's Irresistible Dance (or the DA equivalent) on the dying beast.

enthusiast
enthusiast
In a turn based game? Yes. The more immersion the better. However they need to be attack specific. If they also included class specific ones at later levels and maybe subclass specific at the last two levels before Max. It may give an extra sense of progression.

addict
addict
Necessary? No. Welcome? Yes. This and/or some extra crit shots would be very nice.

S
veteran
veteran
S
well i liked it in dawn of war and for honor.

tho id prefer these animations to be faster. short little mo capped anims for finishing someone with a crit would be cool, but nothingt hat takes 5 minutes

B
Banned
Banned
B
I always wonder.... if you play a game where you kill hundreds of beings with feudal weapons (probably the most violent, personal and bloody in human history) and then complain when you see your character actually doing that.

It reminds me on a person voting for trump and saying he has nothing against Mexican immigrants.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
I always wonder.... if you play a game where you kill hundreds of beings with feudal weapons (probably the most violent, personal and bloody in human history) and then complain when you see your character actually doing that.

It reminds me on a person voting for trump and saying he has nothing against Mexican immigrants.

I am not complaining, I like the opportunity to make finishing off enemies spectacular and ask the opinion of other players

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
S
veteran
veteran
S
well that started as an apt post and then took a nosedive itno trump derangement syndrome

veteran
veteran
- No, I do not think we need finish moves in combat

- Since we talk about insane ideas,
what about a finish move for the game?
When you close the game, everything starts burning and then comes a big explosion and the screen goes black.
Of course we need an option to turn this off.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
I really think animations need works.
The TB system is very static and animation gives a better feelings of reality.

The balance between animation/cutscenes/camera point of view and combat speed is something important but yes... I think the game deserve more variety even if these new things doesn't need to be slower than usual animations.

Fatility, miss, critical hit or even normal attacks.
It's too slow in DA:O but Solasta did it pretty well to me and combats looks more dynamic.

No to such fatality, but yes to more variety and dynamism in combats.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/11/20 12:42 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
I don't care if they add this as long as there is a way to disable it. They are usually too dramatic for how I have envisioned my characters, would only have them enabled if I was playing a showoff type.

Y
Y
If implemented right, and not to cheesy or overly repetitive. I'm in favor for pretty quick and clean fatalities. The ones where, yep thats a kill hit and its gonna be smooth. Maybe the crits can be a longer more dramatic thing. But this is definitely one of those things were too much of a good thing can be bad.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard