Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#740004 30/11/20 06:30 AM
Yglika Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi all.

This is both a question and a plea/suggestion.
Will - in the final release - the main protagonist speak? I know it is quite a lot of voice-acting but at least for me this is in fact quite important. I always hated in DA1, that (unlike to ME series for example) the main protagonist was mute.

I don't possess a magical gift, I'm the magic itself.
veteran
veteran
You need to be more specific im affraid ...
Since protagonist IS allready speaking. O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Banned
Banned
Sadly he already does :'(

veteran
veteran
I assume he will. there have been many discussions about it and I realize that the unvoiced protagonist is very jarring for newer players, which I assume are the majority of players. I have no problem with it other than the fact it consumes a lot of resources, but if it will help bring more people into BG3 I think it might be worth it.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
I assumed it would be a bit like DOS2 where your character speaks on occasion but no full dialogue

addict
addict
It's not 100% clear, but it seems we'll be getting full protagonist voice acting. Unfortunately.

journeyman
journeyman
The player character speaks a lot more often in multiplayer (when players can talk to each other ala DOS). So I assume voicing will be provided for singleplayer as well, eventually.

old hand
old hand
Unfortunately they seem to be forcing this on us. Hopefully this can be an option only.

Banned
Banned
I think the chosen maincharacter absolutely should speak every sentence in the final version.

Why? Because everyone else does. All those NPC's.
And of course the party-characters too sometimes as they bring themself in.

Don't forget that we are free to play the "partymembers" as maincharacter in the final version.
It would be absolutely awkward if they are more of a mute if played as main, as when they would be just a partymember.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
I think the chosen maincharacter absolutely should speak every sentence in the final version.

Why? Because everyone else does. All those NPC's.
And of course the party-characters too sometimes as they bring themself in.

Don't forget that we are free to play the "partymembers" as maincharacter in the final version.
It would be absolutely awkward if they are more of a mute if played as main, as when they would be just a partymember.

But it breaks immersion and forces a personality on me that I don't want. Give me the option for a silent protagonist, seriously. It costs NOTHING for Larian to give me this option.
Just imagine if we get to play a half-orc or a lizardfolk and they have this posh british accent. It's going to be so cringe.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I'm glad that they are, and hope that it gets fully fleshed out by release.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eldath
But it breaks immersion and forces a personality on me that I don't want. Give me the option for a silent protagonist, seriously. It costs NOTHING for Larian to give me this option.
Just imagine if we get to play a half-orc or a lizardfolk and they have this posh british accent. It's going to be so cringe.

+1

Also i dont see any reason for character to repeat every sentence you just choosed, since you should read it before you choose. :-/

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

+1

Also i dont see any reason for character to repeat every sentence you just choosed, since you should read it before you choose. :-/

There is only one plus in this, perhaps voice version will be more detailed than short version that you have chosen. But this is also a minus LUL. because phrase can be completely different.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Banned
Banned

No trust in LarianStudios finding a good voice actor huh? grin
Oh well the silent option is easily implented I think.
Lets just hope the developers think of it.
I have reasons to belief sometimes a solution is SO GOD DAMN EASY that no one thinks of it.

But I have hope for a good human voice actor. And I don't care if my character says it, or if I say it in my mind.

addict
addict
No trust in LarianStudios finding a good voice actor huh? grin

You mean dozens of good voice actors? So every "archetype" has its voice. A gruff dwarf, a cheerful halfling, a barbaric half-orc... Otherwise, no matter how good the voice actor, the voice is going to be off for many characters. Not to mention you'd only have four voices total for however many characters you make... They're going to repeat a lot. Especially that the current voices are similar.

The solution I always propose is to add a whole bunch of voices that would only be used for voicebarks. So like the current voice-over. That on top of those four fully acted voices (if Larian indeed decides to go with full VA) and an option for completely silent protagonist.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyloth
There is only one plus in this, perhaps voice version will be more detailed than short version that you have chosen. But this is also a minus LUL. because phrase can be completely different.

Disagree ... that option is pure minus ... huge pure minus ... :-/

Oh well the silent option is easily implented I think.

Not sure about "easily" ... but certainly cheaper ...
If you only want to create two different voice flavours, you need to double price ... etc. etc.

And concidering how huge this project allready is, i bet they need to keep close eye on budget. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 30/11/20 09:39 PM.

journeyman
journeyman
Not sure if I'm in the minority on this or not but I really like the idea of the Protagonist speaking out loud like Mass Effect for example. So I'd like to see the protagonist here speaking out loud in this game.

Last edited by Iszaryn; 30/11/20 10:25 PM.
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Iszaryn
Not sure if I'm in the minority on this or not but I really like the idea of the Protagonist speaking out loud like Mass Effect for example. So I'd like to see the protagonist here speaking out loud in this game.

I wish you were in the minority, but no, apparently everyone wants to copy Dragon Age and Mass Effect now...

Banned
Banned
The thing is that we have lots of scenes, showing our character close up interacting.
If he is always silent... it looks kinda idiotic.
Really hope that this does not come to pass.

Especially since our character tends to show his feelings. What are we? Link? grin

Yglika Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well for me it is exactly opposite. It _immensely_ breaks my immersion if my character does _NOT_ speak his/her lines. I actually fail to even understand how it can break immersion for someone if he/she does but if yes - I agree they could simply give you an option to turn it off. Lucky for you, that's a lot easier solution, than what I need to be happy.

Last edited by Yglika; 01/12/20 04:57 AM.

I don't possess a magical gift, I'm the magic itself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard