Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by EMC_V
I think the headband of intellect is meant for rogue and fights, so they can take the eldritch knight and the arcane trickster and be as good as the wizards.

Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters are not meant for lobbing spells at enemies(minus cc), that’s what a wizard does. They are meant to augment their fighting. Eldritch knights with abjuration, arcane trickster with illusions+ Magic middle never misses, don’t need intellect at all for these.

You are right that to balance things out they should add objects that help all the classes. Not just +1 to hit, but also magical robes (I found just 2), more belts, objects to set other attributes to 18, etc.

You don’t need to wear robes. Dwarves and gith get light/medium armour. Or get a talent at lvl 4 for light armour. But you’re armour should be shield/blurt/mirror image

But balancing loot is complicated. Right now I think rogue have it best. Even the magical weapon you craft is designed for them.
what magical weapon? You can craft several weapons. From a 2h, sickle , spear for example.

clerics are severly handicaped.
not at all. You can use any weapon you want. If you want proficiency choose a race with those(short swords/long swords elves, dwarf axes etc). Clerics can use simple weapons, and there’s a hatchet from the halfling merchant that does burn on hit. Or you could literally use a torch and do 1d4, 1d4 fire lol

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Wouldn't mind seeing some magic items giving a +1 or 2 to your Spell save DC.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Magic missile always hits and is reliable. Thanks to an item found in the underdark, it becomes OP. Wizards can already learn any spell, which makes Cleric obsolete in my opinion. My mage can use Inflict wounds as low range burst damage. If I remember correctly, my Wizard can even learn bless. And guiding bolt can be learned aswell.

At this point Wizard does the things a cleric does way better, because Wizards have more spellslots.

Headband of Intellect is OP. Its so OP that players are going to metagame and dump Intelligence while gaining 18 int for free just because of this item. It is too powerful, should be reduced to 16 int, which is what you can get with level 4.

In general, magic items like the Circlet of Scorching or the Hag staff both use intelligence as the stat which governs your chance to hit. That means, your Wizard gets a free cast of Scorching Ray every long rest. Or infinite casts of the poison attack (but deals poison damage to yourself).

However, these items also use intelligence as casting stat if you are not a Wizard! Wizards don't need a free cast of scorching rays, but Warlocks do since they only get to cast 2 spells per fight. But the way these magic items use intelligence as your stat, you are going to have a terrible chance to hit with your free spells from these items.
This needs to be changes ASAP. Magic items which grant free spell casts per rest must use your casters' casting attribute like Charisma for Warlocks. In the current situation, these items are better for Wizards than they are for other casters, and Wizards can already learn any spell.

This is just ridicolous and makes Wizards the best casters in the game. Warlocks, Clerics and eventually Sorcerers can't compare with them at all and they are even disadvantaged because items use intelligence for casting. Please adjust this to give other non-Wizard classes the same hitchance with those spells granted by magic items.

addict
addict
I find spellcaster hit rates to be more reliable than melee, but I don't really have an issue with either.
Make sure that your target is well-lit, make sure that you're at a reasonable medium range, and make sure that you're on high ground.

If for some reason you're still struggling with those simple mechanics, just spam Magic Missile.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Man, stop fussing. This isn't a competitive online game. It's a fun story driven game.
I love that headband. I can do stupid fun builds with it.
Build a STR/DEX/CHR Warlock and go wizard spec at level 4.. You can literally do anything in the game from there just by learning spells. And have a blast doing it.
I also like soloing on runs to avoid the team mate drama. I've already seen it lol, I don't always need it. With that headband I can have a blast.

And while it may seem OP to the 'purist' people out there... How will it scale late game? (I'm not a DnD person so I don't know how DnD leveling works). But either way... just sell it if you don't like it and find something that matters to complain about..

E
E
Originally Posted by T2aV
I think the headband of intellect is meant for rogue and fights, so they can take the eldritch knight and the arcane trickster and be as good as the wizards.

Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters are not meant for lobbing spells at enemies(minus cc), that’s what a wizard does. They are meant to augment their fighting. Eldritch knights with abjuration, arcane trickster with illusions+ Magic middle never misses, don’t need intellect at all for these.

You are right that to balance things out they should add objects that help all the classes. Not just +1 to hit, but also magical robes (I found just 2), more belts, objects to set other attributes to 18, etc.

You don’t need to wear robes. Dwarves and gith get light/medium armour. Or get a talent at lvl 4 for light armour. But you’re armour should be shield/blurt/mirror image

But balancing loot is complicated. Right now I think rogue have it best. Even the magical weapon you craft is designed for them.
what magical weapon? You can craft several weapons. From a 2h, sickle , spear for example.

clerics are severly handicaped.
not at all. You can use any weapon you want. If you want proficiency choose a race with those(short swords/long swords elves, dwarf axes etc). Clerics can use simple weapons, and there’s a hatchet from the halfling merchant that does burn on hit. Or you could literally use a torch and do 1d4, 1d4 fire lol

Originally Posted by MagusLascivious
Man, stop fussing. This isn't a competitive online game. It's a fun story driven game.
I love that headband. I can do stupid fun builds with it.
Build a STR/DEX/CHR Warlock and go wizard spec at level 4.. You can literally do anything in the game from there just by learning spells. And have a blast doing it.
I also like soloing on runs to avoid the team mate drama. I've already seen it lol, I don't always need it. With that headband I can have a blast.

And while it may seem OP to the 'purist' people out there... How will it scale late game? (I'm not a DnD person so I don't know how DnD leveling works). But either way... just sell it if you don't like it and find something that matters to complain about..

And here is the key. It doesn't matter if other classes aren't meant to use spells, headband allow it by min-maxing. Which is OK, but it is also OK to ask for equivalent equipment for wizrds to balance things out. Also, magic missile is not that good. After all, average damage is 10.5 damage points. So at most you would have 4 in a combat. Then rest. On the other hand, rogue can have infinite backstabs. At Dexterity 18, using +1 weapon, it is easy that they have 5+1d8+1d6 damage each attack, average 13. And that is, of course, if they don't use venoms or other nasty stuff. So even if you duplicate the magic missiles, damage wise, the arcane trickster is more effective. And that is even before we take into account the "hide" cheese move. You can effectively solo the game as a rogue arcane trickster. Which granted, is the same as BG1. And there is even some boots of speed there. XD

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Imo it seems like 5ed wanted to reign in the numbers a little... +10 stat items kinda fly in the face of that... sure it is just one item atm but an item like that begs the question "whats next?"... where do they go from there... just how fast will the power creep happen and to what degree... sure we can say "fantasy = anything"... but many dnd players are used to an attempt at some form of balance... say no to +10 items!.. even if single player! ;D

Last edited by Llev; 01/12/20 01:34 AM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E

And here is the key. It doesn't matter if other classes aren't meant to use spells, headband allow it by min-maxing. Which is OK, but it is also OK to ask for equivalent equipment for wizrds to balance things out. Also, magic missile is not that good. After all, average damage is 10.5 damage points. So at most you would have 4 in a combat. Then rest. On the other hand, rogue can have infinite backstabs. At Dexterity 18, using +1 weapon, it is easy that they have 5+1d8+1d6 damage each attack, average 13. And that is, of course, if they don't use venoms or other nasty stuff. So even if you duplicate the magic missiles, damage wise, the arcane trickster is more effective. And that is even before we take into account the "hide" cheese move. You can effectively solo the game as a rogue arcane trickster. Which granted, is the same as BG1. And there is even some boots of speed there. XD

I agree. I'm not sure why so many people in this thread are referring to magic missile, as if it's the end all be all of spellcasting.

For one, it's not even available to all casters, only arcane casters. It also becomes barely relevant after a getting past the first few levels. It's sole purpose is that it provides arcane casters a guaranteed way to finish off weak or damaged enemies.

E
E
I guess it depends on how you play. I do admit that a barrel + fire spell is one of my "lazy" solutions to win combats, but shoot, run and hide come closser. No real need for magic missile. At level 2 spell, scorching ray might work better depending on the fight. The harpies are easier if you put to sleep a couple, for example.

But the key is to add more equipment variety to suit different game styles.

At this point the headband is the most powerful item, only compared with the drow hood and maybe the boots that give you dash for free. But I haven't found belts, just a few boots and a couple of gloves. Not many rongs either.

I get level 1-4 shouldn't have so many items, but it seems the "blue" ones are all 2 handed weapons. And the book of names or the necromancy book, are underpowered compares to their "hype". They would work better given some specific quest power and no spell at all. At least a text that says that you have learned something and that gives you insight.

The book of forgotten gods would have been interesting to offer miscelaneous bonus on religion checks and the Booal quest with the kuotoa. For example.

Anyway, it seems that the real reason for the headband is that larian wanted an intelligent ogre. It is supposed to be a "joke", just like the walking into the ogress having sex. And, naturally, players exploted that to get the loot. 😂

I mean, we were probably expected to pay for the summoning of the 3 ogres. Which might be powerful, bug not as much as the headband. And if we learned something from BG1 is that players would kill dritz fir the loot. Or anything. 😂

So add loot for all the classes. 😉

You can min/max without it. A half elf can get 16 in any 2 stats,14 in con, plus 16 charisma. Thief is better than an arcane trickster anyways. I fixed the thief not be able to get lvl 4 wizard/cleric/warlock feat. With that, have the necklace with 1d4 psychic dmg with magic missile , +2 offhand attacks. 1d4+1 x6

Or you could get Warlock feat at lvl 4, throw out hex and get 1d6 for 3 hits per round , if you have advantage sneak attack on top of that. And with 16 charisma, your eldritch blast is quite accurate also infinite.

There's no need for the headband. Plus SHADOW OF MENZOBERRANZAN is better for solo.

E
E
I like your build t2av. It is true that right now, the hood is way better. Still, means that objects need to be balanced.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard