Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
stranger
stranger
I can understand this when the game forces such a thing on you (TW2's very intro), but at no point are you forced to romance anyone in this game. At worst, you are meant to create your dream waifu/husbando at the start, but no titties involved there.
Also, the game is rated M for a reason. Even if there was no nudity, or graphic sex init, it would still have something that clearly isn't meant for kids.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stikyard
For example, ever play a D&D campaign and one of the player characters tries to hook up with an NPC? It can be fun and entertaining watching the Bard court an NPC. You do a little role play, make a roll to seal the deal and, the DM says something like. "Rembrand and the bar wench take leave of the bar room and head upstairs for a night of romance." Who goes into detail about what happens in the bedroom? It's creepy, nobody does that. The only reason my son made the Choice in the game to sleep with the Drow goblin leader was because he was trying to avoid her trying to kill him at camp. He reloaded and choose to sleep with her and got graphic cut scenes. We play all kinds of "M" rated games. I don't let him play GTA because it's too human, too realistic. D&D offers a fantasy, slaying monsters takes the humanity out of it, like killing zombies.

Rated M for Mature, 17+
BLOOD AND GORE
PARTIAL NUDITY
SEXUAL CONTENT
STRONG LANGUAGE
VIOLENCE

All of the explanation in the world isn't going to change the fact that you let your kid play a game that explicitly warns about the potential content that it features.
Your irresponsibility isn't Larian's fault, and they're not obligated to change anything just because you couldn't be bothered to check a rating that's been slapped onto every game made in the last 25 years.
Lesson learned, I hope. I'm sure you'll be more proactive from now on.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

W
veteran
veteran
W
You react to this:

I guess I was unaware how graphic they would go, he has more time to play than I do so he progressed further with the storyline. I won't be getting him a copy and I'm sad we wont be playing it together, oh well.

With this:

Originally Posted by Tzelanit

All of the explanation in the world isn't going to change the fact that you let your kid play a game that explicitly warns about the potential content that it features.
Your irresponsibility isn't Larian's fault, and they're not obligated to change anything just because you couldn't be bothered to check a rating that's been slapped onto every game made in the last 25 years.

What is wrong with you?

For example, ever play a D&D campaign and one of the player characters tries to hook up with an NPC? It can be fun and entertaining watching the Bard court an NPC. You do a little role play, make a roll to seal the deal and, the DM says something like. "Rembrand and the bar wench take leave of the bar room and head upstairs for a night of romance." Who goes into detail about what happens in the bedroom? It's creepy, nobody does that. The only reason my son made the Choice in the game to sleep with the Drow goblin leader was because he was trying to avoid her trying to kill him at camp. He reloaded and choose to sleep with her and got graphic cut scenes. We play all kinds of "M" rated games. I don't let him play GTA because it's too human, too realistic. D&D offers a fantasy, slaying monsters takes the humanity out of it, like killing zombies.

Rated M for Mature, 17+
BLOOD AND GORE
PARTIAL NUDITY
SEXUAL CONTENT
STRONG LANGUAGE
VIOLENCE

+1

Even if Baldur's Gate 3 did not have ANY nudity, it doesn't change the fact that you decided consciously or not to let your kid play a game that is clearly rated M for Mature.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke

What is wrong with you?

Logic, I guess?
No video game developer on the planet is going to pay focus groups to determine just how sexual is too sexual because most people aren't going to have the same answer.
That's why ratings exist. Sexual content was listed. In this case, OP gambled and lost. A collective shrug is really the only feasible response to this post.
Being sympathetic to this person for complaining about a situation that they put themselves into is weird.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

W
veteran
veteran
W

What is wrong with you?

Logic, I guess?
No video game developer on the planet is going to pay focus groups to determine just how sexual is too sexual because most people aren't going to have the same answer.
That's why ratings exist. Sexual content was listed. In this case, OP gambled and lost. A collective shrug is really the only feasible response to this post.
Being sympathetic to this person for complaining about a situation that they put themselves into is weird.

You aren’t shrugging. He shrugged. You are being a butthole unnecessarily. He never asked Larian to change anything. I’m not sure why this is so difficult for you.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Actually, I've never managed to get 'titties across the screen'. But, if you do not want to see this, or have your child see this, you should play a game that isn't meant for a mature audience. What I don't understand is why blood and gore is acceptable, but tits are the deal breaker.

In addtion, romancing npc's is optional so if you do not want to see it, you can just not go there. Also, I have the feeling that the possibility of homosexual relationships in this game would blow your mind.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
He only "chose" to romance to possibly avoid a fight. I'm not suggesting anything should be removed. I know better now and I wont be buying him his own copy for Christmas is all.

J
stranger
stranger
J
One thing I noticed while reading the whole thread: Americans are really hung up about sex and nudity.

So, letting for example your child play the evil playthrough where part of the campaign is murdering whole families is fine, but the dealbreaker is the reward sex from the evil drow cleric. And other gamers wanting any content that offends them (in this case sexual content) to be opt-in only so that they can avoid it where possible, in a game that deals with a lot of very dark storylines and concepts (like torture, murder, slavery, BDSM etc) is a very odd concept (for me).

I understand that these players want a very specific type of game catering to their specific taste, and that as such is fine, I just have the feeling that this is not the game for them. There are games out there that I DID not play for similar reasons, such as Rust, but I never expected the devs of Rust to change the vision for their game to cater to my sensitivities.

Banned
Banned
In this thread:
A puritanical world view combined with a failure to respect the ESRB rating results in a kid learning about the birds and the bees.

You're not concerned with people arbitrarily killing children, casual profanity, and ritualistic BDSM, but you draw the line at physical intimacy?
This post should be pinned for posterity. This is hilarious. cry

You don’t know that the OP is okay with any of that because you aren’t aware if the OP is aware of any of that.

What really happened in this thread: somebody had a misconception about the game, voiced surprised, was corrected, responded reasonably, and then a bunch of jerks piled in and reminded everybody of how abysmal trying to communicate with strangers online unfortunately often is.

+1
The "freedom fighters" over here are very judgamental and crude.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
There are many choice to be made in early access. Like there is the choice to read the rating of the game before puchasing it to ensure the content is fitting for your son and daughter. The only existance of this post is not an aknowledgment of the mistake made from the person but is actually an attempt to get in touch with the developer to change the contents of the game. This is the whole reason of this poste to raise an issue.

But in the end there is not an issue because the game was rated M from the start so ultimately it was an evaluation error from the parent.

I am being respectful here but i see some answers i don't actually like. The fact a game is fantasy does not mean it has to avoid certain contents. The fact is D&D does not mean that don't have mature themes. Heck Belhial and Fierna are actually son and daughters and lovers. ((This from a manual of the 3.5)). You have deity that have in theyr influence carnal pleasure and even Pain.

No D&D was never meant for kids it always had mature content there were even CDP that were focussed in seduction.

Who thinks not is completely mistaken.

enthusiast
enthusiast
He only "chose" to romance to possibly avoid a fight. I'm not suggesting anything should be removed. I know better now and I wont be buying him his own copy for Christmas is all.

I guess it's time to close this thread.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
What is wrong with you?

You are being a butthole unnecessarily.

Stop.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The game would have sold just as well without "M" rating. D&D fans are all ages.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Eldath
In this thread:
A puritanical world view combined with a failure to respect the ESRB rating results in a kid learning about the birds and the bees.

You're not concerned with people arbitrarily killing children, casual profanity, and ritualistic BDSM, but you draw the line at physical intimacy?

You don’t know that the OP is okay with any of that because you aren’t aware if the OP is aware of any of that.

What really happened in this thread: somebody had a misconception about the game, voiced surprised, was corrected, responded reasonably, and then a bunch of jerks piled in and reminded everybody of how abysmal trying to communicate with strangers online unfortunately often is.

+1

Truers. Kinda funny how talk of pixel boobs gets so many really involved

addict
addict

From the 1978 Dungeons & Dragons introduction, page 5: "Dungeons & Dragons is a fantastic, exciting and imaginative game of role playing for adults 12 years and up."

If I ran a game-making company, I would probably try to be sure my products reach the largest possible market. And I think this is what this thread is really about: is it a better business decision to widen the market appeal in terms of age range, or to focus on a mostly-adult market with content specifically placed to appeal to adults who insist on pixual intercourse? Maybe we will never know, Leira willing.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by Innateagle
In this thread:

+1

Truers. Kinda funny how talk of pixel boobs gets so many really involved

To be honest this kind of post surfaced on other forums as well in the past. Like if there is always someone doing the same mistake. I doubt this post is authentic or if is.. It is clearly an unwanted provocation. If a game is bound to have such content and is correctly advertised coming in the forum companing about such conents is not only unnecessary but also completely out of place.

I don't blame those people for answering as they did. They have the right to do so as they are not in the wrong. Nudity is beautiful it can be pictured on canvans made with pixels or real it does not make it less natural. Instead i doubt of the integrity that think that blood and gusts and entrail fly over are more acceptable for childrens.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Guys, I typically try not to be censor Nazi, which is why I allow my kids to play "M" rated games. With a few exceptions GTA and Red Dead. My son and I play Dead by Daylight all the time. Even that game doesnt show up skirt on character models. My sons physical embarrassment while playing this game caused me to draw a line.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This thread is full of some interesting choice comments.

In this thread:

Almost everyone maintains contradictory world views, even if its not this particular one. I could give plenty of examples to highlight this point, but I think the moderators would be upset if I turned this thread into a discussion of real world politics, so I will not do so. Suffice to say, I wouldn't laugh so hard if I were you, because the chances are upon close examination, you do as well. I know I do, even if the ones I maintain aren't the ones on discussion within this thread.

Originally Posted by fallenj

As soon as you go to the steam page this shows up:
THIS GAME MAY CONTAIN CONTENT NOT APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES,
OR MAY NOT BE APPROPRIATE FOR VIEWING AT WORK.

You have to accept that message to enter the store page and on the bottom:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

This Game may contain content not appropriate for all ages. It contains General Mature Content, and may include Nudity or Sexual Content.

You getting on the forums and complaining IS YOUR OWN FAULT!!!! BE A RESPONSIBLE ADULT and NOT half *** it if you really want to sensor what they see. This was in your face right at the door, GROW UP and take responsibility for your own actions or lack there of.

I will agree that this is more or less how the mature rating is used in real world applications. I will also agree that, if a person does not read the labels, it is entirely their own fault. I do however dislike the use of the word, "mature," for this particular rating, because in my opinion that is not what mature means (to be clear, this is not an issue with the rating itself, rather the word they used to rate it). To me mature would be a game that makes you think about difficult, hard to discuss situations. An easy example is if there was a scene in a game where you were in a room with a sadist who gives you an option between him torturing your mother or torturing your father, where a failure to respond means both get tortured. Then, regardless of which outcome you pick, it throws the long term repercussions of this at you as you continue playing the game. Its facing you the protagonist with a difficult situation where there is no right answer and its also a lot more, "mature" (in my opinion) than anything which is thrown at you in BG 3. Papers please is to me a good example of a mature game.

In my opinion pixel sex is probably fine being lowered to 16 or even below, there isn't really anything mature about it.

Fade to dark is the only tactful solution to romances.
Showing nudity is just a substitute for good writing, as always. I never felt like I needed a graphic sex-scene with Visas, Bastila and the Handmaiden because they were decetly written.
However keep in mind that in BG3, none of the companions are delicate people who are in it for a deep connection, or love, they are in it for the sex (with the possible exception of Shadowheart so far).
Astarion even bluntly tells you that he just considers this to be fun. Laezel acts like a dog in heat, basically treating sex like an itch to be scratched. Not sure about Wyll, didn't see his romance yet, but afaik he has potential for something more. Also Gale is creepy, I don't see why you'd romance that guy, ew...
Anyway, the romances we've seen so far are very low quality, they seem formulaic and out of nowhere. I like Shadowheart's the best because it seems to be nice and slow (as it should be), giving more room for development and letting the characters warm up to each other. As for sex-scenes, I would vastly prefer to just remove them alltogether, not because I hate sex, but because it's always better to leave that for the imagination.

This raises an interesting point about the fact that sometimes, leaving something up to the imagination of the player is better than shoving it in your face. Writers have the well known mantra of, "show, don't tell," and I guess you could say this is kind of like that. Whether or not sex scenes are an example of a situation where this rule is applicable is something I am undecided on, but there are plenty of cases where I think games could do this better, for example, lore. Don't tell me about the world through NPC info-dumps, show me it through the way people dress, the way they talk, their mannerisms, the local architecture, etc. Don't tell me an NPC is angry with me in a dialogue, show it to me through their posture. This is something I think most games fail at, which I think could dramatically enhance the quality of storytelling in games. With that being said, DOS 2 probably had the worst written romances in any RPG I have played and if it is a choice between DOS 2 written romances and cutscenes I think the cutscenes are probably better done.

As for the OP, there will probably be a streamer option when the game is finally ready which disables this stuff, because streamers are one of the big forms of advertising for this game. Whilst I think its good that you are drawing lines and trying to be a good parent (even if I am sure the definition of good parent will differ wildly from person to person in this thread), you should probably have read the ratings a bit more carefully, or looked at some of the press coverage about the game before hand. Swen (the lead developer) has been very open about how there will be sex scenes in the game from the very beginning, I think it is probably one of the games main marketing points.

Last edited by Sharp; 01/12/20 02:21 AM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
More class options > animated sex scenes. Sacrificing resources for something that isn't even important and restricts your market.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard