Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Yglika
Well for me it is exactly opposite. It _immensely_ breaks my immersion if my character does _NOT_ speak his/her lines. I actually fail to even understand how it can break immersion for someone if he/she does but if yes - I agree they could simply give you an option to turn it off. Lucky for you, that's a lot easier solution, than what I need to be happy.

Despite it's simplicity, what I want will probably not be in game and we will need modders to get it done.

itz fo da bettah

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I actually fail to even understand how it can break immersion for someone if he/she does

I believe this example should help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz9t5Gkj4WY&ab_channel=WhatCultureGaming

Its ofc a bit extreme ...
But reasons are the same, just not so obvious.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
The thing is that we have lots of scenes, showing our character close up interacting.
If he is always silent... it looks kinda idiotic.
Really hope that this does not come to pass.

This is easy to solve. Just reduce protagonist screentime by ~90%. It's only awkward because of awkward camerawork.

Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
Especially since our character tends to show his feelings. What are we? Link? grin

That's another problem - custom protagonists showing emotional responses that are very theatrical and overacted, as well as completely unfitting (depending on the character - like squeamish drow).

addict
addict
Well for me it is exactly opposite. It _immensely_ breaks my immersion if my character does _NOT_ speak his/her lines. I actually fail to even understand how it can break immersion for someone if he/she does but if yes - I agree they could simply give you an option to turn it off. Lucky for you, that's a lot easier solution, than what I need to be happy.

This means that you are satisfied with the voice and intonation of your character, because they coincide with what you imagine. For me it pisses me off because they don't. The voice is boring. The intonation is wrong. This breaks my immersion.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
enthusiast
Of course the Protagonist will speak. And SHOULD. Voice number 1 (male, for example) is excellent for multiple builds - especially Wizard Elves, Humans, Tieflings.

Last edited by MarcoNeves; 01/12/20 11:40 AM.
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by MarcoNeves
Of course the Protagonist will speak. And SHOULD. Voice number 1 (male, for example) is excellent for multiple builds - especially Wizard Elves, Humans, Tieflings.

You mean its good for you, and that's all that matters right?

old hand
old hand
I actually fail to even understand how it can break immersion for someone if he/she does but if yes - I agree they could simply give you an option to turn it off

Some examples - your quiet rogue character has a raucous, overly fake and shrill voice. Your berserker barbarian has a clear and polite voice when you want him loud and crass. Any fake voices when you want your character to sound like a real person. Also the constipated sounding nonstop grunts whenever you get hit. Extremely immersion breaking when in stealth. This one not really dialogue related but still annoying.
I will only be happy with forced voices if we have the option to turn them off, rather sick of having to turn sound completely off in games.

Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

That's another problem - custom protagonists showing emotional responses that are very theatrical and overacted, as well as completely unfitting (depending on the character - like squeamish drow).

Yes, this is a big problem. Will play with sound off if I am forced to (due to stupid sounding voices) but impossible to turn off stupid facial expressions.

Originally Posted by MarcoNeves

Well lucky you for having a voice you want to hear. I shall respond in a like manner to you. The Protagonist SHOULD NOT speak as it is immersion breaking.

On a more polite note, I think we can all be happy if the option is there for both voiced and silent. Since we already have silent and they are supposedly adding the voiced, it shouldn't be hard to do.

E
E
I think that the point about custom characters is a good one. For some people the voices offered and entonation, work. For other doesn't. So I think that it would be nice, as an option, to turn off the main character voice.

And I think that people would also appreciate the option to select among 3-4 "personalities", one of them "stoic" that afect the type of expressions. But since I don't know if it is feasible, an option to be inexpressive might be ok too.

Yes as i've seen my halfling talk fluently in some cut scenes. Funnily if i reload the cut scene (scum save) the words are there but sometimes the characters lips wont move..

Weird bugs i guess.

I personally hate silent characters, it feels immersion breaking.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 02/12/20 01:41 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard