Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
Every time I see a post like this I think: "Just implement everything from the fucking book".
I hope Larian realizes that the main criticism towards BG3 is that it is not D&D 5e enough.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Man again totally missing the point, also did you even read what i wrote on my first post? i KNOW what the Half Elf racials are heck i even out right mentioned them during my example (and i used that same website as a source for them even if didn't put the link), and i ALSO know that Larian has left some races without entire racials because for balance and lack of time (it is something that i outright state in my first post) that's the whole point of this forum thread to exchange opinions about it and remind Larian that we would like them to not completely cut them but add them even if sort of modified.

Also on the WoW part yes i can rightly say that most people DON'T CARE about optimization outside high end content, and while yes being optimized does help you breeze through content faster NOT everyone wants to, some actually enjoy taking their to finish things up, so again you are factually wrong saying that eveyone in WoW cares about min/maxing, i for one was never kicked because my spec or talent choice even if i was using a spec that was considered at the time "subpar", so at the very least my experience on those situations has been very different than yours (and yes i'm referring to random groups).

Last edited by marcialhd; 30/11/20 06:39 PM.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Understandable Variant Human does lends itself too much for min/maxing but like i said before that's not the real problem (if people want min/max let them it's their choice) the purpose of this thread is to remind Larian that the source material (5th Edition) gives the player a lot of customization options that aren't that difficult to implement and that by adding them they could help enrich the game, because right now their current system for Early Access is too restrictive.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Couldn't have said better myself, you know the worst part of it all? many of the things in 5e (such as many of the missing racials) aren't actually difficult to implement in a game like this, so it really comes down to either Larian hasn't has the time to implement them or they chose not to because of "balancing" reasons.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hmm you can quote multiple people and respond to everyone in one post using the editor button in case you did not know.

I'm all for more options by the way.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I didn't know i'm actually new here and this was my first thread, so thanks for the info wink also yeah i think that Larian should really lean more towards 5th Edition when it comes to rules and system (specially those related to customization options).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by marcialhd
Couldn't have said better myself, you know the worst part of it all? many of the things in 5e (such as many of the missing racials) aren't actually difficult to implement in a game like this, so it really comes down to either Larian hasn't has the time to implement them or they chose not to because of "balancing" reasons.

My main concern is that making the game less 5e is a deliberate decision. If so, I'd like them to clarify, because what I'm expecting is a pure D&D game given the title.

Last edited by Danielbda; 01/12/20 06:17 PM.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by marcialhd

My main concern is that making the game less 5e is a deliberate decision. If so, I'd like them to clarify, because what I'm expecting is a pure D&D game given the title.

Yeah i too would like them to clarify that because realistically most people interested on this are those who want a D&D game and if they take out what makes it so (the 5e ruleset in this case) then it wouldn't be that but D:OS3.

addict
addict
I suggest they add some slight racial Ability customization, similar to the recent official Tasha's Cauldron ...

I understand such an additional feature is a pain in the butt for the devs who have plenty of their plate, but it makes some race-class combinations more viable, like a Dwarf Paladin with 16 Charisma (instead of max. 15), a Drow Wizard with 16 Int (instead of max. 15 at level 1). In those two good examples, it is only 1 Ability point worth of flexibility or difference with the normal Racial Ability bonuses.

As stated in a few D&D (WotC) books, not every single hero from a given race all have the same stereotypical perks/bonuses.

Although I find the Tasha's Cauldron's racial variants a bit too flexible or generous, some race-class combinations need flexibility added to the "Standard Array" Ability Scores. Like the 1 Ability point change I mention above.

I understand some will request up to +2 in one atypical Ability instead. I can live with that : not a big deal either.

A bit of flexibility could also be a sort of compensation for those who wish to roll Ability points for higher stats (but that is another topic: not a fan of random high Ability scores when trying to balance a D&D game, but racial customization or just being able to get 16 or 17 in any chosen Ability [instead of max. 15] might appease a bit those who would like higher stats).

Last edited by Baraz; 14/12/20 10:29 PM.
B
Banned
Banned
B
I kinda wish we could have negative racial modifiers back like -4Cha for duergar and -2INT for halforcs.
It makes building those characters more of a challange if they have some drawbacks.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Well here we go again...

I have not played Pen and Paper Dungeons Dragons since 3.5 edition... though I have played other pen and paper games like GURPS.

I thought we would get feats often.

Hell no!

It is not that Baldurs Gate 3 is different from Dungeons Dragons 5 rules.

What so now I understand that you get feats at level 4 and next time at level 8... and after that none since level cap is level 10?

That means my characters stats are wrong...

Well good that I noticed that now.... in ALPHA.... I will create a different character to this game.

I became level 3 and then I checked why do I not get new feats???
The answer you can get feats at level 4 and 8 and 12 etc... but since max level is going to be 10 so at level 4 an 8.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 15/12/20 10:05 AM.
addict
addict
@Terminator2020 : Feats can be chosen at each 4 levels in one given class, but you can alternatively chose to gain +2 Ability points instead. 5e is indeed really not generous on that aspect.

I often feel obliged to choose +2 Ability points, which is a bit boring...
I mean the difference between 16 and 18 Dex for example is pretty big or 16 to 18 Int for a Wizard (if you could even start with 16 in the first place!)
Hence also why I suggest a bit of racial flexibility for the starting bonuses, as made more official in the new Tasha's Cauldron...

Last edited by Baraz; 15/12/20 10:14 PM.
old hand
old hand
Nah, attribute flexibility is the human's thing. The other races have their own bonuses.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Dexai
Nah, attribute flexibility is the human's thing. The other races have their own bonuses.

Haven't you read the latest D&D book? Everyone is human now, racial bonuses do not exist anymore.

old hand
old hand
Nah, optional features are made to be opted in or out.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Dexai
Nah, optional features are made to be opted in or out.

With the latest book (Tashas) you can freely swap out attributes, too because everyone is special and not bound by biology.
And from the interviews this is the vision of the future of D&D.

Last edited by Ixal; 16/12/20 08:00 AM.
addict
addict
What I suggest to DMs and Larian is a compromise between the two poles some of you state here, between rigid racial limit (like the Drow Wizard with maximum 15 Int) and the everyone is variant extreme.

a) 1 point Ability flexibility, so some race-class combinations are not too gimped in comparison to others (16 max at level 1 in an important Ability)

b) for the tabletop, sometimes one Tool can be swapped to another. Not relevant to BG3.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Baraz
What I suggest to DMs and Larian is a compromise between the two poles some of you state here, between rigid racial limit (like the Drow Wizard with maximum 15 Int) and the everyone is variant extreme.

a) 1 point Ability flexibility, so some race-class combinations are not too gimped in comparison to others (16 max at level 1 in an important Ability)

b) for the tabletop, sometimes one Tool can be swapped to another. Not relevant to BG3.

I'm just telling you where WotC wants to go with D&D. Personally I am all for hard racial abilities. You can't escape biology. Tools and weapons should be tied to background or class though.

S
veteran
veteran
S
1.) Tashas is terrible and should not be taken seriously
2.) VUman is banned by every DM with half a brain
3.) 5e RAW doesnt work and you shouldnt strive to emulate it, as nobody does.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard