OP Offline
journeyman
I didnt think Elves could be vampires.

He just walks around in daylight?

He heals from eating food?

He's a vampire?

veteran
veteran
Do you want the spoiler answer or do you prefer to play and find out yourself?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Sure drop it on me, I've about done lost faith in this title anyway.

addict
addict
He's Vampire Spawn.... I mean... Did you see his teeth?

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
The tadpole
makes it so he can walk in the sun, go into homes uninvited but water still burns like acid. He also feeds every night on animals/kobolds he claims. (You do find a boar that's been sucked dry). He will suck your blood too(and potentially kill you)

journeyman
journeyman
Elves can be vampires in D&D, it just depends on the edition I guess. I remember reading about a drow vampire in 3.5 ed book about dark elves, there is a vampiric sun elf Jander Sunstar + they exist in Ravenloft rulebooks: http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/v/vampelf.html

I'm not very familiar with 5 ed, but I assume they didn't change this.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm gonna have to read some 5E rules because I was almost certain Elves couldn't be affected by vampirism.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Elves can be Vampires, there are several examples in Forgotten Realms lore. However, more importantly and relevant to BG3, is that Bodhi from BG2 was an elf and a vampire smile

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Yes, I've been reading. Apparently this is rare and they lose all connection to being an Elf. They lose their spark of divinity. I think the Lore gets a little muddy. I always thought Elves were immune to being raised as undead. The fact the "tadpole" allows him to walk in day and eat food is very, very convenient.

journeyman
journeyman
Humans also lose a lot, I mean they become undead bloodsucking monsters bounded to the place they were buried in after all.

Other humanoids also can become vampires. I think one of Drizzt's friends turned into one? And he is a dwarf.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The thing about Elves is that they are divine in nature and nearly immortal already, they don't have "souls" like other races.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I don't remember a Dwarf Vampire, it's probably been 20 years since I read Salvatore's books though.

veteran
veteran
Bodhi, Irenicus's sister is an example of this from BG:2, before 3e, it was a profane act that, I think, meant she was no longer an Elf whatever that means, but still reason enough not to find Astarion so offensive. Personally I don't think a strict adherence to the ruleset is really a reason to have 'lost faith' in a game, especially one so open to modification/interpretation like D&D.

Last edited by Sozz; 01/12/20 08:28 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
It's not just that... on top of the tadpole twist allowing him to disregard his vampirism... kinda lame. Theirs not even a day / night cycle in this game, LOL! The blew money trying to create a big budget movie. All I wanted was a solid modern D&D game.

1. All of the flashy cut scenes and animated dialog is just flash, waste of money. I see it once, after that it's an inconvenience /skip. I would have kept the camera top down and spent the money elsewhere, like solid voice acting and the best D&D writers I could afford. An array of simple model emotes could have told the player everything they need to know during dialog.

2. Interface and Menus don't even try to replicate a BG layout. I should feel back at home when I sit down to play this game.

3. Relationships are written horribly, characters throw themselves at you for no reason, it's just weird.

4. Give me Core Rules Mode / Iron Man mode and I can possibly look past everything else and enjoy this game, probably.

Last edited by Stikyard; 01/12/20 08:41 PM.
veteran
veteran
The elves can't be vampires rule hasn't been around since 2nd ed and as others have said, that rule was broken back then.

I was a little disappointed when 5th edition eliminated the "healing harms undead" rules because I liked the light / dark -- positive plane / negative plane dichotomy but because 5th is so much better than 4th I forgive its flaws smile

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I was a little disappointed when 5th edition eliminated the "healing harms undead" rules

Oooh, and I was wondering why Astarion can drink healing potions. Now I'm disappointed too :P

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
If I'm the DM, Healing harms Undead. I don't care what edition we are playing, LOL!!!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stikyard
It's not just that... on top of the tadpole twist allowing him to disregard his vampirism... kinda lame. Theirs not even a day / night cycle in this game, LOL! The blew money trying to create a big budget movie. All I wanted was a solid modern D&D game.

1. All of the flashy cut scenes and animated dialog is just flash, waste of money. I see it once, after that it's an inconvenience /skip. I would have kept the camera top down and spent the money elsewhere, like solid voice acting and the best D&D writers I could afford. An array of simple model emotes could have told the player everything they need to know during dialog.

2. Interface and Menus don't even try to replicate a BG layout. I should feel back at home when I sit down to play this game.

3. Relationships are written horribly, characters throw themselves at you for no reason, it's just weird.

4. Give me Core Rules Mode / Iron Man mode and I can possibly look past everything else and enjoy this game, probably.

Mostly agreed on the criticisms, though I still haven't given up hope. Time will tell if it's reasonable or naive of me.

That said, may I recommend Solasta (currently also in EA)? Haven't played it yet myself, but from what I can see it looks like a great 5e game. Not very similar to BG, I think it's closer to IWD with faithful 5e mechanics. It's small-scope and not very "shiny", but seems to do a great job of keeping the "spirit" of D&D.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I was a little disappointed when 5th edition eliminated the "healing harms undead" rules because I liked the light / dark -- positive plane / negative plane dichotomy but because 5th is so much better than 4th I forgive its flaws smile

Whaat? I didn't know that. Add another soul to the disappointment pile.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Stikyard

Holy mother of God....this ^^

So freaking true. It seems so plain and obvious but no one takes this route?
Imagine the following a company would have if they would just keep to the basics. *Shrugs*

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard