Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Thrandarian
Originally Posted by Stikyard

1. All of the flashy cut scenes and animated dialog is just flash, waste of money. I see it once, after that it's an inconvenience /skip. I would have kept the camera top down and spent the money elsewhere, like solid voice acting and the best D&D writers I could afford. An array of simple model emotes could have told the player everything they need to know during dialog.

Holy mother of God....this ^^

So freaking true. It seems so plain and obvious but no one takes this route?
Imagine the following a company would have if they would just keep to the basics. *Shrugs*

bored. old. game.
only cuz someone 'I should feel back at home' You forget about a lot of people who positively rated the bg3 animation. And there are a lot of them.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
journeyman
journeyman
If this game didn't have cinematic dialogues I wouldn't even be interested in it so, you know, not all of us want "just the basics". These scenes can be done better - maybe they will be, it's EA - but I really prefer them to look like this than not existing at all, like in DOS. For some players less isn't more.

Last edited by Phea; 01/12/20 09:19 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
I would be okay with narration over animated cut-scenes, but if you don’t know that most gamers prefer the latter over the former then are sorely out of touch. Larian is trying to break into the AAA market. They can’t do that with the bare minimum. Most people’s expectations are higher.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Count me in as one of the those who wouldn't be as interested if the game was just the basics.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Larian is trying to break into the AAA market. They can’t do that with the bare minimum.

Good for them, I hope they will succeed. Companies also learn and you can't learn without making mistakes. Compare CD Projekt's Witcher 1 to Witcher 3 - there would be no Wild Hunt without 2 previous games. I'm happy Larian is trying to make new stuff and evolve. I don't mind if they are not perfect yet.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by HarbsNarbs
Elves can be Vampires, there are several examples in Forgotten Realms lore. However, more importantly and relevant to BG3, is that Bodhi from BG2 was an elf and a vampire smile

Actually no. Bodhi lost her elvenhood and then became as vampire to stay alive. So basically she was explicitly a non-elf vampire.

I don't remember a Dwarf Vampire, it's probably been 20 years since I read Salvatore's books though.

Certainly there, Thibbledorf Pwent if I am not mistaken.

stranger
stranger
I didnt think Elves could be vampires.

Curious, why'd you assume that?

The fact the "tadpole" allows him to walk in day and eat food is very, very convenient.

It's hardly a normal illithid tadpole, while we don't know what exactly happened, it seems to have been tampered with using Netherese magic. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited by Weiglgasse; 01/12/20 09:46 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

1. All of the flashy cut scenes and animated dialog is just flash, waste of money. I see it once, after that it's an inconvenience /skip. I would have kept the camera top down and spent the money elsewhere, like solid voice acting

Seriously? BG 3 and DoS 2 have like the best voice acting by far i witnessed in a video game ever, even without fan boy mode activated you can not critizise that

enthusiast
enthusiast
Elves by nature are banned from Elven heaven by Cor himself. Elves have souls, they just get sent back to the mortal plane. If they get corrupted then they won't even be sent to his realm after death and won't reincarnate. They are lost. Same with cross breeding. Elven trance is them reliving past lives and if they are young enough they relive the time before Lloth's betrayal and Elven banishment. Essentially reliving the last time they were in heaven. To cut an elf off this with vampirism is far worse than it seems. It is the thing elves treasure the most. They even stole a piece of heaven a hide it on an island. Half elves are unclear as to the nature of their soul though so they may have a chance to reincarnate. Drow are 100 percent cut off. They might have a chance at peace with Elistree but she won't return them to Cor she would just take them since she is banned as well but by choice.

Thats what I know in short of Elven history. Astarion has probably been cut off for so long he does not remember much and it could be what he considers "home" in the scene with the magic mirror. Being cut off from the Elven cycle and the Elven connection to the weave was probably devastating. Elven communites would know instantly that he was not right and probably kill him the moment he was in range of the sort of sense they have that connects pure elves that I think is divine in nature too. Especially Elven mages trained in Elvish high magic.

All this assuming the lore was not changed.

Also flashy games are superior is my stance.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 02/12/20 03:00 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Eldath
Originally Posted by HarbsNarbs
Elves can be Vampires, there are several examples in Forgotten Realms lore. However, more importantly and relevant to BG3, is that Bodhi from BG2 was an elf and a vampire smile

Actually no. Bodhi lost her elvenhood and then became as vampire to stay alive. So basically she was explicitly a non-elf vampire.

That's true about Bodhi. However, it's not true about another elf - Aerie, whom Bodhi can potentially turn into a vampire. Unless Aerie counts as a gnome?

veteran
veteran
Does the fact that Bodhi was stripped of her Elvenhood preclude something similar happening to Astarion?

Originally Posted by Aishaddai

yes, and I'm a little concerned by how much of a zero-sum people regard cinematics, dialogue, and writing.

EDIT: I also think that this bit of lore has just been dropped by WotC based on their reluctance to get too deep into their own lore. i.e. two recent reboots

Last edited by Sozz; 02/12/20 02:41 AM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
If I wanted cinema, I would buy a movie. I'm a nuts and bolts gamer. Give me solid mechanics and as much playable content as you can stuff into the game. Cut scenes and flash are really not important to me at all. I still play BG1 and BG2 because they are solid games with a lot of content. The graphics are really not an issue at all.

A couple other series that went bad for graphics is Heroes of Might and Magic and Ghost Recon, Final Fantasy is hit and miss, I'm sure you guys could think of a handful of games that sacrificed gameplay for flashy graphics and half the content.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sozz
Does the fact that Bodhi was stripped of her Elvenhood preclude something similar happening to Astarion?

Originally Posted by Aishaddai

yes, and I'm a little concerned by how much of a zero-sum people regard cinematics, dialogue, and writing.

EDIT: I also think that this bit of lore has just been dropped by WotC based on their reluctance to get too deep into their own lore. i.e. two recent reboots

That would be a real shame since dnd lore is my favorite part of dnd.

Edit: You don't have to choose between gameplay and graphics. Dev blow too much on PR stunts to maximize profits. If the goal was to make a good game instead of maximize profit then it would be a different world.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 02/12/20 03:08 AM.
I still don't get the health potions and healing spells... Sure the tadpole affects his vampire curse but it shouldn't do anything to his dead curse.. Potions and healing spells are for living creatures, Vampires are dead, dead is dead..

How does the tadpole even survive in him..

Last edited by DanteYoda; 02/12/20 03:05 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just off looks and not mechanics I'd guess he would be classified as cursed mortal rather than cused undead. Gale mentions to Wyll that the tadpole nerfed and changed them to some degree already.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DanteYoda

This is the question that gets overlooked the most. Why would a tadpole ever enter a dead body?

This whole vampire story seems so out of place with everything else that is happening. They just wanted a vampire companion because someone thinks vampires are cool and forced it in.

For me, this is a really watered down version of a vampire slapped on top of an already complicated plot. They should have shown restraint and waited for an opportunity to tell a proper vampire story later in the game.

Last edited by 1varangian; 02/12/20 04:48 AM.
Originally Posted by 1varangian

This is the question that gets overlooked the most. Why would a tadpole ever enter a dead body?

This whole vampire story seems so out of place with everything else that is happening. They just wanted a vampire companion because someone thinks vampires are cool and forced it in.

For me, this is a really watered down version of a vampire slapped on top of an already complicated plot. They should have shown restraint and waited for an opportunity to tell a proper vampire story later in the game.

Or, you know, magic. Why can't the tadpole feed on vampire flesh? I mean, if nothing else, it could feed on the living blood the vampire feeds on.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian

It's a magic tadpole which magic magic.

But Astarion doesn't seem all that dead, really. I'm not sure a tadpole could tell, as it was crawling in, that he was a vampire, and once inside it apparently goes into stasis, so it doesn't need to feed. Would Astarion become a vampiric mind flayer if he transformed? Who knows at this point?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Another thing about the party building. I felt like just around every corner was another party member just jumping out of nowhere... literally to join the party. This could just be an easy excuse for early access but, I hope this changes. I would like a little time and exploration to find new party members. They just seem thrown at me.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard