Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
It's definitely movement in a direction I like. I haven't played on more than a month, so I'll see how the game feels now.

veteran
veteran
Looks all great, but somehow I feel a little bit underwhelmed after this long wait. I hope that everyone is happy now about the cantrip surfaces!

journeyman
journeyman
Heck yeah, I'd taken a break from the game for a while but these updates are enough to make me pick it up again! Not having to micromanage jumping is reason enough to get back to it.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Excited about the auto jumping. That's one of the things I really wanted. Hopefully no one misses and falls like Us can on the Nautiloid.

veteran
veteran
This is a solid patch.

> Significant changes made based on popular feedback topics (surfaces, party jump, failure in dialogue, spellbar organization, pacifist exp, SH dexterity), with multiple mentions of "collecting hundreds of pages of feedback from" the forums, reddit, steam, etc.
> Perhaps most importantly, A TIMELINE!
Can expect patch 4 after the holidays
Now we know roughly when to expect a new patch. Please continue with this at least this level of timeline information Larian.
And less specific but still useful:
[implementing the hundreds of pages of things to do, collected from feedback] will take a couple months

Unfortunate that we won't get new classes/story content, but it makes sense to prioritize important game mechanics/game feel early in the EA process.

veteran
veteran
I think it is safe to expect at least 1 new class in the next patch!

apprentice
apprentice
Sounds amazing, but i will wait for some after patch which will add some new content.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
....But real question is... Can we rotate our character in the inventory screens?

Lol seriously though, thanks Larian for the big patch!

Patch looks good, keep up the good work!

journeyman
journeyman
I think there will be some things to re-evaluate considering all the gameplay mechanics changed. I definitely will give each class a run through again.

old hand
old hand
Great job, auto jump will greatly improve the gameplay. What about the evil root? At least a few bugs could be fixed there, or will it be completely in a new patch?
Interestingly, the pacifist path. Can you avoid killing goblins and tifflings/druids on the pacifist's path?

If my truly neutral hero does not want to kill living beings at all, and in search of universal harmony and balance.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
Oh FFS Larian. You're going to shave years off my lifespan, I'm on a "gonna be the best game ever"/"blasphemy against the genre" rollercoaster. Here I am losing hope and you release this Good Patch(TM). How dare you. (And I can't be mad at Swen, the man has ridiculous Charisma.)

In seriousness: looks great! So many requested changes. And, what's important, in different areas. Story, companions, mechanics, QoL, visuals. No "heavy stuff", but the "heavy stuff" (major overhauls/reworks, new systems) is of course going to take more time. (Party size could be easily changed though. Hint, hint.) One of the things I'm most worried about for this game is Larian's stubbornness and unwillingness to change. This patch makes me more optimistic about it.

Btw, I was going to casually drop the new CP2077 photo model trailer on these forums, but now I see Michael tweeted about it. laugh Hardly something of high priority, but eventually it would be nice to have a photo mode in BG3. (Along with portrait studio. Hint, hint.)

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Unfortunate that we won't get new classes/story content, but it makes sense to prioritize important game mechanics/game feel early in the EA process.

Why? You're probably right about the story content (Act 1 only, as was said), but I don't see why new classes, races and companions couldn't be added alongside tweaks and fixes (hopefully some rehauls). Those need testing as well. And are likely at more or less advanced stage of development.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

Why? You're probably right about the story content (Act 1 only, as was said), but I don't see why new classes, races and companions couldn't be added alongside tweaks and fixes (hopefully some rehauls). Those need testing as well. And are likely at more or less advanced stage of development.

I'm not saying these things couldn't be added simultaneously, just that it's more important to test on far-reaching universal gameplay things (like surfaces) early on, when you have plenty of time to test and refine these changes.

The new classes/races are going to be added regardless and should mostly require bug-fixing, not iterative testing. Especially since we basically have all the types of classes already (known&prepared caster, rogue, fighter)
Companions, however, I'd put into the category of "important to add soon" because their dialogue and interactions with other companions will probably require a lot of iterative changes.

N
old hand
old hand
N
The game feels much more fluid and the images are crisps. The performance has been improved greatly.

addict
addict

I'm not saying these things couldn't be added simultaneously, just that it's more important to test on far-reaching universal gameplay things (like surfaces) early on, when you have plenty of time to test and refine these changes.

The new classes/races are going to be added regardless and should mostly require bug-fixing, not iterative testing. Especially since we basically have all the types of classes already (known&prepared caster, rogue, fighter)
Companions, however, I'd put into the category of "important to add soon" because their dialogue and interactions with other companions will probably require a lot of iterative changes.

Fair points. Still, I think classes will need testing in terms of how the mechanics play out, not just bug testing. Some of the classes have potentially problematic features, like Druid. Some should indeed be implemented later, once Larian knows what to do with reactions and similar mechanics (Bard, Paladin). Both classes and races need (narrative) interaction testing, though I suppose it's not a huge thing.

If, on the other hand, they want to throw the players a bone and release a low-workload class, Barbarian might be good (unless I'm underestimating the complexity of rage implementation).

enthusiast
enthusiast
The patch is amazing and I'm extremely happy the studio actually listen to feedbacks!
I just hope the characters won't be less characterised only to make them more agreeable.

As soon as they fix my dual-wielding talents, I'll be at peace.

Amazing job!

journeyman
journeyman
Stadia is once again the forgotten stepchild. Still no patch on stadia. That's pretty disappointing. I paid the same price for the game as people on Steam. I'm not complaining about what the patch consists of. I'm just complaining that stadia still doesn't have it.

Shaolin Stoner
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sharet
The patch is amazing and I'm extremely happy the studio actually listen to feedbacks!
I just hope the characters won't be less characterised only to make them more agreeable.

As soon as they fix my dual-wielding talents, I'll be at peace.

Amazing job!

+1 I hope companions aren't watered down due to a couple insufferable know it all here

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I hope that patch 4 makes the evil/absolute path make a bit more sense. Patch 3 proves that a lot of feedback has been listened to, so that makes me optimistic about the remaining issues being resolved

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
addict
addict

They cannot be added because they are basically variants of existing ones. So Larian first need to get things working with this few and then moving to adding the rest really won't be a problem.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard