Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm playing patch 3 and at first I thought this was a bug, but I'm not so sure.

I was interacting with Us on the ship and got to do the Medicine check due to the successful Investigation check. The Medicine check should grant you Advantage, and indeed it does if you mouse over the option. However, upon rolling, I did not meet the target (I rolled a 6 when the target was 8). Instead of having me roll again due to Advantage, the only option I got was to continue. I haven't been able to successfully recreate this with all of my save scumming attempts due to RNG (I've either failed the Investigation check or succeeded on the Medicine check the first try), but then I noticed when I moused over the Medicine check option what it says about Advantage: "Use the highest roll from 1d20+2". This should be 2d20+2, right? Or, "Use the highest result from rolling 1d20+2 twice". Have they changed the way that it functions or is this an error? I even went into the Tutorial section to see if would give a better description, but no such luck. It just mentions the higher chance of hitting your target, but does not go into the calculation process.

Last edited by dreambled; 02/12/20 07:44 PM.
veteran
veteran
Advantage is not the same as re-rolling after a failure. It is a simultaneous roll of 2d20, choosing the higher. Presumably, the game is doing this under the hood and only showing you the highest result.
In your case, your two rolls were {6, <6} so the game chose 6 as the higher option. Unlucky, but it happens.

I assume that medicine check "Use the highest roll from 1d20+2" is just worded improperly. You're right that it should say "use the highest roll from 1d20+2 rolled twice"

Unfortunately there's no way to check if the game is actually rolling 1 or 2 d20s without recording dozens of rolls w/Advantage and doing statistics on the results. I would like it if the game showed you both rolls when you rolled with advantage/disadvantage, as this would be easier to understand by players.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Unfortunately there's no way to check if the game is actually rolling 1 or 2 d20s without recording dozens of rolls w/Advantage and doing statistics on the results. I would like it if the game showed you both rolls when you rolled with advantage/disadvantage, as this would be easier to understand by players.

Wholeheartedly agree on this. There’s something really satisfying about rolling two dice, it would be great if they showed this onscreen. Kinda surprised they haven’t implemented this already – it would also help newbies get up to speed with the mechanic so much faster.

OP Offline
Advantage is not the same as re-rolling after a failure. It is a simultaneous roll of 2d20, choosing the higher. Presumably, the game is doing this under the hood and only showing you the highest result.
In your case, your two rolls were {6, <6} so the game chose 6 as the higher option. Unlucky, but it happens.

I assume that medicine check "Use the highest roll from 1d20+2" is just worded improperly. You're right that it should say "use the highest roll from 1d20+2 rolled twice"

I would agree this is the case in combat, but in dialogues, you get to initiate the roll and reroll. It makes no sense to use the combat version of rolling in the dice rolling screen, especially when there is a reroll option the player can use.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by dreambled

I would agree this is the case in combat, but in dialogues, you get to initiate the roll and reroll. It makes no sense to use the combat version of rolling in the dice rolling screen, especially when there is a reroll option the player can use.

You’re getting your mechanics confused. Advantage has nothing to do with re-rolling. Inspiration and certain other abilities let you re-roll, like the Lucky feat.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by LukasPrism

You’re getting your mechanics confused. Advantage has nothing to do with re-rolling. Inspiration and certain other abilities let you re-roll, like the Lucky feat.

Advantage does have everything to do with rerolling in 5e, but what I'm understanding from you guys is that for some reason this was never part of the dice rolling process players can do in the game.

I feel hoodwinked. They definitely need to change this.

L
addict
addict
L
[quote=LukasPrism]

Advantage does have everything to do with rerolling in 5e, but what I'm understanding from you guys is that for some reason this was never part of the dice rolling process players can do in the game.

Advantage and re-rolling are quite different things in 5E, as explained by mrfuji3. The fact that you have them confused is exactly why Larian needs to explain these concepts better.

There are cases where you can roll with advantage/disadvantage AND do a re-roll, which is why this needs to be cleared up.

journeyman
journeyman

Wholeheartedly agree on this. There’s something really satisfying about rolling two dice, it would be great if they showed this onscreen. Kinda surprised they haven’t implemented this already – it would also help newbies get up to speed with the mechanic so much faster.

I wonder if the game actually rolls two dice in the background or if all the chances are just pre populated in a table and the game choose the correct one to apply.

For example: for a target of 10 a single roll has 55% to win, advantage has 79.75% to win, and disadvantage has 30.25% to win. The game only need to apply the correct chance to display on the screen without actually rolling anything in the background.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by Alon Binyamin

I wonder if the game actually rolls two dice in the background or if all the chances are just pre populated in a table and the game choose the correct one to apply.

For example: for a target of 10 a single roll has 55% to win, advantage has 79.75% to win, and disadvantage has 30.25% to win. The game only need to apply the correct chance to display on the screen without actually rolling anything in the background.

I actually like seeing the result of the two d20 rolls and which one was selected or dropped, like how it’s done in VTTs and Solasta. Makes it feel more like the tabletop game and feels more ‘honest' – but maybe that’s because I’ve been playing actual D&D for years.

OP Offline
[quote=LukasPrism]

Advantage and re-rolling are quite different things in 5E, as explained by mrfuji3. The fact that you have them confused is exactly why Larian needs to explain these concepts better.

There are cases where you can roll with advantage/disadvantage AND do a re-roll, which is why this needs to be cleared up.

I see what's happening here. I am using reroll in the literal sense of the action, not in the sense meant to explain how Advantage/Disadvantage works, that's my bad and I can see why you would think I believe that. In my D&D game I just have 1d20 to roll, so when I have Advantage/Disadvantage I have to reroll the same dice to get the other number. In this game, we have 1d20 on the screen, so iIf we have Advantage/Disadvantage, we should be able to use the Reroll button in order to get the second number. If Larian wants to get fancy, then maybe in a future update they will have two d20s on the screen when you have Advantage/Disadvantage.

L
addict
addict
L
[quote=LukasPrism]

I see what's happening here. I am using reroll in the literal sense of the action, not in the sense meant to explain how Advantage/Disadvantage works, that's my bad and I can see why you would think I believe that. In my D&D game I just have 1d20 to roll, so when I have Advantage/Disadvantage I have to reroll the same dice to get the other number. In this game, we have 1d20 on the screen, so iIf we have Advantage/Disadvantage, we should be able to use the Reroll button in order to get the second number. If Larian wants to get fancy, then maybe in a future update they will have two d20s on the screen when you have Advantage/Disadvantage.

Gotcha – in actual D&D you should always roll twice because a higher roll can unlock more info at higher DCs, you might crit etc. Using a re-roll button for advantage is sending the wrong message imo. Rolling two dice onscreen simultaneously and highlighting the best one is the way to go. Then if you need to you can hit re-roll if you have Inspiration, Lucky etc. There also needs to be a way to spend bardic inspiration when that arrives.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This is exactly what they should do. Show two dice, the higher one highlights, then it's clear.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alon Binyamin

Interesting idea but I doubt the game is doing this. After all, the game does show the actual d20 result in the combat log/dialogue window.
It would be needlessly complex to do what you're suggesting (convert all d20 rolls, including adv/disadvantage, to flat percentages) but then convert the percentage back to the corresponding # on a d20 (which only increments in percentages of 5%, so 79.75% would have to be rounded to a 5 or 6 on the die).

Yep, what @LukasPrism says. There is absolutely no reason to not roll twice (your "reroll"), so the game should just do it automatically. Also this preserves other game mechanics which actually allow rerolls (e.g., Halflings can reroll 1's)

Link Copied to Clipboard