Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 49 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 48 49
I'm glad this thread is still alive and well.
But I'm not so glad that Larian still havent made an effort to acknowledge that the party management/movement is in dire need of improvement. Well, not just improvement. More like a complete revamp.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Tuco
Unless a moderator comes in and "solves the problem", you'll have to live with your freak out.

#"When you wish upon a star....."

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Unless a moderator comes in and "solves the problem", you'll have to live with your freak out.

#"When you wish upon a star....."

omg thank you so much
now I can live in peace

addict
addict
The thread is saved!!!!

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by 1varangian
CUT

And add auto jump.

That's it !!!
i know that every single PC have different stat (strenght), but maybe if you have a rope in your inventory you can have the option
to make an "auto jump" or a sort of (pyramids grin ) teleport, everything is better than select 4 player and have to select 4 jump.

veteran
veteran
Does anyone who has played other party based RPG's like this control scheme? Why is it still a thing? Because of consoles I guess.

I mean.. by all means keep it as an option, but add a [select all] fast key and marquee selection. And default the chain follow OFF.

D
D
The chain/unchain system is reserved for console platform, where it is better to control single character.

If Larian still wants to make it to console, they will never change it back to old crpg style.

Sadly but this is the truth. Just look at Dragon age, DOS2 was inspired by the party move style from DAO. And DAI is more a console game than a PC game with an awkward tactical system. Hope BG3 won’t follow the same pattern.

old hand
old hand
We Demand More Sexy party movement

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by dunehunter
And DAI is more a console game than a PC game with an awkward tactical system. Hope BG3 won’t follow the same pattern.

DAI's party control and camera were terrible when trying to play it with mouse & keyboard.

Though I suspect Larian won't pay attention to this feeback; they seem too focused on their data gathering system. Which won't tell them e.g. that the reason my party spent so much time in the Underdark was the constant party controls vs. difficult terrain battle.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I keep going back and trying to play further in the Early Access, because I like the Forgotten Realms, and the exploration in this game is pretty cool and compelling, but I just can't play for more than 30-45 minutes at a time because I'm fed up with how much of a chore it is to just move the party around. This is why I bounced of DoS1 and 2 as well; fun combat sandbox, but the controls and UI make it too much trouble to play those games.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Not to be the Negative Nancy, but I'm almost afraid this bullshit palliative with followers auto-umping after your MC is ALL the improvement we'll ever see on the front of party controls.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dunehunter
The chain/unchain system is reserved for console platform, where it is better to control single character.

If Larian still wants to make it to console, they will never change it back to old crpg style.

Sadly but this is the truth. Just look at Dragon age, DOS2 was inspired by the party move style from DAO. And DAI is more a console game than a PC game with an awkward tactical system. Hope BG3 won’t follow the same pattern.

I don't see why controller support should torpedoe it. Pathfinder Kingmaker did it well, with a simple toggle between driving style movement and quick switch to cursor style with one of the thumbsticks. It's also a pretty seamless transition there between a mouse/keyboard and marquee type scheme to a controller based scheme, and they even bothered to put in a tutorial for each. Having seen it done I'd have thought they'd go with something much more like that to capture a more essential BG feel. PK style but in 3D and with camera rotation would have been next level Baldur's Gate! Alas

But I agree what they did here is way closer to DAO or their divinity titles than the old school crpg. They should have just gone straight to console if that was the plan. It already feels more like Dragon Age or Dark Alliance or Demonstone, than BG2 anyway. Right now it feels like playing a game that was designed for controller, but for some reason being forced to play it with a mouse and keyboard, which is just kind of annoying.

I think its all still more the UI that needs work, and the selection/command scheme that needs the work, and just get rid of the body block already for party members.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 03/12/20 10:32 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Not to be the Negative Nancy, but I'm almost afraid this bullshit palliative with followers auto-umping after your MC is ALL the improvement we'll ever see on the front of party controls.

Wait, it doesn't feel naturally to you, that people run into detected traps/open fires just because? wink

addict
addict
It's hard for me to say for sure, but I think movement in combat has actually got worse with this patch! Did the undead crypt fight and the pathing for party members was atrocious, some super bizarre routing. Would appreciate knowing if anyone else has noticed this.

Im afraid of that as well

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
When it comes to controller support I'm playing on Stadia and use the controller sometimes. Don't see any problems when i go back to mouse and keyboard.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Veilburner
When it comes to controller support I'm playing on Stadia and use the controller sometimes. Don't see any problems when i go back to mouse and keyboard.

Are you sure you are in the right thread?
Because this isn't about controller support. It's about how shitty the default control scheme is compared to other titles in the genre.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Originally Posted by Veilburner

Are you sure you are in the right thread?
Because this isn't about controller support. It's about how shitty the default control scheme is compared to other titles in the genre.

Was responding to someone who said if they added controller support it would no longer be a CRPG.

Originally Posted by Grantig

Wait, it doesn't feel naturally to you, that people run into detected traps/open fires just because? wink

Whaaat? You mean your friends don't throw themselves off cliffs into fire the second you try and cast guidance on one of them?!

Larian, your controls suck. From the camera, party movement, to pathing, to casting spells on targets... its all terrible. I just don't understand why, when there is a basic control scheme that works well for hundreds of other games, you decide to reinvent the wheel and start with a square blob of flaming poop rather than a wooden circle.

Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
It's hard for me to say for sure, but I think movement in combat has actually got worse with this patch! Did the undead crypt fight and the pathing for party members was atrocious, some super bizarre routing. Would appreciate knowing if anyone else has noticed this.

My party wouldn't even walk in the bottom level of the crypt... its way worse now, which is kind of impressive.

Page 16 of 49 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard