Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It's a nigh-universal sentiment that saying "I told you so" and gloating when you're right is crass, and not a good look for anyone. I agree with that thought, as it really is very obnoxious.

But...

In this case, I am perfectly willing to be obnoxious.

I told you! Look at this update, look at how many things they changed DIRECTLY from our feedback! All you jokers that kept saying "oh they don't care about our feedback, oh they're not gonna change anything, oh Larian doesn't give a crap about us", how does it feel to be profoundly wrong? They ARE listening, they DO care. I told you yahoos to just be patient, and now I'm just over here swimming in my fundamental rightness like Scrooge McDuck through his pool full of gold.

Also, thanks Larian! You guys are awesome.

addict
addict
Revel in your obnoxiousness - I have yet in 35 odd years of gaming played an early access game, played for 75.5 hours & be looking forward to a 3rd restart - love the changes - yes they are listening - thank you Larian & keep up the great work - this is going to be a classic & the D&D game we all hope for( well in my opinion anyway )

I'll get back to you once (if) they change the evil path for the better and remove the gazillon containers, barrels and grenades from enemies.

Last edited by Moirnelithe; 03/12/20 06:19 PM.
veteran
veteran
This patch is great no doubt about it. I also feel like overall Larian have their their priorities set, and they putting their resources into the right things. Are there things I wish they would put more work into? Sure, but I also understand I'm not alone here and there are other players with different priorities that should be accounted for. And of course, I think Larian has their own priorities when designing a game, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
I like to think it's a direct result of my inflammatory posts!

addict
addict
I waited until this patch was complete to write my feedback post where i don't mention barrelmancy once. I think they actually changed certain things to be heavy as shit so you cant lug them around no more, but i didnt look into it properly since i was concentrating on things which i feel are actual major issues with the game.

anyway, heres wot i think about the game now this patch is released: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=741144#Post741144

veteran
veteran
I find the whole "in your face" approach some are taking kinda odd. Odd and not so helpful?

Anyway some good changes were made and there is still a way to go. Glad people spoke out and glad devs listened.

Banned
Banned
I know this may be kinda dumb on my part but where can I find the patchnotes? xD

Originally Posted by Eldath
I know this may be kinda dumb on my part but where can I find the patchnotes? xD

Latest News section, at the top, Community Update 11. It was also emailed to me (shrug)

addict
addict
I don't like how they try to change the identity of companions for the sake of snowflake reviews. Sometimes NOT LISTENING is a better decision.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Originally Posted by Nyloth
I don't like how they try to change the identity of companions for the sake of snowflake reviews. Sometimes NOT LISTENING is a better decision.

They explicitly said they didn't try to change the identity, but if we're going to throw around the term snowflake, then I would attribute it more to the companions themselves considering they went out of their way to make inane backstories. It doesn't help when they also make them almost unlikeable and at the very least unrelatable.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Blade238

They explicitly said they didn't try to change the identity, but if we're going to throw around the term snowflake, then I would attribute it more to the companions themselves considering they went out of their way to make inane backstories. It doesn't help when they also make them almost unlikeable and at the very least unrelatable.

And yet they made them "softer" just because someone started crying. Snowflake it's not about stupid background. This is about someone's vulnerability to other people's words. Our heroes are not vulnerable, they are harsh in their statements.

addict
addict

Yeah, it makes me sad, as far a video game actually can, that of all the many plot-related things they could have changed character characterisation was one of them. "Person I met in game was mean to me fix this," just feels so weak.

addict
addict
This is indeed a great patch that brings back a tiny bit of optimism for me. (Though, to be clear, I was never among the "feedback is useless" crowd.)

However, I'll wait with more optimism until they prove they're willing to make more "bold" and serious changes the game imo is in dire need of. Of course, I'm not expecting ten reworks this instant, bigger features and deeper systemic changes obviously take a lot of time (and/or consideration).

Btw, I just remembered something - I expected this patch to bring the much-requested all-party conversations, Swen said it was supposed to be included at EA release iirc. I wonder if they have some major problems with it? Or just not a priority?

And yet they made them "softer" just because someone started crying. Snowflake it's not about stupid background. This is about someone's vulnerability to other people's words. Our heroes are not vulnerable, they are harsh in their statements.

I haven't played the update and have no intentions until they actually add more content, but their description of the changes seemed to mention not being completely negative all of the time like they were previously. That's not good writing, that's making completely unlikeable and nagging characters that neither end of the alignment spectrum would tolerate.

Hell, if I made an evil character I'd be slaughtering the lot of them for their constant whining and nonsense. My good aligned character put up with it in hopes they'd show some minute character development or some sensical writing, but was constantly disappointed (most of all with Shadowheart by the end). If your idea of a snowflake is someone pointing out the flaws (read criticizing, not crying) in unlikeable characters and bad writing (like say a party of vampire spawns, heroes or those who was so powerful and gifted he banged a goddess) rather than characters that are offended by everything and have this need to be unique despite the absurdity, then you should probably rethink the terminology lol

I'm personally happy they made the changes they did (if it's an improvement, again I haven't played it), otherwise I wish there was an option to call them out on all of their whining, tell them to shut up or outright backhand the lot of them. If that meant I'd have to play a solo character, then I'd happily do so. Hopefully when new content is plugged in and I decide to play again I won't be absolutely annoyed by the companions this time around.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think the 3rd patch indicates the game is headed in the right direction. It's not there yet but it's getting there. The graphics at 4k HDR with my 5700XT are excellent--big improvement there and in most animations--in comparison with patch 2, of course.

Started over, so I'm unsure of who is supposed to be a "snowflake" now...;) I just joined up with Shadowheart and picked the lock to the building off the beach--first time--I like that--my Ranger human did that! Patch 2 he didn't seem capable of picking his nose.

Things are flowing a lot better, now, as I'd expect. The one completely incongruous area of the game for me atm is resting for the night at a campsite. I don't get it. They decide to pack it in for the day and suddenly they are magically transported to a heretofore unseen, unexplored area of the game--the campsite. They may do a bit of talking and then hit the sack. Next morning--boom, they are magically transported to the general area where they were when they decided to call it a day the night before! It's very immersive-breaking--it's jolting. It would be a lot better if they'd find the campsite area early on and decide to make it their camping area for the time being, etc. Put a Way Point there, for instance. Much better. It flows.

One last suggestion about camping: When my character decides to hit his sleeping bag--please change the dialog! "Do you want to go to bed now?" Sounds like a mother tucking her ten-year-old in for the night. Also: sleeping bags or mats or whatever they are, are not "beds"--as it appears the distinction is not fully appreciated by the devs at this point...;)

"Ready to call it a night?" or "Time to rest your weary bones?" or "Ready to hit the sack?" All much better alternatives. I would highly recommend considering this...;)

Last edited by Waltc; 04/12/20 08:39 PM.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
addict
addict
or outright backhand the lot of them

you dont sound like you would make a very pleasant companion.

addict
addict

I haven't played the update and have no intentions until they actually add more content, but their description of the changes seemed to mention not being completely negative all of the time like they were previously. That's not good writing, that's making completely unlikeable and nagging characters that neither end of the alignment spectrum would tolerate.

Hell, if I made an evil character I'd be slaughtering the lot of them for their constant whining and nonsense. My good aligned character put up with it in hopes they'd show some minute character development or some sensical writing, but was constantly disappointed (most of all with Shadowheart by the end). If your idea of a snowflake is someone pointing out the flaws (read criticizing, not crying) in unlikeable characters and bad writing (like say a party of vampire spawns, heroes or those who was so powerful and gifted he banged a goddess) rather than characters that are offended by everything and have this need to be unique despite the absurdity, then you should probably rethink the terminology lol

I'm personally happy they made the changes they did (if it's an improvement, again I haven't played it), otherwise I wish there was an option to call them out on all of their whining, tell them to shut up or outright backhand the lot of them. If that meant I'd have to play a solo character, then I'd happily do so. Hopefully when new content is plugged in and I decide to play again I won't be absolutely annoyed by the companions this time around.

Nonsense. I play the evil drow all the time, and I don’t have problem with Lae and Astarion. We have the same views on the situation, so I do not encounter rude statements. When you play a good character or do something they don't like, they react. This is what happened to others and it is logical.

I know how to distinguish criticism from whining. If you say that you are offended by a fictional character, simply because he does not indulge your choices - this is whining.

+ The fact that they annoy you only suggests that they have prescribed personalities and views. They don't need to satisfy you in everything.

Last edited by Nyloth; 03/12/20 11:49 PM.

addict
addict
Nonsense. I play the evil drow all the time, and I don’t have problem with Lae and Astarion. We have the same views on the situation, so I do not encounter rude statements. When you play a good character or do something they don't like, they react. This is what happened to others and it is logical.

I know how to distinguish criticism from whining. If you say that you are offended by a fictional character, simply because he does not indulge your choices - this is whining.

+ The fact that they annoy you only suggests that they have prescribed personalities and views. They don't need to satisfy you in everything.

lol. careful there bud or you'll end up on "Blade238"'s backhanding list.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Every time I read "weak" and "snowflake" ;-)
[Linked Image]

They could add new 'good' companions and people's attention would move. Now they waste resources for paceholder VA that will need polish in the future.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard