Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
I'll get back to you once (if) they change the evil path for the better and remove the gazillon containers, barrels and grenades from enemies.

Yes thats whats actually obnoxious.

Dunno whats to gloat about, still so many serious bugs not fixed and a few lines of dialogue changed isn't going to fix the combat or those dice all over my screen, failing and locking my story out so i must scum save all day.
Originally Posted by Nyloth
Originally Posted by Blade238
I don't like how they try to change the identity of companions for the sake of snowflake reviews. Sometimes NOT LISTENING is a better decision.

They explicitly said they didn't try to change the identity, but if we're going to throw around the term snowflake, then I would attribute it more to the companions themselves considering they went out of their way to make inane backstories. It doesn't help when they also make them almost unlikeable and at the very least unrelatable.

And yet they made them "softer" just because someone started crying. Snowflake it's not about stupid background. This is about someone's vulnerability to other people's words. Our heroes are not vulnerable, they are harsh in their statements.

Because the majority didn't like them at all.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 04/12/20 12:10 AM.

Nonsense. I play the evil drow all the time, and I don’t have problem with Lae and Astarion. We have the same views on the situation, so I do not encounter rude statements. When you play a good character or do something they don't like, they react. This is what happened to others and it is logical.

I know how to distinguish criticism from whining. If you say that you are offended by a fictional character, simply because he does not indulge your choices - this is whining.

+ The fact that they annoy you only suggests that they have prescribed personalities and views. They don't have to satisfy you in everything.

Interestingly enough it's fairly easy to get along with virtually anyone and from various views IRL without the level of annoyances that are depicted in the party in Baldur's Gate 3. Perhaps the introduction of the tadpole somehow eliminated the companions abilities to socialize like normal people.

You're somehow confusing the situation with it not satisfying the PC or player in everything. I don't need the companions to like the PC or even act like it, but I certainly need them to behave as though they're there for a common goal of not transforming into an Illithid or pick up on social cues or failing that give the PC the ability to react to their whining.

I'd be more than happy with them confronting the PC and a mutual line being drawn. "I don't like you or agree with you, however, out of necessity we'll travel together unless you compromise my wellbeing" or anything for that matter. The companions should also have some development depending on progression.

I mean, if your evil Drow believes they're an inferior race and likes to be reminded of it or willing to be feasted upon while they sleep, sure. That's awfully tolerant of them. I'd planned on making an evil Drow rogue, but it'd be more likely to cut Astarion's throat in his sleep after being ambushed twice by him instead of letting him live long enough for a third time.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
It's a nigh-universal sentiment that saying "I told you so" and gloating when you're right is crass, and not a good look for anyone. I agree with that thought, as it really is very obnoxious.

But...

In this case, I am perfectly willing to be obnoxious.

I told you! Look at this update, look at how many things they changed DIRECTLY from our feedback! All you jokers that kept saying "oh they don't care about our feedback, oh they're not gonna change anything, oh Larian doesn't give a crap about us", how does it feel to be profoundly wrong? They ARE listening, they DO care. I told you yahoos to just be patient, and now I'm just over here swimming in my fundamental rightness like Scrooge McDuck through his pool full of gold.

Also, thanks Larian! You guys are awesome.

Yes, it's cool! But only the beginning of the path, I hope that in the future our feedback will also be used.
There are many more things to work on

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Nonsense. I play the evil drow all the time, and I don’t have problem with Lae and Astarion. We have the same views on the situation, so I do not encounter rude statements. When you play a good character or do something they don't like, they react. This is what happened to others and it is logical.

I know how to distinguish criticism from whining. If you say that you are offended by a fictional character, simply because he does not indulge your choices - this is whining.

+ The fact that they annoy you only suggests that they have prescribed personalities and views. They don't need to satisfy you in everything.

lol. careful there bud or you'll end up on "Blade238"'s backhanding list.

https://youtu.be/hHZvUeAdzeI?t=32
My PC after listening to their intolerable whining, proclamations of racial superiority, or trying to bite me in my sleep after just meeting them despite the fact that they have a common cause that means their death instead of just working together and going their separate ways. One wants my blood, one wants my magical artifacts, one wants to play Peter Pan and the other wants mine and every other's genitals despite being so inferior to their race.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
This is indeed a great patch that brings back a tiny bit of optimism for me. (Though, to be clear, I was never among the "feedback is useless" crowd.)

Nor was I and that group was always a minor. Most of the critics want to improve the game -- if they didn't care they would visit some other forum.

Banned
Banned

+ The fact that they annoy you only suggests that they have prescribed personalities and views. They don't need to satisfy you in everything.

https://youtu.be/hHZvUeAdzeI?t=32
My PC after listening to their intolerable whining, proclamations of racial superiority, or trying to bite me in my sleep after just meeting them despite the fact that they have a common cause that means their death instead of just working together and going their separate ways. One wants my blood, one wants my magical artifacts, one wants to play Peter Pan and the other wants mine and every other's genitals despite being so inferior to their race.

It is kinda funny how unrealistic the response of a character must be to accept half of those 'realistic' companions, murder hobo vampire and weirdly clingy magic bomb most especially. Actually the only game where giving up one of my companions (Astarion) felt just right. Gale's totally carried by his VA.

As for the patch, i'm probably in the minor minority that couldn't care less about gameplay. New playable classes would have been great, but what i really wanted was improvements to the dialogues, camp, quests and stuff like that.

Last edited by Innateagle; 04/12/20 12:38 AM.
addict
addict

Interestingly enough it's fairly easy to get along with virtually anyone and from various views IRL without the level of annoyances that are depicted in the party in Baldur's Gate 3. Perhaps the introduction of the tadpole somehow eliminated the companions abilities to socialize like normal people.

You're somehow confusing the situation with it not satisfying the PC or player in everything. I don't need the companions to like the PC or even act like it, but I certainly need them to behave as though they're there for a common goal of not transforming into an Illithid or pick up on social cues or failing that give the PC the ability to react to their whining.

I'd be more than happy with them confronting the PC and a mutual line being drawn. "I don't like you or agree with you, however, out of necessity we'll travel together unless you compromise my wellbeing" or anything for that matter. The companions should also have some development depending on progression.

I mean, if your evil Drow believes they're an inferior race and likes to be reminded of it or willing to be feasted upon while they sleep, sure. That's awfully tolerant of them. I'd planned on making an evil Drow rogue, but it'd be more likely to cut Astarion's throat in his sleep after being ambushed twice by him instead of letting him live long enough for a third time.

It's interesting, but looking at this dialogue, I understand that in real life, you also sometimes can't find a compromise.

Like I said, I don't have any problems with Astarion.

You talk about progress and mention two scenes with Astarion with zero progress of his trust. Do you find it offensive that Astarion follows his vampire desires or wants to extract information from you with a knife? LUL, his actions are more than clear to me. That's why my character responds, "I would do the same." It's funny that you think this is something "humiliating". As if he should respect or be afraid just because you want it. It’s not Tyranny. You dont have influence over your companions, not yet...

"I don't like you or agree with you, however, out of necessity we'll travel together unless you compromise my wellbeing"

This is exactly what they do?????

Astarion bites you, but after that, he says it won't happen again. Progress, isn't it? I only see problems with ShadowHeart. She refuses to travel with Lae as soon as we see her. But she also has reasons, we just don't know much about yet. And she can be persuaded. This isn't just gratuitous whining. I didn't have any problems with other companions. What you call a problem is not a problem... Most of the time, your companions are rude (asti bite not about rude btw) only if you don't follow their views. but why they shouldn't? if they think you're doing a stupid thing? lol

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Innateagle

It is kinda funny how unrealistic the response of a character must be to accept half of those 'realistic' companions, murder hobo vampire and weirdly clingy magic bomb most especially. Actually the only game where giving up one of my companions (Astarion) felt just right. Gale's totally carried by his VA.

As for the patch, i'm probably in the minor minority that couldn't care less about gameplay. New playable classes would have been great, but what i really wanted was improvements to the dialogues, camp, quests and stuff like that.

This is a game, it's not about realism. It is enough to play a chaotically (or neutral) evil character to not have problems with Astarion. But then you will have problems with others, which, again, is logical! No one in their right mind would act out the "evil path" by following something "realistic".

I mean, if I saw a stranger who was on a creepy ship and didn't help me??? I would definitely try to pull information. Astarion's reaction isn't as ridiculous as Sebille from DOS.

Last edited by Nyloth; 04/12/20 12:57 AM.

Banned
Banned

This is a game, it's not about realism. It is enough to play a chaotically (or neutral) evil character to not have problems with Astarion. But then you will have problems with others, which, again, is logical! No one in their right mind would act out the "evil path" by following something "realistic".

I mean, if I saw a stranger who was on a creepy ship and didn't help me??? I would definitely try to pull information. Astarion's reaction isn't as ridiculous as Sebille from DOS.

The main defence to the companions behavior is that they're realistic, that's what i was talking about. The evil path is also just bad, nothing to do with realism.

But again, i don't see how any kind of evil character wouldn't have a problem with a chaotic evil out-for-myself vampire who first assaults them and then tries to suck on them(and possibly kills them), all in the course of a couple of days. I guess if the player likes him excuses can be made, which admittedly i did too when Gale started getting a tad too clingy and a tad too demanding a tad too quickly.

Last edited by Innateagle; 04/12/20 01:12 AM.
Banned
Banned

The main defence to the companions behavior is that they're realistic, that's what i was talking about. The evil path is also just bad, nothing to do with realism.

But again, i don't see how any kind of evil character wouldn't have a problem with a chaotic evil out-for-myself vampire who first assaults them and then tries to suck on them(and possibly kills them), all in the course of a couple of days. I guess if the player likes him excuses can be made, which admittedly i did too when Gale started getting a tad too clingy a tad too quickly.

Because Astarion actually wants to work with you and he really isn't chaotic evil. He is not an insane "lol lets kill people randomly and damn the consequences" kinda guy, he has a plan, and he follows through with it. He sees you as important to his plan so he works with you and he is even trying to be not entirely unpleasant to you.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Eldath

But again, i don't see how any kind of evil character wouldn't have a problem with a chaotic evil out-for-myself vampire who first assaults them and then tries to suck on them(and possibly kills them), all in the course of a couple of days. I guess if the player likes him excuses can be made, which admittedly i did too when Gale started getting a tad too clingy a tad too quickly.

Because Astarion actually wants to work with you and he really isn't chaotic evil. He is not an insane "lol lets kill people randomly and damn the consequences" kinda guy, he has a plan, and he follows through with it. He sees you as important to his plan so he works with you and he is even trying to be not entirely unpleasant to you.

He literally approves of every evil choice, be it stupid, self-serving or anything else. It just needs to be in the evil meter and he likes it. That's pretty "lol lets kill people randomly and damn the consequences". His plan is also to somehow learn to control the tadpole, still working on the details. And if he viewed the mc as important he probs wouldn't pick them as the first sentient being he's gonna bite, just to see if he's still in his master's thrall. Like, vampires losing control first time they suck is so cliche he couldn't have possibly not known.

Last edited by Innateagle; 04/12/20 01:26 AM.
addict
addict

But again, i don't see how any kind of evil character wouldn't have a problem with a chaotic evil out-for-myself vampire who first assaults them and then tries to suck on them(and possibly kills them), all in the course of a couple of days. I guess if the player likes him excuses can be made, which admittedly i did too when Gale started getting a tad too clingy and a tad too demanding a tad too quickly.

An evil character doesn't mean stupid or cruel. This means that he can also be manipulative and smart, and not just shred everything in his path... You probably didn't think about that.

Again, I don't see Astarion's bite as an evil or terrible act.

it looks like he doesn't have a plan.

"Well, I can drink his blood or we can just kill him," - he says about his master. Nothing concrete.

He has motives and desires, but the exact plan? No, I don't think so. He often gets scared and turns on panic mode. And Yes, he likes to randomly kill people, lol. He approves of almost every "attack" action, he will prefer murder. And the situation with Kaga is a direct example of this.There is no profit for us to kill her, but that did him happy.

Banned
Banned

An evil character doesn't mean stupid or cruel. This means that he can also be manipulative and smart, and not just shred everything in his path... You probably didn't think about that.

Again, I don't see Astarion's bite as an evil or terrible act.

No, i just don't have my smart and self-centered characters play 4d chess for the sake of playing 4d chess. Because that's not smart, that's playing 4d chess.

Last edited by Innateagle; 04/12/20 01:51 AM.
Banned
Banned

it looks like he doesn't have a plan.

"Well, I can drink his blood or we can just kill him," - he says about his master. Nothing concrete.

He has motives and desires, but the exact plan? No, I don't think so. He often gets scared and turns on panic mode. And Yes, he likes to randomly kill people, lol. He approves of almost every "attack" action, he will prefer murder. And the situation with Kaga is a direct example of this.There is no profit for us to kill her, but that did him happy.

A plan doesn't have to be exact to be followed lmao. HE follows the best course of action that is available to him, which is tagging along with a group of people who seek a cure/control. I think he probably understands that a cure may not be possible at all. (I think we will never get rid of the tadpoles in the game, they will stay with us forever)
It is also obvious that he wants to be free, so that's a plan. Also what I meant by "damn the consequences" is that Astarion will never get into insane fights that will result in him being disadvantaged. Wanton murder may fly in the wilderness but it won't fly in Baldur's Gate.

Also when talking about his master those are the two options that he has. It IS concrete, because both options result in his freedom. It's only a question of whether he wants to become a true vampire.

Last edited by Eldath; 04/12/20 01:57 AM.
addict
addict

A plan doesn't have to be exact to be followed lmao. HE follows the best course of action that is available to him, which is tagging along with a group of people who seek a cure/control. I think he probably understands that a cure may not be possible at all. (I think we will never get rid of the tadpoles in the game, they will stay with us forever)
It is also obvious that he wants to be free, so that's a plan. Also what I meant by "damn the consequences" is that Astarion will never get into insane fights that will result in him being disadvantaged. Wanton murder may fly in the wilderness but it won't fly in Baldur's Gate.

Also when talking about his master those are the two options that he has. It IS concrete, because both options result in his freedom. It's only a question of whether he wants to become a true vampire.

Interrupting sex of two dangerous creatures looks pretty stupid, deadly and crazy. Looks like a crazy fight, haha. Killing Kaga is also a crazy thing to do. At least, if you do it from the very beginning and in front of everyone. I'm sorry, love him so much, but I don't see what you see. Just because I always think about how profitable it is for me to do it. And he thinks about pleasure and freedom, not risks of losing something. Even if it was his life. He was ready to sell his soul to devil in a moment of panic, think about it.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Verte Offline
enthusiast

Soooo.... You count this as a win.

Massive influx of new users, all spamming multiple times, posting non-ironic "We are the Vikings" images about "snowflakes".

Yeah.

Absolutely no issue here, at all with anyone who (checks thread) all registered in 2020 and flooded the forums to get their "win".

Nope.

Nothing dodgy about this at all. Nope. Viking stuff really isn't a stand-in for anything else.

Nope.

Wow. These forums, it's like "American History X".

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

You fuckin slay me every damn time, a_a.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Phew, 2020
Verte Offline
enthusiast

Massive influx of new users, all spamming multiple times, posting non-ironic "We are the Vikings" images about "snowflakes".

Yeah.

Absolutely no issue here, at all with anyone who (checks thread) all registered in 2020 and flooded the forums to get their "win".

Nope.

Nothing dodgy about this at all. Nope. Viking stuff really isn't a stand-in for anything else.

Nope.

At least I've grew enough snow-balls to post it from one account. About flooding, someone missed comment under pic, I guess it's 2020, people are getting offended faster and lose reading ability. Maybe another account to respond on this one?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Phew, 2020
Verte Offline
enthusiast

Yeah.

Nope.

Nope.

Sir, this is a...

...you know what, forget the memes. What are you EVEN talking about?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

Yes, it's cool! But only the beginning of the path, I hope that in the future our feedback will also be used.
There are many more things to work on

Yes, I'm sure they'll get to the real critical issues like adding a Kagha sex minigame or whatever very soon.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard