Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....2465582713C98E20A882998F8152613F1F78CD2/

Arcana is supposed to use intellect not wisdom. As far as I know this is the only instance of Arcana using the wrong stat.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....62F735D2BBDCD5DE1EDB0F4096655C2B8426C83/

History is supposed to be intellect

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....D78CE664BA0ADBCE3A300F8C3B7677A0093DE7B/

Nature is also supposed to be intellect.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....584B2D9AB825C9424583DCC8BFA1848E80674D7/

Insight is supposed to be wisdom.

Last edited by Damashi; 04/12/20 08:26 PM.
addict
addict
I think you linked the wrong 2nd image, but good catches!

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
I think you linked the wrong 2nd image, but good catches!

Whoops I'll fix that in just a sec, thx!

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
There are rules in the PHB for using nonstandard attributes towards ability checks.

Say the DM wanted to see if the PC could hold their breath while swimming underwater, he could ask them to make a Constitution Athletics check as opposed to Strength Athletics.

I haven't gotten to that scene yet, so I have no idea if that's what they are trying to do here, but do you think that the circumstances could call for these alternate checks?

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Evandir
There are rules in the PHB for using nonstandard attributes towards ability checks.

Say the DM wanted to see if the PC could hold their breath while swimming underwater, he could ask them to make a Constitution Athletics check as opposed to Strength Athletics.

I haven't gotten to that scene yet, so I have no idea if that's what they are trying to do here, but do you think that the circumstances could call for these alternate checks?

No, I don't think this is one of those circumstances . If they were to implement something like this I it should only trigger an alternate stat if there is a -1 proficiency or lower.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Well good catch then, hopefully they'll see this and fix it.

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

I did find another instance of this happening, but in this case it made more sense. When Scratch has something in his mouth, and you aren't using speak with animals, there is an animal handling check you can make to get him to drop it, but it uses charisma instead of wisdom like its supposed to. In this instance I think it's fine since my character has 0 in animal handling, and a -1 in wisdom based checks, but has a +3 in charisma. If they change it to be consistent, where if the alternative stat for a check is higher than the normal one it uses thee alternative stat instead, that would be a really good change.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Damashi

I did find another instance of this happening, but in this case it made more sense. When Scratch has something in his mouth, and you aren't using speak with animals, there is an animal handling check you can make to get him to drop it, but it uses charisma instead of wisdom like its supposed to. In this instance I think it's fine since my character has 0 in animal handling, and a -1 in wisdom based checks, but has a +3 in charisma. If they change it to be consistent, where if the alternative stat for a check is higher than the normal one it uses thee alternative stat instead, that would be a really good change.

Yeah, that would be great! I feel like it's a fairly underused rule.

I asked a warlock to make a CHA stealth check one time, to see if he could blend into a crowd. It gave him just enough to beat the check and was a really cool moment.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Just so you know you made me pull out my Player's Handbook just to make sure I wasn't talking out my backside. (p. 175 in case you're wondering)

It's a Variant rule that allows non-standard use of Abilities with a skill that isn't their associated Ability. Variant rules are really down to the DM's discretion with player's consent. Usually before they start playing a game and around session 0 when everyone gets what kinda play style they want and any home rules that everyone agrees on. As in: not suddenly out of no where does a DM rule that no it's an Arcana + Dex check with any proficiency out of nowhere and you feel singled out because that was your dump stat.

I personally think as a rule it's a good one to have, granted it makes sense for the scenario (like people above stated, Stealth + CHA for blending in a crowd or Athletics + CON for a long swim are awesome examples.) But it should NOT be "oh I like because my players stats get a bonus" or "boo I don't like because my dump stat." The whole point of getting many options in a computer game is because code is limited to whatever the people programming can think of. And they can't think of EVERYTHING, so they have to try to give us, the players, as many options as possible and/or make a system that allows flexibility.

So yeah, over 80% or so (a number I pulled out of my wizard's hat) of the times you use a skill it should be the stat it's associated with. But some moments will call for nonstandard stat and skill combinations, like maybe acrobatics + CHA to pull off a backflip with some flair to show off. And that's okay. To me, anyway.

So, is it a bug? Or is it a feature? I dunno.

Link Copied to Clipboard