Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
...Because holy shit if it's not one of the ugliest things I've seen in a while.

Seriously, I appreciate the intent, but I hope they can see that the SAME exact idea could be presented as a LOT sleeker.

We don't really need a giant box popping up. A quick and tiny "cascade" menu (except going up, maybe, given where's placed the bar) with a column of options would work a lot better.

Last edited by Tuco; 04/12/20 07:00 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
I agree these elements can be refined to look better. A box that pops up that only shows the available slots for the caster would be nice.

I don't know if Larian would consider this a huge issue to tackle it soon though. It functions and it's not as cluttered as before, so who knows where this falls on the priority list for them.

veteran
veteran
Agreed. Good intention, needs work.

Related but it bears repeating -- that quick bar really needs an autosort. It's a mess and keeping it organized is a chore.

L
addict
addict
L
Unless we’re getting twelfth level spell slots, this seems like a temporary fix

apprentice
apprentice
We're going to be here a long time if they keep doing temporary bodges instead of designing it well off the bat -.-

L
addict
addict
L
It’s also going to look ugly if we’re opening a tray with six identical icons with numerals on them. All it needs is a column of numbered slots, as OP suggested

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
If it stays as a similar system to what it is now, binding the spell levels to the corresponding number keys would be a welcome addition. Unless that's already in, I haven't tested it yet.

veteran
veteran
I promise i will not quote this post any more ...
I know (or presume) this topic is more about estetic side, and im thinking more about system side of casting ... but i just want to leave this here:

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I "created" two ideas of how this could work ...
Honestly i dont see much reasons for creating own topic to show one image ... yet i would like to hear what people are thinking about it ... so if you dont mind, i shall borrow your feedback topic.
(Wich is great by the way!)

[Linked Image]

(Rest of this reply you can probably skip, but some explanation just to be sure)
As you probably guessed, "Adaptive cast" is current (aka: new, upcasting, or popup-menu) style ... and whole image is created keeping old sytem in mind, since i personaly liked it much more.
(Please notice that all spells level 1 are now marked as level 1, spells level 2 are now marked as level 2, to be simply noticed as such.
And all adaptive spells are now not-marked as any spell levels, bcs this particular icons dont have any spell levels.)

This is something that i strugle with this whole time, since im quite new in DnD and absence of markers on some spells make combat harder for me ... like "ok so i have 2 level 1 spell slots, and last level 2 spell slot ... so i attack this enemy hard with level 2 spell, and in next round if they get too close, i can misty step away"
NAH, TOO BAD ... misty step was also level 2 spell slot, your inferface betrayed you once again. -_-

So ... on left side we can see check button on every spell levels separately ... since there are spells that have no reason (at least so far) to consume higher spellslot, so player can choose if he want to add spells level *XY*, or spells with or without popup menu ...
That way: If player wants to use allways spell level 1 ... for example: Mage Armor level 1 ... he simply turn off adaptive casting on level 1 spells ... that way he can add Mage Armor level 1 and use it at will ... also he can allways use Magic Misiles level 1 (or any other favorite level 1 spell) to execute weakened enemies with single (or acutaly two, but you get me) clicks.
I know what you are thinking: What if that player wants to use Mage Amor level 1, but both Magic Missiles level 1 and 2? That is why he have adaptive casting level 2 checked ... that way all spells in his level 2 spell list turned to adaptive spells ... if he now drag spell from level 2 list, every time he click on that spell popup menu will show up and player can decide if he want to use level 1, 2, or any other. smile
But to be honest this system seemed to me a little overcombinated, and kinda dull ... yet, potentialy fast to implement and effective.
I was thinking about adaptive spellcasting for whole spellbook, wich bringed all negatives from both systems, but didnt seem to bring any positive from any to other one.
And also i was thinking about adaptive spellcasting for every single spell ... but that seemed a little overwhelming, both for players, and developers.

And ... there right side comes to play, wich i dare to presume should satisfy everyone ... wich i mean both people who like popup menu, people who hate popup menu, and developers.
Its kinda just the same system as abowe ... just all spells are listed in separate part of spellbook, and all of them are popup menu spells ... also you can see *tooltip* note, where i believe should be some popup menu that will explain people why there is another spells list, without any spellslots.
That way: If player want to use any spell as level 1 at any time, he can drag it from level 1 spell list ... If player want to use any spell as level 2 at any time, he can drag it from level 2 spell list ... etc. etc. ... and if player want to have prepared all spell slots for any spell, he simply drag it from adaptive spell list.
In fact it is simply both systems coexisting at once, nothing too fancy petal. laugh
I believe this option takes all benefits from both, and have only one tiny negative that i simply cant get rid off ... it takes aditional space in spellbook. Of course even that could be erased, if this whole "adaptive spells" will be simply hideable, as our combat log is.

So ...
What do you think, its a nice solution ... or stupid one? laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by dotmats
We're going to be here a long time if they keep doing temporary bodges instead of designing it well off the bat -.-

Right?

"Oh, you know, it's still not final".
Uh, ok. Nice... So when we will be able to comment on an UI where some decent effort was put?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
I wish they'd just copy Solasta on some of these basic functionality things. I'm worried that they are looking at Solasta, and going, "Well, we can't just copy THEM" and so deliberately not using good ideas.

Link Copied to Clipboard