Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
An guy in another forum said that he managed to access lv 5 on EA, using "alterations", and he posted screenshots. I will not post link to the topic since I believe that it violates the rules here but apparently, there are a single summon limit which only applies to the player, NPC's can have hordes of undead while players can't. The same BS which is present on nwn2 and literally every "magic rework", like spell fixes and warlock reworked, both extremely popular mod fixes it. It literally kills the necromancer class. Why not do like Solasta and not include necromancer wizard specialization? Having a necromancer class that only exists to cause frustration and disappointment among the players who love this class is AWFUL!!!

On P&P, 5e already has the most nerfed necromancer class compared to 2e and 3e, with no OHK spells and only low CR undead available.

Sadly, only Pathfinder wrath of the righteous will have decent necromancy. With a path to lichdoom, ability to reanimate bosses to serve you and on kingmaker, empower your undead minions, raising his attributes and even giving divine spells to then when you become more "godlike". Even on kingmaker, animate dead raises d4+2 skeletons, an sorcerer using all spell slots can have 6*(d4+2) skeletons. Lich is the second most popular mythic path on WoTR. If Vincke wanna encourage people to play evil, having good necromancy is a good start!!!

[Linked Image]

Nobody is asking for this type of necromancy in a low level 'dungeons & kobolds' 5e campaign. Only that Larian follows the rules and let necromancers have at least a skeleton squad!!! Every game which has popular necromancy allows multiple undead creation.

apprentice
apprentice
With a four man squad of summoners I went through my first playthrough on divinity original sin 2, and I was disappointed that you only had a single unit per character to work with. Their reasoning likely is that too many summonables will make the fights way too easy and conversely incredibly difficult to balance for all other classes as well. My counterpoint to that is, that if I play summoner, I want it to be easy, that's in the very nature of this class, you look at diablo 2 for example, an old blizzard classic, and everyone had you recommend to start a necromancer as your first character because it is less reliant on items and also got you through the difficult parts of the game.

Now, personal preference and my "game design knowledge" and all that blah blah, it's meaningless here, I don't get paid for making this game, the guys working in their studios are, and they got plenty of madmen shouting thrilling ideas into their ears as it is. But I do want to point out one thing: a summoner class that cannot summon any monsters is not a concept, it's a disaster.

And also, worst of all, probably no fun at all.

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Ben Thunder
recommend to start a necromancer as your first character because it is less reliant on items and also got you through the difficult parts of the game.

Now, personal preference and my "game design knowledge" and all that blah blah, it's meaningless here, I don't get paid for making this game, the guys working in their studios are, and they got plenty of madmen shouting thrilling ideas into their ears as it is. But I do want to point out one thing: a summoner class that cannot summon any monsters is not a concept, it's a disaster.

And also, worst of all, probably no fun at all.

Fun >>>> Balance.

Necromancer was amazing on D2.

And necromancer is a popular class. Lich is the second most popular mythic path on wrath of the righteous...

addict
addict
I was not aware that we had necromancers to remove.

U
stranger
stranger
U
OHKOs were stupid and not fun. Reloading a fight until you OHKO the big guy is not a good game design. I'm glad they got rid of it ine 5E.

Animate dead should be able to reanimate as many weak and stupid zombies/squeletons as you want though. Providing they are weak enough that you don't end up with more than 3/4.

Necromancers are supposed to gain an added zombie when casting Animate dead at level 6, I guess they're the only one who will be able to have more than 1.

Last edited by Umsche; 06/12/20 07:27 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
If we are setting aside 5e mechanics for a second. . .

I wouldn't even put an arbitrary cap on how many minions a necromancer could have. Give the summon a spell slot, give the summon a decay rate, and let the player figure it out from there. I would also have any undead summons initially come stock with no equipment but the option to arm them with whatever you have found on the battlefield. However, since undead are essentially mindless, I would also give them an extremely rudimentary AI and absolutely no player control beyond equipment and augmentation and also they are always flat footed and have no natural AC beyond any armor or buffs given to them because they are not concerned with the damage they take. Nor can they be healed in any way. Damage taken is absolute.

No additional summons beyond first level, but the ability to use higher level spell slots for summoning to increase, say, the endurance and competency of those same undead which will eventually result in only having a couple of truly badass minions and quite a few trash mobs of varying quality. There would definitely be higher level spells to enhance and buff those summons, however, in addition to the usually array of necromancer shit one would expect to have at their disposal.

So, as an example, first level summon is skeleton, it tears itself out of the exploitable corpse of a downed opponent. It lasts for 12 hours before the magic used to hold it together is no longer sufficient to keep it whole, at which point it begins losing pieces of itself over the next 12 hours until becoming inert. Use a fifth level spell slot and you get that specific corpse in its entirely as a zombie, which moves faster and with greater precision as well as possessing additional strength and hit points. After 24 hours its skin sloughs off leaving a skeleton. At ninth level, the wounds from battle on that raised NPC are healed completely and you get them as they were before they died, all abilities intact, double the HP. After 24 hours they become a zombie, 24 hours after that a skeleton,

You can raise as many undead as you have spell slots, which could be potentially quite a few.

Last edited by DistantStranger; 06/12/20 08:10 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I dont know if it was a bug or not, but using the wand you get from the hag i was able to summon the zombie along with my companion which might indicate you can have multiple summons.
i dont play 5e but it is my understanding that some spells require concentration, maybe some summons require this so you can only have one summons at a time while others dont require concentration and would allow multiple summons.

If the game dosent allow multiple summons then +1 please allow us to summons as many as we want with time restrictions or some other limiting mechanic, i love being a summoner and summoning armies of monsters.

Last edited by jayn23; 06/12/20 08:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
According to PnP animate dead allows you to create a skelleton or zombie from the corpse of a small or medium humanoid. It lasts 24h and has a casting time of 1 min (means only outside of combat). Its a lv3 spell and casting it at higher levels gives you control over more corpses. You can give all of them the same command with a bonus action. It does not require concentration.

There are several conjuration spells (some of them allow several summons at once) that require conjuration.
Losing concentration means the creature becomes hostile.

So a high lv mage could have many summons by using animate dead and conjure minor elementals, since both spells allow more creatures when you cast it at higher levels.
The elementals act themselves, the mage has to use a bunus action to give all undead the same command and they do this until the mage commands something else.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Umsche
OHKOs were stupid and not fun. Reloading a fight until you OHKO the big guy is not a good game design. I'm glad they got rid of it ine 5E.

1 - The game is not designed around save scumming. You need to maximize the save DC to have a good powerful OHK spell
2 - You can't reload in P&P
3 - You can't reload in multi player NWN1/2 games.
4 - Enemies casts this spells on the player too.

Originally Posted by DistantStranger
If(...)

Better than single summon limit but still not like P&P.

Madscientist explained well how things works on the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I kind of wanted to create a necromancer character.
I am not too concerned about these things though... modders will eventually add it to the game even if Larian wont.

Don't worry OP.

Last edited by Eddiar; 06/12/20 11:26 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Eddiar
I kind of wanted to create a necromancer character.
I am not too concerned about these things though... modders will eventually add it to the game even if Larian wont.

Don't worry OP.

Yep. Same with NWN2. Necromancer in the base game is TRASH. With mods aka spell fixes, it becomes so amazing...

veteran
veteran
In regard to the one summon limit, there is a mechanic in place that means the player can only have one summoned thing for which they are the source. Summons from other sources (certain wands, and certain spider egg sacs), do not count against this limit.

You can, in fact, test this in game already without any alterations: Play any character that can access both Find Familiar, and Mage Hand. Because Mage Hand counts a s summon int he current game implementation, summoning your mage hand immediately kills your familiar, and summoning a familiar immediately dispels your mage hand. this is another case where Larian's implementation and changes have been made without a wider consideration of the consequences, but more than that, there's no reason for there to be a summon limit at all, provided the spells and abilities that allow you to access them are properly implemented.

Edit: Yes, I've already submitted this first as a bug report, and then also as a feedback form report... but I'd encourage others to do so as well.

Last edited by Niara; 07/12/20 01:24 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
I

You can, in fact, test this in game already without any alterations: Play any character that can access both Find Familiar, and Mage Hand. Because Mage Hand counts a s summon int he current game implementation, summoning your mage hand immediately kills your familiar, and summoning a familiar immediately dispels your mage hand.

Than, Larian really wanna kill necromancers.

Why noit just remove the wizard subclass?

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Single summoning limit is omething that is around since nwn2 probably something that was put in for balancing. But was not needed in bg npc could summon as well creating interesting battle scenarious.
I don't even know why this limit is retained to start with.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Rieline
Single summoning limit is omething that is around since nwn2 probably something that was put in for balancing. But was not needed in bg npc could summon as well creating interesting battle scenarious.
I don't even know why this limit is retained to start with.

1 - In a SP game, FUN > Balance.
2 - A lot of D&D games din't had this BS
3 - Consistency in mechanics and lore >>>> balance. And a necromancer unable to control two undeads makes ZERO sense.
4 - Balance is subjective. Some people complain about bolt action rifles and shotguns on BF1, literally the less used weapons in the game and the weapons which people should use the most in a WW1 scenario.
5 - D&D was never balanced, except 4e which is the worst edition by far.

And even 4e, WoTC prefered to not include necromancy for the sake of the balance dogma than including a USELESS SINGLE summon limit on 4e. 4e was awful but at least they din't included an SUB class that serves to nothing but to cause frustration among the class fans.

Banned
Banned
I dunno about Necromancers & their origin story in D&D that much.
Only those of Warcraft & Diablo. (lol)

But I must say I find it really wierd that Clerics have this "Necrotic hands"(?) spell.
3d10necrotic makes all the healing-touch spells also look like dogsh°° in comparisation.
So Clerics are not Healers but dmg dealers too in the end. :-|
Feels very out of place currently.

veteran
veteran
What about wait until we can actualy try necromancer, before we start complain to his uselessness? laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
I dunno about Necromancers & their origin story in D&D that much.
Only those of Warcraft & Diablo. (lol)

But I must say I find it really wierd that Clerics have this "Necrotic hands"(?) spell.
3d10necrotic makes all the healing-touch spells also look like dogsh°° in comparisation.
So Clerics are not Healers but dmg dealers too in the end. :-|
Feels very out of place currently.

Clerics on D&D aren't healers like in a mmo.

They are representatives of a deity in the material plane. D&D is not the generic mmo about gear farming and cooldown managing. The spell system for eg, is based on literature(Jack Vance). And necromancers are a wizard specialization, you have evokers, abjurers, conjurers, illusionists(...) 5e already has the weakest necromancy on D&D franchise, with a single summon limit, there are no reason to even have it on the game.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
What about wait until we can actualy try necromancer, before we start complain to his uselessness? laugh

Because even without a ridiculous single summon limit, 5e necromancers are already the weakest wizard specialization. If Larian wanna a single summon limit, honestly, just REMOVE THE SUBCLASS. Is less awful than having a class that only serves to cause frustration on the fans of thta subclass.

old hand
old hand
It's not necessarily a bad thing to just get one summon if that creature is powerful, imo. I mean sure, it's nice to swarm enemies with lots of cannon fodder type summons, I guess, but... I am quite fine with summoning one powerful bastard instead to avoid cluttering the screen and make things possibly a bit more balanced.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Because even without a ridiculous single summon limit, 5e necromancers are already the weakest wizard specialization. If Larian wanna a single summon limit, honestly, just REMOVE THE SUBCLASS. Is less awful than having a class that only serves to cause frustration on the fans of thta subclass.

And so far you have litteraly no idea how Larian will implement them ...
Didnt people say simmilar thing about Ranger? It seem quite powerfull to me. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard