Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I wish this was made in the style of Pillars of Eternity II but even more refined. Pillars II was so impressive, imagine what a company who actually understands and respects Baldur's Gate would have achieved.

I'm playing Divinity II, got to Arx and I've lost all interest in playing the game. The mechanics is some of the sloppy and exploitable stuff I've ever seen, but Larian seems to think everything is peachy and they importing nearly all those gaming concepts into Baldur's Gate. But what I really can't stand is the slowness of turn-based combat and how every enemy goes through a slow casting animation, it makes combat frankly unbearable.

Larian, while creative and brilliant, seem totally whimsical to me as if they don't even give a $*** what we think. A lot of the game mechanics in Divinity II are so unnecessary and sadistic, Obsidian had a faaar better understanding of paying homage to Baldur's gate and I would have LOVED RTwP... they deserved to make it, it's all so sad the state of the world these days, no offense meant to Larian but why can't they make a Divinity III with faster combat instead, it's like some executive saw that Divinity gets good reviews on metacritic and they gave it to them based solely on that.

Last edited by starlord7; 07/12/20 07:29 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
And I’m so happy that WotC didn’t give the game to Obsidian. POE2 was a joyless, humorless game with a sterile, overly balanced rule system that I ultimately found a chore to sit through. I didn’t find the story particularly compelling, either.

DOS2 is one of my newest favorite games of all time, and I’m enjoying the marriage between Divinity and Baldur’s Gate.

addict
addict
Should have given this game to infinity ward.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I wish it had been given to CDPR. Imagine a first person shooter style for this game. I can't even start to grasp the awesomeness of it!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Should have given this game to infinity ward.

Paradox for the endless DLCs.

should of given it to EA. I'd love me some playerclasses lock through only lootboxes.

addict
addict
Whilst the tone of the thread is childish you do have a point.
PoE is far closer to the original BG games than DOS and higher ups at Larian also do not seem to be inspired by the OGs as well. In interviews some higher up cites Final Fantasy (absolutely nothing to do with western RTWP RPG) as an inspiration.

I don't remember any interviews in which Larian developers talk about D&D, the older CRPGs or anything related to BG.

I mean, if you wanted a studio to make a shooter, would you go to Id Software or Paradox?

veteran
veteran
That's an opinion. I can only say I strongly disagree and very glad they didn't. And you say "a company who actually loves and respect Baldur's Gate" as if Larian don't and I think this goes a little beyond an opinion into just being unfair and most definitely wrong.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
That's an opinion. I can only say I strongly disagree and very glad they didn't. And you say "a company who actually loves and respect Baldur's Gate" as if Larian don't and I think this goes a little beyond an opinion into just being unfair and most definitely wrong.

Larian could mention D&D and BG more though, so to not generate this sort of criticism.

The interview with the guy saying that he grew up playing FF and thats why he loved RPGs kinda baffled me.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
You couldn't be more wrong. Larian is the best possible company to create this game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by starlord7
(rest of post)

Originally Posted by starlord7
no offense meant to Larian

lol

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Larian could mention D&D and BG more though, so to not generate this sort of criticism.

The interview with the guy saying that he grew up playing FF and thats why he loved RPGs kinda baffled me.

It's there you just have to look for it and drop the attitude of "Larian doesn't care" and I'm sure you'll see it.
Fun fact - Larian made all of their developers play the original Baldur's Gate games before starting to work on the next title. Just a fun small example

Last edited by Abits; 07/12/20 09:39 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
W
veteran
veteran
W

I’ve seen numerous interviews where Swen talks about D&D, so I think you are just not watching the right interviews.

old hand
old hand
I don't remember any interviews in which Larian developers talk about D&D, the older CRPGs or anything related to BG.

All the way back when they were doing the Kickstarter updates for the FIRST Original Sin, they talked about loving Baldur's Gate and D&D.

addict
addict
It's there you just have to look for it and drop the attitude of "Larian doesn't care" and I'm sure you'll see it.
Fun fact - Larian made all of their developers play the original Baldur's Gate games before starting to work on the next title. Just a fun small example

Why do I have to look for it then?
Why can't they be more blunt about it like "yeah, we all love PnP D&D, we love the BG games, we want to make the best D&D game ever" instead of saying that they're inspired by FF and the 5e system does not work in a video game?

veteran
veteran

Why do I have to look for it then?
Why can't they be more blunt about it like "yeah, we all love PnP D&D, we love the BG games, we want to make the best D&D game ever" instead of saying that they're inspired by FF and the 5e system does not work in a video game?

I honestly never heard this FF bit you talk about. I'm not sure what you expect them to do... Should they start every interview with a praise to the great dnd 5e? Perhaps add "Baldur's Gate is the best game ever" at the start of every tweet? I honestly think that unless you really are guided by some severe confirmation bias you can't miss their love for dnd.
Their game Tagline is "gather your party".... I'm sure you know where that came from.

Last edited by Abits; 07/12/20 09:53 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would love to see Obsidian's CEO making vids in plate armor, that would add to their roleplaying

addict
addict
I think they should have given it to Bioware...oh wait.

old hand
old hand
Should have given it to Zynga.

addict
addict
So I have quite mixed feelings on this. If someone asked me about this a couple of months ago, I'd say I wouldn't trust Obsidian to do BG3 justice and that Larian is the best choice - after I've read the interviews and watched the team speak with such passion about this project. I actually did say this many times and argued with the nay-sayers.

But now that we've seen EA... Idk. It seems Larian has a very, VERY different idea about what BG is and what BG3 should be than I do. And I dare say I'm not the only one. (Obligatory disclaimer: no, I'm not calling for IE copy-paste.)

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard