Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Likes and dislikes mean a great deal if what is being discussed is the reception of a video. It is far more indicative than comments because people click like or dislike more than they comment.

In vocal minority the operative word isn’t vocal, it’s minority. Anyway, you just admitted that those who didn’t like were in the minority, which was my point. How vocal they were is irrelevant.

I said Larian doesn’t have much to complain about with their reception. That has nothing to do with whether others have anything to complain about with the product.

Well lets say that 15% dislike is a lot.
For the comparison, AC Valhalla (mediocre yearly release) had a better ratio.

veteran
veteran
This argument about how many people liked the reveal seems completely useless to me and impossible to prove. I thought the general comments were very positive actually, but what do I (or any of you) know.

About people who dislike the direction Larian took - we've been over this on the forum several times with no clear winner in the argument. I'll just say that the fact that most people here want some solasta with better story doesn't mean it's what most people in general do, nor that most people would be happy about it.

About this discussion in general - seems completely pointless. It's over. Larian are the ones making the game and it isn't going to change. We can discuss what ifs all day long and perhaps you might find it fun, but it seems to me like just a new excuse to generally shit on Larian. If you have something specific Larian does in bg3 that you want to discuss, I'm pretty sure there is a topic about it somewhere and if not you can always create one and then we can discuss it concretely. Otherwise I don't see any other point for this topic but hey you do you

Last edited by Abits; 08/12/20 12:38 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
so in many respects BG3 feels to me more like D&D than BG 1 and 2 did.

This.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Abits
This argument about how many people liked the reveal seems completely useless to me and impossible to prove. I thought the general comments were very positive actually, but what do I (or any of you) know.

About people who dislike the direction Larian took - we've been over this on the forum several times with no clear winner in the argument. I'll just say that the fact that most people here want some solasta with better story doesn't mean it's what most people in general do, nor that most people would be happy about it.

About this discussion in general - seems completely pointless. It's over. Larian are the ones making the game and it isn't going to change. We can discuss what ifs all day long and perhaps you might find it fun, but it seems to me like just a new excuse to generally shit on Larian. If you have something specific Larian does in bg3 that you want to discuss, I'm pretty sure there is a topic about it somewhere and if not you can always create one and then we can discuss it concretely. Otherwise I don't see any other point for this topic but hey you do you

Well said Abits

journeyman
journeyman
"should have given to Obsidian"

Not just no, but HELLS no.

OK so the first POE was pretty damn good... the second was a raging fiasco with the devs actively mocking the paying customers.. It was a nightmare of a game that STILL doesn't run as well in its post release state as BG3 does in EA.

As much as I truly *wanted* to like POE2, if BG3 had been done by them I wouldn't have even bothered looking at it until well after final release. This game is barely out of the starting area and I've happily spent over 100hrs on it. POE3? I've tried 6 new games and never finished a single one. Ended up uninstalling in disgust after about 30hrs play time.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
[quote=Warlocke]so in many respects BG3 feels to me more like D&D than BG 1 and 2 did.

YES!! Absolutely. Which is not to say I didn't love the other games, but this absolutely feels more like D&D.

Last edited by asheraa; 08/12/20 02:13 AM.
addict
addict
DOS 2 was a mediocre game.

Larian has the potential to make BG3 a great game, but so far has only showed to be a one-trick pony. Would love to see this project on CDPR's hands.

I am curious to see the final game and how much they will change based on feedback.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by fallenj

Well said Abits

Agreed.

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Should have licensed it to Square Enix. At least we’d get the sexy armor we were promised.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I wished Larian had named BG3 anything else just to avoid these nonsensical discussions. It could have been the amazing Galdur's Bate 3!

Anyway, people complaining about BG3 not being really BG because of turn based combat are the same who complained BG1 was not really D&D because it was RTwP? Instead of, you know, TB?

Because I can very clearly imagine someone from the XX century, foaming from his mouth out of pure obnoxious rage and anger, hitting that keyboard about how "DUHH, how DARE the developers of this Baldur's Gate SAY this is D&D, D&D is NOT RTwP ROFTLOLOLOL! This game is TRASH and will be quickly forgotten and I lost all respect to developers, should have been made by those cool guys from, i don't know, Electronic Arts! Or John Romero"

Originally Posted by Samshell
I wished Larian had named BG3 anything else just to avoid these nonsensical discussions. It could have been the amazing Galdur's Bate 3!

Galdur's Bait. I like it

Originally Posted by Samshell
Anyway, people complaining about BG3 not being really BG because of turn based combat

Deserve squirrel in the face, Larian style. Anything but turn based is mediocre in the RPG world. Unless you are trying to pass an action game with rpg elements as an "RPG".

addict
addict
Pillars II didn't raise money, which is why next obsidian project was an action game... Think about why games in this genre SHOULD CHANGE.

Games are not only fun, but also business. And games should be changed for a new audience. A big plus of Larian is that they make game as they want, without relying on" traditions " that are no longer useful. With their approach, they can return games of this genre to Golden category, give them a new life. Yes, in a new format, but it's time to change something. Some people here say that BG3 has nothing to do with original BG. And you know what? This is good.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

Larian has the potential to make BG3 a great game, but so far has only showed to be a one-trick pony. Would love to see this project on CDPR's hands.

I am curious to see the final game and how much they will change based on feedback.

Sorry I laughed at your first sentence. It sold so well it must really mediocre for sure. It's considered one of the best CRPGs of all time, just to let you know.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko

Sorry I laughed at your first sentence. It sold so well it must really mediocre for sure. It's considered one of the best CRPGs of all time, just to let you know.

Well, it sold well .... for an indian game. It is considered one of the best cRPGs of ... modern years, because there is really nothing for the past 10 years.

And those 2 arguments are too fallacious. I am yet to understand all the buzz about DOS2, except it came out from a very sterile era.

addict
addict

Well, it sold well .... for an indian game. It is considered one of the best cRPGs of ... modern years, because there is really nothing for the past 10 years.

And those 2 arguments are too fallacious. I am yet to understand all the buzz about DOS2, except it came out from a very sterile era.

Then you must ask yourself why it was 'sterile era'.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
enthusiast
And I’m so happy that WotC didn’t give the game to Obsidian. POE2 was a joyless, humorless game with a sterile, overly balanced rule system that I ultimately found a chore to sit through. I didn’t find the story particularly compelling, either.

DOS2 is one of my newest favorite games of all time, and I’m enjoying the marriage between Divinity and Baldur’s Gate.

This! Totally agree.

W
veteran
veteran
W

It was the top selling release of 2017 on Steam and that was well before console release. The game didn’t sell well for an independent title, it sold phenomenally well for an independent title.

Arguing that it only performed well because there weren’t any other CRPGs to compete with doesn’t explain why POE2 bombed hard on release.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Danielbda
I don't remember any interviews in which Larian developers talk about D&D, the older CRPGs or anything related to BG.

All the way back when they were doing the Kickstarter updates for the FIRST Original Sin, they talked about loving Baldur's Gate and D&D.

you can love somthing and never grasp it's core features that made it successful

addict
addict

Eh, good things can come from pointless threads. We've already hijacked some for quality discussion, some of which might be of use for Larian.

My first instinct was to say "no way, CDPR has no experience whatsoever with cRPGs, and have only published one IP (CP not out yet)"... but maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea? BG was/is massively popular in Poland and if The Witcher is anything to go by, they have a good track record of respectfully adapting IPs. Seems it might also be the case for Cyberpunk.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by starlord7
I wish this was made in the style of Pillars of Eternity II but even more refined. Pillars II was so impressive, imagine what a company who actually understands and respects Baldur's Gate would have achieved.

I'm playing Divinity II, got to Arx and I've lost all interest in playing the game. The mechanics is some of the sloppy and exploitable stuff I've ever seen, but Larian seems to think everything is peachy and they importing nearly all those gaming concepts into Baldur's Gate. But what I really can't stand is the slowness of turn-based combat and how every enemy goes through a slow casting animation, it makes combat frankly unbearable.

Larian, while creative and brilliant, seem totally whimsical to me as if they don't even give a $*** what we think. A lot of the game mechanics in Divinity II are so unnecessary and sadistic, Obsidian had a faaar better understanding of paying homage to Baldur's gate and I would have LOVED RTwP... they deserved to make it, it's all so sad the state of the world these days, no offense meant to Larian but why can't they make a Divinity III with faster combat instead, it's like some executive saw that Divinity gets good reviews on metacritic and they gave it to them based solely on that.

Obsidian can't make a game about NOT killing God to save their lives.
PoE is an overrated, awful, boring game. Combat sucked, the story also sucked, and frankly it's hard to find a game that screws up in both departments but now we have a first.
The only positive thing that PoE accomplished is that it admits that the universe it takes place in is completely and utterly meaningless and has no purpose nor any morality, and you can basically ask Eothas to just end it all.

Obsidian should stick to secular themes, they simply can't handle spiritual themes in a way that's interesting. They basically copy Nietzsche and Hegel and imagine themselves to be original.
Tyranny was superior to PoE in both combat and storytelling, despite it being like a 12 hour game, showcasing that Obsidian can do good stuff, they just seem to loose their mind whenever god and other spiritual themes are featured in a story. Fallout: New Vegas is another gem, but that's an entirely different kind of game.

Last edited by Bruh; 08/12/20 10:18 AM.
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard