Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
SH smiles more often than not. Gone is the resting scowl. It's much, much easier to get from "you'll do" to "pleasant surprise" dialogue.

She no longer breaks off the relationship after the kiss, instead she thinks the relationship shows promise. Which for me ruins part of the "I fear what might be in my memories, these feelings are a threat to my relationship with Shar" aspects of the romance.

Totally screw that change it fucks up her character so much. It's not even a character anymore. This is a populist change that goes against the integrity of the character to appeal the crowd.

Now I'm not saying Larian shouldn't do what the fans want, but they also shouldn't comprises on things like character consistency.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
SH smiles more often than not. Gone is the resting scowl. It's much, much easier to get from "you'll do" to "pleasant surprise" dialogue.

She no longer breaks off the relationship after the kiss, instead she thinks the relationship shows promise. Which for me ruins part of the "I fear what might be in my memories, these feelings are a threat to my relationship with Shar" aspects of the romance.

Totally screw that change it fucks up her character so much. It's not even a character anymore. This is a populist change that goes against the integrity of the character to appeal the crowd.

Now I'm not saying Larian shouldn't do what the fans want, but they also shouldn't comprises on things like character consistency.

I totally agree with that sentiment.

Characters and Storyline are developers choice. They are the authors. I too felt that the characters where too agressive and negative given the situation. My personal beef with it ia that i missed other reactions i could have taken or answers i would have given.
What i think frustrated my was that i had to let them walk all over me because as a player you usually don't kill or remove certain npcs from the game. So i kind of felt compelled to be nice to an asshole. Not a good feeling.

I would rather travel alone than with a bunch of egomaniacs. (havent played the new, so i will see)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil

Characters and Storyline are developers choice. They are the authors. I too felt that the characters where too agressive and negative given the situation. My personal beef with it ia that i missed other reactions i could have taken or answers i would have given.
What i think frustrated my was that i had to let them walk all over me because as a player you usually don't kill or remove certain npcs from the game. So i kind of felt compelled to be nice to an asshole. Not a good feeling.

I would rather travel alone than with a bunch of egomaniacs. (havent played the new, so i will see)

But that's not really true... First of all if you feel so hurt you don't want them around anymore you are actually allowed to kick them out of the party and even kill them off if you think it's warranted. Other than that you have options of response... I just don't see what you are saying

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast

+1
or even
+∞

stranger
stranger

This. As a player, it's so much more rewarding when your character finally manages to win a companion's trust after having struggled for a while. Especially with Shadowheart; I mean, she's a Shar worshiper who got most of her memories removed, it's only fair that she'd want to avoid getting too attached to the player's character, or that she'd want to keep some distance. Her being a "jerk" (I don't think she's one, but well) is just a defence mechanism, and she's actually pretty nice as long as people don't force her to reveal her secrets.

Also, the way she asked the player to "forget about the kiss" made way more sense, especially when you actually listen more carefully to the VA's (who is amazing, just like the others) tone. It didn't really feel like she was breaking things off, but like she felt uncomfortable - you know, like when a person says the opposite of what they think because they're afraid that the other person won't return their feelings. Her whole thing, or the way she works, is to test and challenge the player's character to see what makes them tick (she actually admits that if I recall correctly). At least that's how I understood it anyway, and I think that it gave an interesting complexity to her character. She seemed more like she was thorn between what she wants, and what she thinks she should want. Now she's just... a bit more bland, which is a bit of a shame. I wonder how it'll all play out in the final version of the game.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil

The point is that you aren't forced to. Whenever I play a wellbehaved and gentle character I avoid the companions that are a**holes, but sometimes I play around with them creating mixed parties with opposites characters just to see their rambling. But again the game lets players to choose wich companions they want.

Moreover I don't understand the need to have everything in a game make in a way that satisfies any whim of theirs.

On the long run, at least in my experience, games that comply to everything a fan wants end up to be flat and not engaging (a issue I have with the herosexuality of companions, how much I miss my male elf character pinning on Alistaire or my Mass effect male sheppard falling for James Vegas and going with kaidan as a rebound affair *.* ).

If Larian had to make a change it could have been done gradualy that is: if your character acts in a way that resonates positevely then the companion gets more relatable, on the contrary if you act in ways that contrast their opinions and valors they gradualy become more cold, distant, harsh.

From what I've read up to know what Larian did was to simply erase the edgy aspects of Shadowheart.

(and now a personal question I made to myself, due to the fact that the characters who where aim of the major part complains are the two female ones, is if the problem has really anything to do with roleplaying or gameplay or is the fact that being Laez'el and Shadowheart we as players expect them to be strong but still "feminine" [you know, the old stuff that labels a woman "a bitch" if, when in charge, she acts bossy while a male can act bossy and be considered a leader even if a bit harsh).

Last edited by Bufotenina; 07/12/20 07:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think that if we are discussing romance and companions' character arcs, people should really try to think hard about where we are and what you are asking. Is it reasonable to expect a resolution to any romance this early in the game? I think that most definitely not. We still have a lot of game ahead of us guys, it would be incredibly stupid for the characters to do any kind of big change this early.

addict
addict
O.O
Sven needs to buy a GIANTIC pizza for Larian devs just because of this update alone. A Christmas pizza.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by corvyyn

This. As a player, it's so much more rewarding when your character finally manages to win a companion's trust after having struggled for a while. Especially with Shadowheart; I mean, she's a Shar worshiper who got most of her memories removed, it's only fair that she'd want to avoid getting too attached to the player's character, or that she'd want to keep some distance. Her being a "jerk" (I don't think she's one, but well) is just a defence mechanism, and she's actually pretty nice as long as people don't force her to reveal her secrets.

Also, the way she asked the player to "forget about the kiss" made way more sense, especially when you actually listen more carefully to the VA's (who is amazing, just like the others) tone. It didn't really feel like she was breaking things off, but like she felt uncomfortable - you know, like when a person says the opposite of what they think because they're afraid that the other person won't return their feelings. Her whole thing, or the way she works, is to test and challenge the player's character to see what makes them tick (she actually admits that if I recall correctly). At least that's how I understood it anyway, and I think that it gave an interesting complexity to her character. She seemed more like she was thorn between what she wants, and what she thinks she should want. Now she's just... a bit more bland, which is a bit of a shame. I wonder how it'll all play out in the final version of the game.

Well said. I'm hoping this just a placeholder. The "relationship shows promise" lines should only come after she either decides to a) break with Shar or b) accept you a convert.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I rolled back the update, but now I would like to play the new update. I'm just having trouble figuring out how, I don't see any way to update it on steam or the game launcher. Can anyone help?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by corvyyn

Well said. I'm hoping this just a placeholder. The "relationship shows promise" lines should only come after she either decides to a) break with Shar or b) accept you a convert.

Yeah I do hope that it is some kind of placeholder. I'm pretty sure things won't seem so rushed after the game is released - at least that's what I'm hoping for.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by My Dog
I rolled back the update, but now I would like to play the new update. I'm just having trouble figuring out how, I don't see any way to update it on steam or the game launcher. Can anyone help?

If you are on Steam, right click on Baldur's Gate 3, select "Properties...", click on the "BETAS" tab in window that pops up, and then "Select the Beta you would like to opt in to" and pick "NONE - Opt out of all Beta Programs" in the drop down menu. Then close and you should have the option to update to the latest patch.

Deepblue
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes but this patch didn't fix issues with the feats for example when doing a Ranger knight build and selecting the Dual wielder you are allowed to dual wield heavy 2 handed weapons and get a +1To your AC. Yet you don't get a +1 to your AC. Also you don't get the 1d6 healing from the Shattered Flail when you do damage to the enemy. And there are many feats and weapons with similar issues.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Not really seeing much improvement, in fact, I see that now if the AI cheats and you refuse to allow it and reload the last save, you automatically become a god and the fight switches from fighting a cheating tyrant to fighting a total wimp. for anyone who doesnt understand that, if you reload when you are losing a fight you get an automatic win to advance the game. so instead of actually fixing the AI we get the lazy approach. This game claims to have a world u can interact with, when actually it is just a few added trinkets. example; you can light a torch from the eternal fire of the landscape, but you cant use that torch to light a brazier you can only reach by standing on a crate, and u cant set fire to wooden boxes and barrels unless u waste a spell. and when u do use a spell, or grease bomb, the wood completely burns up in 60 secs, no matter how big the pile. my so called wizard learned a spell he shouldnt be able to learn called "animal freindship" that doesnt work on guard dogs. oh, and the vampire being friendly? you obviously watched too much vampire diaries. they r undead also, so even if he could be my friend, no other lower ranking undead would be able to attack us, in fact, they would be controlled by astarion and therefore would be fighting for my team. I could go on for hours, but whats the point. I bought this game because it claimed to follow D&D 5e ruleset, and that couldnt be futher from the truth. But I liked it better before the fixes. If only someone would come along who can actually build a random number generator that really did mimic rolling dice.

P.S. can I have my 60 bucks back?

veteran
veteran
I honestly wish that you didn't compromise character development in favour of populist changes prompted by lazy gamers.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Astarion friendly? Maybe I have different ideas on what friendly is, and all over the dialogues it's obvious that unless an evil path he aims to control the tadpole, gain powers from it, and he shows, also, his love for massacre and violence. So I don't get how he can be called "friendly vampire".

Save/reload you use it? Your choice. Don't blame it on the chance to use it. This games is flexible enough to grant a satisfiing run both to hard core players (it doesn't require an iron will to avoid exploiting barrels, heights, save/reload, and I affirm that as a man with a serious weak will) and to players that want a fun ride (I apply my energies in searching strategies, finding the best ways to manage with problems, in my job, in real life I have plenty of situations when my choices mean, or meant, a loss or a defeat, so in a game I want a secure win. Still I avoid using barrels, I prefer to overpower the enemies so I do the run in a way i can raise levels enough to be able to kill the bosses easily).

I'm appalled whenever I read a complain not about the numerous bugs of the game but about the freedom of choice. As I said I am not strongwilled, still I am able to make playstyle choices.

For once I don't ever choose the violent or harsh dialogue option. Still I don't create a post complaining because there is that choice.

It's a game, the choices to be made don't are ones that require an iron will.

Furthermore I'm ablazed of the individualism (the is near egocentrism) of many claims. I as a player don't like the possibility of doing something? Then automatically that is wron because I'm unable to understand that being this a single player game the choices that ruin my experience are mine and mine alone, let's take it out on the game and asks for an environment that fullfill my own personal and individual point of view of what a satisfiing playstyle should be.

Were the options that enflame such despise not optional but forced on a player I'd agree on making them, well, optional. But they aren't, no ones forces a player to have Astarion in the party (in my current play I surrendered him to the monster hunter), you can refuse to sex up the party members (in this case, though, I have to agree with the claims on the herosexuality and the fact that the proposals are forced, my current Tav is straight and din't flirt with Will or Gale still they proposed a night of passion in the bunk), you can avoid the use of barrels, you can avoid save and reload, you can ignore heights advantage, you can even do a solo run.

So I don't understand such claims unless I consider them a different form of laziness, while I'm lazy and prone to use whatever makes a game easier (oh how much I love playthroughs in the web), there are other whose laziness relies in the inability to deal with the temptation of choices (and what strong temptations they are! Life changing, so important and difficult to manage they require training of willpower!).

L
stranger
stranger
L
The romance scenes that no longer work....by which I mean are missing.....

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
6 player party option?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lenggao
6 player party option?
300 player party option will be better
[Linked Image from film.ru]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Even better. 😮

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard