Print Thread
#743560 09/12/20 04:41 AM
L
LTowey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Not sure if this feedback has been addressed in the past (I am not familiar with these forums, yet), but are there plans to further distinguish Drow from the other elves through height? My understanding is that the Drow are relatively short compared to other elves.

LTowey #743564 09/12/20 05:16 AM
L
addict
addict
L
Wouldn't it be awesome if we could choose how tall our character is, like in D&D? Hopefully they are working on this.

LukasPrism #743565 09/12/20 05:20 AM
L
LTowey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
More customization is always good. If, however, they are going to restrict each race to a standard height, it would be cool if the Drow were intermediate between humans and dwarves (which, again, I think is how they are written to be).

LTowey #743574 09/12/20 06:46 AM
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by LTowey
My understanding is that the Drow are relatively short compared to other elves.

I have seen a few times in artworks that Drow Women are actually taller or just as tall as Drow Men.
Dunno if this is canon or not or just a fanfic.
And Drow society is highly matriarchical.

The Drow are wierdly "engineered" by Lolths influence as far as I understand it.
Would not surprise me if this wierd, kinda domina like Goddess made Drow females taller. grin

What I find a little wierd is that we create Drow in the menu with a fairly dark skin ton (just as this accounts avatar).
But when we see Minthara or the Drow turned to stone by the Beholder, they have more like a wierd blue'ish tone far from being greyish.
Drow need fine tuning one way or the other I suspect.

LTowey #743609 09/12/20 11:30 AM
E
E
The stats and height of drow changed through editions. Initially female drow were taller and had better stats. Later, whrn Dritzz maje them popular, they started moving from very matriarcal to less and allowing make drow to be more than just grunt soldiers.

Drow never follow the premise of "evil matriarchal teocracy" yo the logical consequences. I mean, in the underdark, where food is scarce, being evil priestess, logic says that they would use a lot more undead as soldiers and have just a few male drow as breeding stock controlled by a matriarch. Compared to afgan women, male drows have it not so bad and still have oportunities. They get trained, allowed poweful positions and allowed to have properties instead of being property, neither they aren't mutilated so they don't feel pleasure with sex. And I get it, playing that won't be fun, but somehow I can't see the drow as evil and as matriarchal as they are supposed to be, since real world show what hate towards one sex looks like and drow are kind of mild compared to that. Hell, Thay wizards or zentarim are much worse.

Anyway, I think it is better to allow players to choose their height. It is fantasy and realism can be too grim.

LTowey #743613 09/12/20 11:49 AM
B
Banned
Banned
B
Actually drow males have it worse then anyone in our own world. Every third male child is sacrificed to Lolth upon birth, your career path is decided for you by your mom, you constantly have to watch your back because everyone wants to involve you in their plots and if you have a younger brother he has a lot of incentives to take you out.
If a female takes a liking to you, you are pretty much forced to get along with it, even if it's your sister, and satisfy all her random lusts and craving and if she gets bored with you, there's a significant chance that she will murder you so that she doesn't risk her secrets being exposed.

On top of that you are totally expendable, you will be sent on dangerous missions, having to risk your life, nobody cares about your wellbeing beyond preserving your utility to the family, and you have no rights. You are forced into worshipping a deity that loathes you and if you even privately change religions, you will probably be hunted down by some inquisitor with mindreading powers.
If you cause too much of an inconvenience you will be turned into a drider, which I would think is at least as bad as being mutilated, if not worse.

I'm sure we could go on and on, but being a drow male sucks real hard.

LTowey #743627 09/12/20 12:37 PM
E
E
Actually, in India you have selective abortion of female phoetuses, girls are raped and killed after that. You don't need to wait for the third. And the ones who are born, nanyvtimes die because neglect. No education at all, your career being "property of a male, housewife and breeder" (basically you don't get to decide at all), yet you would also work at the fields for free. You can be killed in an honor kill in some countries if you don't marry the man your family decide or just for being raped which can happen if you lower your guard. And in some countries if some men in your family rape another woman, you would be sentenced to be raped. Murdering women is quite common in those countries, so is batering. So all those things that in your opinion "make it worse for male drows" actually happen now in real world to girls and women, except worse.

Yes, in some countries the man who is insatisfied with a woman, would throw acid to their face. Or burn her alive for, you know, not satisfying their sexual desires or refusing him. So drow being trained and allowed to scheme is one step above real world. Even if their mothers decide the career. And not being able to refuse sex? Also happens, plus rape and murder for "dishonoting the family". And yes, women are considered expendable, so if there is no food, they would be the ones who starve. Plus mutilations like ablation who can kill the girl who suffer it. But even if they survive, sex would be painful for them. And at the same time, they won't be allowed to refuse sex to their hundsband. We can go on.

Just consider this, in the real world, people would castrate children to preserve their voice, drow matriarch don't. Even if that would make a lot of sense from their point of view. No equivakentvof ablation for male drow? Why? Why would Lolth want male drow to enjoy sex? In the real world, greek consider that "true love" was among men, and woman just for reproduction. So why would the sister get interest in the brother and not another sister/cousin/woman? If we draw paralel with real world, the picture we could get would be a lot worse.

You might want to pay attention to real world violence before you say it is worse for male drow. Real people can be quite cruel.

EMC_V #743632 09/12/20 01:04 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by EMC_V
[...] You might want to pay attention to real world violence before you say it is worse for male drow. Real people can be quite cruel.

I think people are aware. Let's not side-track this onto RL issues, please.

J'aime le fromage.
LTowey #743677 09/12/20 03:14 PM
Y
Y
Yea that took a weird real life turn for our fantasy talk. But yes, more racial height character customization please. The Drow were characteristically shorter in height to surface elves. It would make for great character and racial distinction.

Lariat yall have been doing pretty great with the game so far, so excited to see more implementations of the lore.

LTowey #743869 10/12/20 12:42 AM
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Make them taller and have other characters ask them if they play basketball and how's the weather up there.

*Edit: Or volleyball cause that's another.

Last edited by FelLich; 10/12/20 12:43 AM.
LTowey #743873 10/12/20 01:33 AM
B
Banned
Banned
B
I think drow should have ebony-black skin with very little variation.

Link Copied to Clipboard