Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Undead is not the same as dead. In fact, just judging by the linguistics involved, it's kinda the opposite.

Also, of COURSE it's "convenient" that the tadpole just so happens to alter the nature of a vampire spawn in such a way that they become a functionally playable character in the game. This is what game designers do all the time. Sometimes, a particular bit of story or setting is SO important that you tailor the gameplay itself around that narrative element. But most of the time, you design the gameplay you want, and then come up with whatever story excuses you have to in order to fit that gameplay. If this is done very skillfully, it's invisible to the player, but often on big projects with a lot of moving parts, you just don't have the time to perfectly craft an airtight narrative justification for every little element in the game. Especially when 90% of the players literally won't care anyway.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Stikyard
I always thought Elves were immune to being raised as undead.

Drow even make it a point to raise their own fallen into skeletons. Elves are still flesh and blood at the end of the day. Vampires just aren't common in general. So of course they won't be common among elves either. It only looks like it's most common among humans because that's where most games take place. But if you had a game set in an elf city with vampires nearby then I don't see why not.

It's already happening in Spellforce 2, Skyrim, Neverwinter Night 1, Baldur's Gate 2... There's PLENTY of proof that elves are affected. And no book stating otherwise is going to change that simple fact.

If this is done very skillfully, it's invisible to the player.

Actually, it's the opposite. If something "just exists" with no good reason then it's shoe horned in. So it shouldn't be invisible at all. Reverse that logic. A gameplay mechanic should make sense in the game world/setting. Currently we don't know. Which we'll probably find out later. Likely because the "bad guys" wanted it that way to make sure the party reaches them, for whatever reason. If that's the route it's going then that leaves the "why" of it all.

Last edited by Taramafor; 10/12/20 01:14 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Stikyard
Another thing about the party building. I felt like just around every corner was another party member just jumping out of nowhere... literally to join the party. This could just be an easy excuse for early access but, I hope this changes. I would like a little time and exploration to find new party members. They just seem thrown at me.

My guess would be that they ARE kind of thrown together. They were all on the same nautiloid ship. They all have the same batch of magically enhanced/controlled tadpoles, they are literally being psychically drawn together. This is the case in the real world, AND in their dreams. They are literally linked by their tadpole's magical/psychic connection.

As to OP's question re Astarion, he's a vampire *spawn*, not a full vampire... maybe that has something to do with it? Regardless, there are other elven vampires within the D&D law, so he is unique because of the tadpole, but he's not the only vampire infected elf.

Also, for those arguing that elves stop being elves when they turn... if this IS the case even for a spawn... loss of religious connection does NOT change their race, just their religious connection. He's still of elven blood, he still has pointy ears, he's still an elf. He's just a mostly undead elf with no connection to the standard deity and afterlife he would have had before he was turned.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Astarion is a vampire? No--say it isn't so! Do tell!...;) And all of this time I thought he was a starving Santa Claus during a Christmas pandemic. What gave it away--his fangs, maybe? Who'd have thunk it...;)

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard