Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
We have two options, one of which is an arrogant toad, the other is callous and petty (secretive/non-trusting is one thing, but surely it can be done without being awful, no?).

Meanwhile, we have three male options; Gale, who is arrogant, but less in a "you are a worm to me" kind of way like Laezel, and more of a "I'm good and I know that I'm good" kind of way, but is otherwise charming and friendly.
Astarion can be biting at times, but can also be charming, and seems to be a fairly well-written, well-rounded character. When he gets mad at you, you know its because of a genuine disagreement, not because he is Astarion.

Then, we have Will, the self-proclaimed hero. Shows flaws as you progress, but for the most part is a fairly typical hero-type character. He can get mad, but typically at
the goblins.

Shadowheart seems to take a whole bunch of dice rolls just to find out what she even is, it doesn't feel like I'm building trust with the character, but rather an obstacle that I have to overcome by chance if I want her to say anything interesting in future. Even after that, she still only barely shows signs of opening up... if you pass more dice rolls. The best female NPC party member, as she is less scathing and brash, and her sarcasm can be funny and charming, imo.

Laezel, on the other hand...
she's so intolerable that SH leaves the camp if you bring her with you. I dragged her around to the Githyanki encounter on the bridge, just to find that very little changes; if anything, it seems like we got more of the villain's story than hers. Then she has the gall to get mad at the PC at camp, unless you pass a diceroll. Why put up with a character that is always mad at you and rude to everyone, to the point that even the other party members hate her?

Why is it that the only two female party members are both the least likeable? Am I alone in thinking this?

At the very least, I feel that dicerolls should not be tied to character specific lore dialogue; have them build trust by being with the player and gaining their favour through actions, rather than force save scumming for anyone that wants to hear more dialogue.

old hand
old hand
We are going to be getting more companions. I actually find it refreshing to not have the stereotypical companions that are submissively accepting of whatever the PC does or are there for the "comedy" factor. I realise this is not for everyone but try to look at things from their point of view. Their behaviour will make more sense then.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Zarna
We are going to be getting more companions. I actually find it refreshing to not have the stereotypical companions that are submissively accepting of whatever the PC does or are there for the "comedy" factor. I realise this is not for everyone but try to look at things from their point of view. Their behaviour will make more sense then.

I can understand that, but I think there is a middle ground one should aim for, and we've gone too far in the opposite direction.

Astarion is a good example of what you're describing; opinionated, has his own thoughts and motivations, not afraid to be snarky or get mad if you push him too far... not constantly abrasive and unpleasant like Laezel, or, to a lesser extent, SH.

old hand
old hand
They stated they were releasing the "evil" companions first. I am pretty sure there will be some of the type you prefer once the game is released, probably even before so they can be tested. Hoping we will get some non origin ones in later acts as well.

Y
Y
Yes please, and not just female. Male and female companions that are just nice and wholesome. I really liked having wyll in my group, just another adventure out for the adventure and for the good against evil. And he had he's own secrets as well which is good for story.

The only part of my concern, (talked about in another thread) can we please just not have all good relations with our companions lead to them asking us to bed them.

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
What Zarna said. Both posts.

I think it's nearly a fact that there'll be 8 Origins Characters. Can't remember if I read or heard that myself somewhere, but it keeps being repeated in these forums. Currently, Larian has released 5 of them, and they are the "mean" ones. The remaining 3 are likely to be a lot agreeable and companionable.

Also, we have 3 males and 2 females. If Larian is aiming for some balance, we should have 1 male and 2 females in the remaining 3. So there should be at least one nice-and-friendly female.

Personally, I like all 5 companions so far. Lae'zel is a bit of commanding asshole, and she's perfect that way. Astarion is pure sex.

B
Banned
Banned
B
I think people whine too much about companions. Shadowheart WAS good before last update, and if you really don't like a companion, by no means do you have to "put up" with them. I know that in most of my playthroughs, Lae will get the murderknife, but I like her this way. At least this game has someone who is written well enough for me to hate her guts.

That being said I would also like a friendly female companion, but I think we are going to get 2 edgelords instead, we will have to see. Worst case scenario: I will have more characters to kill. Always a fun thing to do in video games.

Last edited by Bruh; 11/12/20 02:55 PM.
I just want a companion to vibe with man!!! just a chill person with no alignment in particular! and is willing to shroom with me!

Even though it was a brief meeting I feel like karlach is who I'm looking for! laugh

J
stranger
stranger
J
And don’t forget a mule. Definitely need a mule, that githyanki can’t carry everything.
Maybe they can make the owl bear the mule? With high charisma for selling.

Last edited by Jeffreedammit; 11/12/20 06:56 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jeffreedammit
And don’t forget a mule. Definitely need a mule, that githyanki can’t carry everything.
Maybe they can make the owl bear the mule? With high charisma for selling.

Where is Lydia, when we need her?

Originally Posted by Verte

Where is Lydia, when we need her?

"I am sworn to carry your burdens"

veteran
veteran
I think your point about the dice roll is true. I don't think dice rolls should be a part of companion story arc.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
J
stranger
stranger
J
Lydia??? Oh god no. No more female meatheads please. Unless she’s a half-orc with high charisma. Then I’ll let her be my mule.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zarna

I think you are referring to stereotypical companions from many years ago. Most of the current five revealed companions actually fit the current stereotypical companion model.

But ultimately it is about having enough of a range of different styles of companions so most people can pick out a party that satisfies them. Right now someone like you already has enough choices to satisfy your party preference. By contrast, someone like me does not, and based on the three additional choices we will supposedly get, still won't have my party preference even with their addition. This is clearly a problem with the game if it caters only to the preference of one segment of the fanbase at the expense of the others.
Originally Posted by Bruh
I think people whine too much about companions. Shadowheart WAS good before last update, and if you really don't like a companion, by no means do you have to "put up" with them.

This again is a very convenient generalization based on your preference. I absolutely do have to put up with them to fill out my party. I don't see the point of playing with party companions who are empty vessels with no personality or story. So the option of custom-creating companions is an option I won't even acknowledge as a real option.

old hand
old hand
I had also stated that I hope there would be companions of the type the OP prefers as well. This would also include someone like you I think? I had interpreted them to be wanting the more stereotypical older style companions, not sure if this is what you also want. My comment about looking at things from their point of view was more to try and help OP and maybe others to perhaps find it easier to deal with them for now.

I would like to see many possible companions so everyone would be happy. Ideally an origin one for each class or one of every alignment, then in the next act to have new options to better create the ideal party. The current companions certainly don't fit in all of my parties but I am willing to put up with them (we have the same goal for now) until I find others I prefer to join me later. This is something I have got used to in every game I play, there is rarely a full group of perfect companions I can find. Closest I ever got was the ME trilogy, probably because the group was so small. I can definitely understand you not wanting to make a party of full customs, this is a pain unless you are bored enough to create backstories for everyone and even then you miss out on possible dialogue.

What did you call my lae'zel?

Last edited by T2aV; 12/12/20 07:10 AM.
B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by kanisatha

This again is a very convenient generalization based on your preference. I absolutely do have to put up with them to fill out my party. I don't see the point of playing with party companions who are empty vessels with no personality or story. So the option of custom-creating companions is an option I won't even acknowledge as a real option.

Well then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment don't you?

journeyman
journeyman
I like the idea of female companions or companions in general that doesn't just readily accept whatever the player character does and turn a blind eye to them. I like the idea of companions that stand up to the player character and questions them on their choices and not follow the player blindly.

Last edited by Iszaryn; 12/12/20 12:01 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I keep seeing people saying we get evil first so expect them to be abrasive and unlikable. The best evil people are super charming. They're just selfish. Astarion is actually a great example of this. Shadowheart isn't even really that evil, and seems to be evil despite herself frankly, and I'm guessing the story will explain that in such a way that she isn't even bad. Nonetheless, Laezel makes perfect sense to me. I mean look at the other Githyanki we meet. Damn!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard