Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

Yup. I used to fiercely defend the name... I just wish they were more willing to do this name justice. I would be far less critical if it was a new IP. I'd just like it, dislike, call it "not a masterpiece, but quite enjoyable" and not fuss over it. But a new instalment in a beloved series is a promise. Unfulfilled in this case.

I have to give a confession at this point. I have not yet bought this Baldurs Gate 3 but reasons for it I wanted it slightly more content and more bugs fixed before I buy. I fully intend to buy it. Therefore I can not judge your verdict not enough Baldurs Gate style.

Here are my analysis guesses at least how they can add more BG feeling a bit:
1. First of Elves can live thousands of years. An elf could live to this Baldurs Gate 3 time. As for none elven races we might meet their relatives next generation. We might find journals and history of old Baldurs Gate events.

2. I am not expert but I suspect BG3 has lots of use environment but more then that. BG 1 if we compare to that had quite a lot of Drama and Action and possible even mild Horror elements (at least the expansion with Werewolf Island was Horror theme and fairly smart shapeshifters they did not all rush the tank no they went for your weak melee characters like smart predators). Baldurs Gate 3 has perhaps a bit more focus on "fun" things and use the environment.

3. A slighty nastier AI... let the players be ambushed by enemies. Players could though try to flee as solution to that.

Well though BG1 had some fun moments example the Paladin and his hamster pet comments…

Last edited by Terminator2020; 10/12/20 04:45 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Terminator2020

Yup. I used to fiercely defend the name... I just wish they were more willing to do this name justice. I would be far less critical if it was a new IP. I'd just like it, dislike, call it "not a masterpiece, but quite enjoyable" and not fuss over it. But a new instalment in a beloved series is a promise. Unfulfilled in this case.

I have to give a confession at this point. I have not yet bought this Baldurs Gate 3 but reasons for it I wanted it slightly more content and more bugs fixed before I buy. I fully intend to buy it. Therefore I can not judge your verdict not enough Baldurs Gate style.

1. First of Elves can live thousands of years. An elf could live to this Baldurs Gate 3 time. As for none elven races we might meet their relatives next generation. We might find journals and history of old Baldurs Gate events.

2. I am not expert but I suspect BG3 has lots of use environment but more then that. BG 1 if we compare to that had quite a lot of Drama and Action and possible even mild Horror elements (at least the expansion with Werewolf Island was Horror theme and fairly smart shapeshifters they did not all rush the tank no they went for your weak melee characters like smart predators). Baldurs Gate 3 has perhaps a bit more focus on "fun" things and use the environment.

Well though BG1 had some fun moments example the Paladin and his hamster pet comments…

It really isn't a very good idea to take stuff without paying for it and then admit it on the company's official forums.

J'aime le fromage.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by asheraa
I really don't understand how people can be crying Broken Promises about BG context for BG3;

A) It's literally set a day or two from BG with a group of people literally making their way TO that place

B) We've only seen the very beginning of the game. Not even the whole opening chapter, we have no idea what connections to the other two BG games we'll see once these *completely new* characters reach BG proper

C) The datamining to date has shown that several key previous BG characters will be not only coming back, but making 'lead cast' impacts on the game world

D) Larian Q&A and updates have explicitly stated that once we reach the start of the next chapter more and more connections to the first BG games will become very apparent and integral to the story of this game

I think people are really forgetting that we are in Early Access, and have NOT been given access to the full game... hell we haven't even been given full access to the FIRST CHAPTER!! We don't have the classes, spells, companions, or story. We don't even know if the companion progression and pacing will remain the same once the full game is live (I'm tempted to say they have allowed us to 'rush through' the companion story so far, so we can get a proper 'teaser' for the 'evil' companions). The pacing of camp instalments feels very sporadic and rushed to me, so I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if the pacing is different and the bugs involving clashing triggers are vastly altered or removed on full release.

I just think we're jumping the gun here, and we should maybe put the game away for a few months if we've burned enough played hours to start picking plot holes in a game that we've barely seen a rough draft for the first chapter of.

Or as hubs told me once when I got on a truly righteous rant about how much I despise ME3:
"I know you adore the series, but if you can't find ANYTHING to comment positively on... maybe you just shouldn't play THIS game in the series".

It's a game guys, it's supposed to be fun. If you hate it, it's not fun.. It's not going to magically be exactly the game you want at this point, it's already been brought and paid for... and seriously the FIRST dev interview with the D&D creators straight up told us what style and mechanics they were aiming for. And we got exactly that, like it or not, it's 5e built on a DOS2 template.

+1

D
Banned
Banned
D
Originally Posted by vometia
It really isn't a very good idea to take stuff without paying for it and then admit it on the company's official forums.

Wait what you are not allowed to discuss on these forums before buying Baldurs Gate 3? Can you read? That is a dude that probably has seen Baldurs Gate 3 on youtube videos and read stuff on the forums. He admitted he has not yet bought Baldurs Gate 3 but will do it. Can you clarify it is not allowed to talk about a game before you have bought it??? He has not admitted taking any stuff at all.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Hey dont forget Owlcat for their Pathfinder.

Obisidian will make this game a laggy mess with uninteresting characters.

Owlcat will make this game a buggy mess while the gameplay is as painful as possible with timers.

Originally Posted by Danielbda

AC are not RPGs because they lack both elements that constitute one:
1. Character customization
2. Story customization (choices that bear consequences)

Recent ones got both, certainly to a higher extent than Witcher. And I think nobody argues that Witcher is an RPG. The story is not as good, but they are certainly trying to copy Wither success.

enthusiast
enthusiast
*Everything* is an RPG these days. Even if it's just the next cinematic action-adventure with superficially RPG elements. Obsidian, whilst we're at them, rightfully mocked all that when they first announced The Outer Worlds. "An exciting new RPG with RPG elements" it was to be according to their press release.

That pretty fun and apt joke seemed to have not gotten the attention it deserved. wink

Last edited by Sven_; 10/12/20 09:42 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by vometia

I skimmed through his posting history (it’s very short) and unless I’m missing something he never claimed to have played the game, illegally or otherwise. I only see mentions of him having watched gameplay videos on YouTube.

old hand
old hand
I would argue that the Witcher 3 is not an RPG but an action game with rpg elements.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Y
Y
I think the game is freaking awesome so far in EA. I've only ever teased the idea of playing DnD. But thru BG3 I've looked into the game mechanics so much and found it so rewarding. And honestly replaying the game now, with so much more information and actually strategizing my skills and team builds to work for me, its such a joy.

I've not played Outer worlds, but from my other experiences (fallout, TES, all the Witcher, and more) i think Larian is doing a fantastic job so far with BG3. I say that keeping in mind that much more content is coming but what we got so far just shows there's so much more good to come.

veteran
veteran
I do not have a definition of RPG but here are some thoughts:

My best idea is based on an article I read about character skill vs player skill.
- Action game: The result depends only on how and when the player presses buttons. You shoot at the enemy and when the cross hair is on the enemy when you press the shoot button you will hit. The enemy attacks and only when you press dodge or move at the right moment you avoid the hit. Your char might have stats (usually every game has a health bar), but if you do not push the right button in the right moment you have no chance.
- RPG: You give your char the command to attack the enemy. If you hit or not depends only on your equipment, stats and positioning. Your abilities to push buttons with the right timing is meaningless as long as you somehow manage to give your char commands at all.
- Action RPG: You have to press buttons to move, attack and dodge, but you also have stats, equipment and levels. So pressing the right button in the right moment is importent, but you still have no chance to beat a boss when you are a lv1 char with a wooden stick and hard fights become easier when you gain some new levels, equipment or abilities.

Usually RPGs have also:
- A complex story with many different characters
- There are many different NPC, some of them give you quests and you get rewards for doing them.
- You grow stronger over time by gaining levels, equipment or abilities.

So BG3 is definitely a RPG, as well as almost everything else that is besed on PnP and also most JRPGs are also RPGs.

I also think that genres get more and more blurred. It all started with simple arcade games ( I think pong was the first popular electronic game, then came stuff like space invaders ) and when games became more complex it condensed into several destinct genres. While there were always games that mixed things up, now its more normal than ever before that some games do not clearly fit into one genre but instead they have many different elements from many different genres and often they add something completely new.

final words:
- BG3 is definitely an RPG by any possible definition I can think of.
- I do not care about the definition of RPG. I care about that I enjoy playing a game.
I like both westen and eastern RPGs (BG1+2, Kingmaker / Trails of cold Steel ) and action RPG ( TW3, Fallout NV / Nier Automata ) and I definitely love totally weired stuff ( Undertale, Disco Elysium )
I also value a good story more than the game mechanics. I love PST but I never finished IWD, not because it was too hard but because I got bored when I had forgotten why I was here after killing tons of monsters.
There is only one dungeon crawler I have ever finished ( a JRPG with crazy characters and lots of text for a dungeon crawler ) and I never played a rogue like because I prefer playing hand crafted content once over playing random stuff repeatedly.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I only see mentions of him having watched gameplay videos on YouTube.

Well thank you moderators and Warlocke. It all got sorted out happily in the end. Lets forget this and move on.

Anyway I did buy yesterday late evening Baldurs Gate 3 from gog.com
Perhaps due to Cyberpunk 2077 release or otherwise it is extremely slow to download but lets see if I can play this during weekend.

I have a gaming laptop with these specs
decent I5 Intel CPU
8 GB RAM
Nvidia 1060 6GB DDR5
and
desktop
decent AMD Ryzen CPU
16 GB RAM
Nvidia 1070 8GB DDR5
The reason I have 2 computers? Work reasons and I have had to travel a lot due to my work.

Cyperpunk 2077 by the way since some say it is RPG?
There does not exist a computer that can run it well on max settings. The vast majority of player believe max settings are ULTRA in Ray Tracing. Completely wrong max settings have name PSYCHO.

In addtion do not have some DLLS on automatic because that means it is on PERFORMANCE and certainly not best quality.

Finally I am not saying it is wrong to play with Ray Tracing ULTRA setting it looks good enough.
I have a 3 year warrantry on my computers bought end of 2018... will not buy any new PC hardware before that warrantry is out.

I already have said I dont care what your computer is you can not get 60+ fps on average in Cyberpunk 2077
with Ray Tracing set to PSYCHO and everyting else max and 4k resolution.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 11/12/20 12:22 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Cyperpunk 2077 by the way since some say it is RPG?
There does not exist a computer that can run it well on max settings. The vast majority of player believe max settings are ULTRA in Ray Tracing. Completely wrong max settings have name PSYCHO.

I think I was a bit dismissive about its RPGishness at first. I really got off to a bad start as it seems to throw players in the deep end IMHO; same with settings: it had set mine to ultra or whatever it called it which I think was beyond the ability of my ageing R9 390 to deal with. That and the default mouse settings make it feel like it has really bad mouse lag. A bit of tweaking makes it run well enough. I mean speaking as someone who gets bad motion-sickness if it doesn't.

It makes me think a lot of Saints Row (mainly 3). I'm not sure if that's what they were aiming for, but it's keeping me entertained for the time being.

The reason I have 2 computers? Work reasons and I have had to travel a lot due to my work.

Sometimes you just need to have separate physical computers: some things don't like to share (e.g. Windows, which is essential for PC games but which I don't use for anything else). My server and desktop systems are also a lot more frugal with power consumption...

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I really don't understand how people can be crying Broken Promises about BG context for BG3;

A) It's literally set a day or two from BG with a group of people literally making their way TO that place

The CITY of Baldur's Gate is not what defines the original BG games. So having that eponymous city in this game doesn't serve to justify the title of BG3. That's like saying every movie set in NYC is part of the same series/franchise of movies.

Did... you read the rest of my comment?

Or did you just see that first line and knee jerk it?

It means I didn't have any issues to raise with the rest of your post and only had an issue to raise with this part of your post.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
I would argue that the Witcher 3 is not an RPG but an action game with rpg elements.

And I would vigorously disagree. But ultimately what matters is that none of us has copyrights over the term RPG, and, as @Madscientist says very well, the definitions don't matter so much as whether we enjoy a particular game or not. I love the "RPG" genre almost exclusively for my video gaming preferences. Hard to argue Ps:T is not an RPG. And yet, I don't care much for Ps:T and personally view it as an overrated game. We all have our weirdnesses and our peculiarities. smile

W
veteran
veteran
W

And I would vigorously disagree. But ultimately what matters is that none of us has copyrights over the term RPG, and, as @Madscientist says very well, the definitions don't matter so much as whether we enjoy a particular game or not. I love the "RPG" genre almost exclusively for my video gaming preferences. Hard to argue Ps:T is not an RPG. And yet, I don't care much for Ps:T and personally view it as an overrated game. We all have our weirdnesses and our peculiarities. smile

Sorry, but this is the internet and therefore I cannot abide your personal opinion on PS:T being considered anything less than a masterpiece. You have offended my good sensibilities and the general standards of public decency. I demand satisfaction. Pistols at dawn.

Anyway, I find the debate over what games are considered to be RPGs generally pretty tedious. Some people say The Witcher 3 isn’t an RPG because it doesn’t have deep mechanics and customization, some say Diablo 2 isn’t an RPG because it doesn’t have an interactive story, and some say Final Fantasy games aren’t RPGs because they have neither of these features. While I wouldn’t say it is always the case, what I generally observe is that what people are really saying is that “the games that others call RPGs and that I don’t like are not RPGs.” I personally don’t like The Witcher games, don’t generally like top-down Diablo style ARPGs and can count the number of JRPGs I like on the fingers of one hand, but I’m very comfortable saying these are all different flavors of a single, incredibly diverse genre, as long as we can all agree that The Legend of Zelda is not an RPG.

Last edited by Warlocke; 11/12/20 07:14 PM.
addict
addict

Sorry, but this is the internet and therefore I cannot abide your personal opinion on PS:T being considered anything less than a masterpiece. You have offended my good sensibilities and the general standards of public decency. I demand satisfaction. Pistols at dawn.

Anyway, I find the debate over what games are considered to be RPGs generally pretty tedious. Some people say The Witcher 3 isn’t an RPG because it doesn’t have deep mechanics and customization, some say Diablo 2 isn’t an RPG because it doesn’t have an interactive story, and some say Final Fantasy games aren’t RPGs because they have neither of these features. While I wouldn’t say it is always the case, what I generally observe is that what people are really saying is that “the games that others call RPGs and that I don’t like are not RPGs.” I personally don’t like The Witcher games, don’t generally like top-down Diablo style ARPGs and can count the number of JRPGs I like on the fingers of one hand, but I’m very comfortable saying these are all different flavors of a single, incredibly diverse genre, as long as we can all agree that The Legend of Zelda is not an RPG.

I'd say that Witcher 3 is an RPG because you do have customization over Geralt's gameplay and dialogue, albeit less than in a CRPG. Diablo 2 is not an RPG because there are no choices in the story and JRPGs are not RPGs in any sense. Maybe FF1 was, because you could create the party and therefore customize them.

veteran
veteran

Pistols?! Shouldn't it be rapiers? En garde!! wink

I personally don’t like The Witcher games, don’t generally like top-down Diablo style ARPGs and can count the number of JRPGs I like on the fingers of one hand, but I’m very comfortable saying these are all different flavors of a single, incredibly diverse genre, as long as we can all agree that The Legend of Zelda is not an RPG.

Right on.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Planescape Torment?? I am a bit fairly good to it. First of all disclaimer I have never played the Planescape Torment computer game.

Reasons I did not buy it?
A. Praised for you can play good, neutral or evil. For me this is whatever I can take Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter over this.
B. Well not much variety in monsters... Demons, Devils, Rats, Celestial creatures. Undead that oddly often are more friendly then humans? Whats up with this? For me undead are like in the Walking Dead TV series or more intelligent but as general Evil.

Well I do have some experience of playing with Dungeons Dragons rules Planescape Torment?
Yes in Paper and Pen session that took days and many hours
please see the link and read the explanation:
ROPECON FINLAND greatest Fantasy event held in Northern Europe usually once per year see the link or read the explanation

ROPECON WIKIPEDIA LINK

Ropecon (Finnish pronunciation: [ropekon]) is a role-playing convention held annually in Finland. The convention is one of the largest non-commercial annual events of its kind, having reached a record of "over 4900" attendees in 2019.[1] The current venue is the Messukeskus Helsinki convention centre in Helsinki, the capital city of Finland.

Ropecon hosts a wide variety of different types of games, including role-playing games, live action role-playing games, collectible card games, miniature wargames and strategy games. The event also has a range of lectures, panel discussions and other presentations covering different aspects of gaming. Past guests of honor have included several prominent game designers, such as Steve Jackson.

Ropecon is organised by the Ropecon Society, a joint venture of several Finnish role-playing associations. The practical arrangements are made by the unpaid members of an organising committee and hundreds of voluntary workers at the convention. Any profits are used to support various other role-playing activities.

The name "Ropecon" comes from the Finnish language word "roolipeli", meaning role-playing game, but is also a nod to the English language word "rope", a vital piece of equipment in classic dungeon crawl role-playing games.

The Finnish culture ministry supported Ropecon in 2013 with funding.[2]

The 2020 convention was moved into an online event because of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic

Anyway in that event roughly a decade ago a GM who said that he will have an D&D Pen and Paper play session taking days in Planescape Torment inspired by the computer game. I said immediately I have not played the computer game but I do have played Dungeons Dragons before and GM was very satisfied with that. We created characters that were not level 1, but neither any high level characters. Anyway what was my experience of this? It felt fairly good and slightly different, but I have had both better and worse roleplaying sessions then this in Pen and Paper.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 12/12/20 12:05 AM.
old hand
old hand
roppikonni

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard