Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
enthusiast
enthusiast
To me, the triumph of the BG series, was a diversity of companions and being able to build different parties. As well as conflicts and characters being free to leave.
So, Untadpolled companions and many of them. Who leave if they don't share your caused, have arguments with each other and aren't linked to you by destiny but by choice.

A Xan style, I've here to a mission and you seem to align with that but I'm not invested in you specifically, LN would be fun. Especially if you wind up really close and then as soon as they finish their mission they're like, that's me i'm off, pass a hard roll and make the right dialogue choices based on what you remember form their conversations to convince them or they leave.

Also, I really enjoyed how the goblins and hobgoblins are characterised in the ruins, so a goblinoid would be great. But not as a comic relief.

A changeling, if they were like the early version (with the every skill a different personality) would be really fun and we have planar shenanigans to justify it too.

Originally Posted by Jeffreedammit
Bring back Korgan Bloodaxe or similar. Not a romantic interest, just a blood thirsty head remover.

Yes, an uncomplicated I know why I am here and so do you, lets get on with it. It'd be cool if it was Bloodaxe as he'd still be around and probably doing the same, and the game could explore, what happens to an uncomplicated evil merc/adventurer when they.. save the world and are now famous but don't care. It could be fun and of all the characters to bring back, he'd be the least fanservicey so probably to best to work on his own rather than just, hey remember me from the thing?

I'd kind of like an uncomplicated fighter to be, a not traditionally evil or fighter species though. Something about that personality on a hafling, aasimar or gnome would be hilarious but with the character still being completely played straight and serious not a comic relief.

Last edited by Starshine; 11/12/20 11:09 PM.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Bruh
a companion that gives some comic relief

Please for the love of all that is good, no.

C’mon you didn’t find Korgan funny in the slightest? He actually had me lol quite a few times. Astarion is entertaining too. Imagine having both of them in the party cutting up.

B
Banned
Banned
B
a companion that gives some comic relief

Please for the love of all that is good, no.

C’mon you didn’t find Korgan funny in the slightest? He actually had me lol quite a few times. Astarion is entertaining too. Imagine having both of them in the party cutting up.

I dont consider Korgan to be comic relief, the same way I don't find Varric in DA comic relief. Comic relief is someone like Grobnar from NWN2, someone who exist sorely to be funny and have no personality beyond that.
I'm pretty happy with Astarion.

old hand
old hand
...Thats not comic relief. That's forced comedy. If it's funny or comedic (or meant to be, anyway) in order to alleviate the situation, that's comic relief. Whether or not that is bad or good comedy is irrelevant.

A lot of Korgan's character is comic relief. Not all, but he's probably the most comic reliefy companion character in BG2 after Minsc. Edwin might give him a run for the money, I don't remember him very well (most often didn't make use of him).

Optimistically Apocalyptic
enthusiast
enthusiast
A character can make jokes without being comic relief.

Atleast BG2 made Edwin and even minsc, fleshed out characters. especially Edwin. Minsc is still a bit but the banter with him explores his character passed where you can say its all he is.Edwin has plenty character exploration going on and a repeating icarius character arc.
Tiax is really the comic relief character I'd point to of the early games, and while he rules all, I think I'm in the majority when I say I didn't really ever use him or care about him. I did Edwin.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Starshine
A character can make jokes without being comic relief.

No, that's... literally what comic relief is.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
enthusiast
enthusiast
It's when it defines, typifies or if the purpose of the character in the narrative. Not one small aspect or a context appropriate moments of dialogue/characterisation.
Otherwise by, any joke in any aspect of them or any dialogue = relief, then there's never been a character written who isn't.

For the topic and from your avatar, I kinda of hope there's an underdark origin companion seeing as how that's where the next act can happen. Probably not a drow as while, beloved, we have two elves already so maybe a deep gnome?
They get to be gnomes without the wacky intellectual personality and are generally shown as just people who live under hardship so could make a good NG 'I just want for others better than I got' character?

L
stranger
stranger
L
Hmmmmm. Maybe a taciturn ranger with a heart of gold. (Note: they are not unkind/curt, just are of few words)

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am really rooting for a dwarf companion. Very cliched, with a bad scottish accent and a dangerously out of hand alcoholism. I am a simple guy like that.

But jokes aside, I would really like a dwarf party member who is just normal, for a dwarf. A dwarf barbarian perhaps, from Icewind Dale. Something like that. I like the companions so far but I do miss some levity. I dont mean silliness, just mean somebody like Korgan who makes you laugh (I remember he made me laugh out aloud multiple times in bg2).

I know that some of you guys are vary of Larian's wacky humour but I do think some light-heartedness is in order.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
I am really rooting for a dwarf companion. Very cliched, with a bad scottish accent and a dangerously out of hand alcoholism. I am a simple guy like that.

But jokes aside, I would really like a dwarf party member who is just normal, for a dwarf. A dwarf barbarian perhaps, from Icewind Dale. Something like that. I like the companions so far but I do miss some levity. I dont mean silliness, just mean somebody like Korgan who makes you laugh (I remember he made me laugh out aloud multiple times in bg2).

I know that some of you guys are vary of Larian's wacky humour but I do think some light-heartedness is in order.

I second this. We need a dwarf. I would prefer an cultural artifact like a paladin of Moradin, and he could also be on the side of beerlovers, and be a bit of a jokester, but he should also have a heart of gold and not be stupid. Something like a wise old grandpa with a huge hammer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You are soo speaking my lg... :DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

veteran
veteran
I definitively want a bard in the group - bards are the best.

And a druid would be great. I like Halsin so far, but I don't think, we can snitch away the leader of the druid grove. Maybe someone like Nettie? I know, she tried to kill us, but I think, in her case it's kind of understandable.

There was the Tiefling adventurer group, you can convince to stay and help the refugees - I really would like the girl from the group as a companion. She seems to be nice and determined and if you convince her to stay, you here her arguing later on with the guy, that wanted to leave and she brings some good arguments. I don't know - I like her from the bits, we get. She could be another fighter - or the bard.

I do love Varric from DA2 - a companion like him, trustworthy, funny and cunning, would be nice. Not every companion has to bring their personal drama - I think, it's already enough as it is. I like some companions, that are your friends and in it for the adventure without being haunted by their past/a demon/(...apply some dark sceret here...).

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fylimar
I like Halsin so far, but I don't think, we can snitch away the leader of the druid grove.

We can already get him to come with us, we just can't convince him to leave camp and do the adventuring thing with us. C'mon, Halsin, you know you want to!

Minsc (&Boo of course) (Ranger/Barbarian)
A paladin, good aligned and wise (Dragonborn)
A Tieflin bard (the blue skin girl at the party with the sligh bells), hell rock style and funny, with true inner beauty and with a secret celestial origin
More clerics & more different gods

B
Banned
Banned
B
If we really MUST get a bard (yuck), can we at least get an evil one? A good bard is a contradiction in terms for me. However an infiltrator/spy/manipulator kindof person who gets his ways by social interactions and some bardic magic would make a perfect cunning villain who could betray us in the end.
Imagine Eldoth from BG1, but more developed and socially savvy.
Come to think of it, I'm kinda surprised Astarion isn't a bard. It would be a better fit with his high elf race because a bard is basically a magical rogue with social skills.

Last edited by Bruh; 19/12/20 08:39 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
If we really MUST get a bard (yuck), can we at least get an evil one? A good bard is a contradiction in terms for me. However an infiltrator/spy/manipulator kindof person who gets his ways by social interactions and some bardic magic would make a perfect cunning villain who could betray us in the end.
Come to think of it, I'm kinda surprised Astarion isn't a bard. It would be a better fit with his high elf race because a bard is basically a magical rogue with social skills.

Whats wrong with bards? I think they are a great class in 5e. Also I dont really see how they must be edgy and evil. How are they a contradiction?

veteran
veteran
I agree, we have enough edgy and at least morally flexible companions. I like a good bard.
And maybe an interesting Ranger (not Minsc!). More someone like Kivan.

Doctor Who
B
Banned
Banned
B
Originally Posted by spacehamster95

Whats wrong with bards? I think they are a great class in 5e. Also I dont really see how they must be edgy and evil. How are they a contradiction?

Bards have originally been charismatic coomers who had secks with everything that moved, plus their social skills make thema dept at manipulation, infiltration and spying. Keep in mind that bards are a rogue-class. Also the problem with bards is that I hate their guts and yet they are always represented in every video game, while barbarians and monks never are, even though they are both much more interesting classes.

veteran
veteran
So you hate bards, another one hates wizards or rogues. If every class, someone hates would get cut from the game, it would be a very boring game indeed.
I hate Minsc, but he is shoved at us in every BG game (from what I saw even in this one), so nothing to be done. Just don't use a bard companion, if you don't like them, like I don't use Minsc, problem solved.
Btw I find barbarians and monks not even a bit interesting - tastes vary

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Starshine
Bring back Korgan Bloodaxe or similar. Not a romantic interest, just a blood thirsty head remover.

Yes, an uncomplicated I know why I am here and so do you, lets get on with it. It'd be cool if it was Bloodaxe as he'd still be around and probably doing the same, and the game could explore, what happens to an uncomplicated evil merc/adventurer when they.. save the world and are now famous but don't care. It could be fun and of all the characters to bring back, he'd be the least fanservicey so probably to best to work on his own rather than just, hey remember me from the thing?

I'd kind of like an uncomplicated fighter to be, a not traditionally evil or fighter species though. Something about that personality on a hafling, aasimar or gnome would be hilarious but with the character still being completely played straight and serious not a comic relief.

Yeah I could get into that. Someone who's just there to merc the hapless rubes and take their money hehe. Korgan was great in BG2, and the Zhent pairing from BG1 was also rad, Monty and Xzar had the best barks.

Like I'm guessing they'd save Xzar's reappearance for an NPC Lich King by now, or maybe some unfortunate B-tier Zombie. Maybe he got demoted from some shit that went totally awry and backfired, just trying to shake off the dust now, eat some brains and get his game back. That would have been funny for a "speak with the dead" riff.

There are other PCs from the first two games who might sensibly still be alive 100 years out. Any of the Elves or Dwarves could work. And there are plenty of planar accidents or various 'turned to stone' type tropes that could have been used to bring back a few favs. They teased Minsc and that's cool, but I still haven't seen him, and anyway I probably would have been more interested in seeing Kivan again.

Druids have traditionally ceased to age at higher levels, so if she didn't get off'd at Trademeet, Faldorn could still doing her thing, or maybe we run into Cernd somewhere down the line.

Any of those could work for an act 3 insert.

But mainly I just wish there were a lot of non-origin companions to round things out. For a more BG feel the VA work for such companions should be focused on simple barks and banters, not full on cinematics or romance. More peeps that could come and go, get chunked or left by the wayside, without upending the whole tadpole-team plot device. Right now the bar is set so low, I'd be happy if we end up with a dozen possible companions. Its just sad cause this is BG3 and I'd have hoped for more companions than we got BG2 which had a potential roster of 25. In the first two games there were a couple versions of each class archetype to choose from, which made the party feel a lot more flexible.

With the 5 companions currently available there's not much dynamism to party composition, or room to play it more by alignment. There's basically one Good aligned party that includes Gale and Wyll (with Shadowheart, Lae'zel or Astarion being constantly annoyed with your decisions) and one Evil aligned party where you have to listen to Shadowheart and Lae'zel gripe about each other, or else deal with constant disapproval from Gale or Wyll who don't really want to be there for the bloodsports.

Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard