Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I loved the paper scissors rock mechanic in DOS:1 when the players disagreed on which dialogue option should be selected.

Any chance we can bring this back? At the moment it is only up to the person who initiated the conversation which makes the other player a backseat passenger. It would be awesome if we could disagree with each other on what should be said, and the game decides which one of us gets to speak

veteran
Online Confused
veteran
I don’t think RPS mini game was a good solution, but the idea itself is worth exploring. I think voting is a neat thing to allow coop players to express their preferences, but I seems very “immersion breaking” to me - something BG3 seems to trying to avoid I imagine with all that fancy presentation.

Conversations happening with the party would benefit both single and coop experiences - considering its DND a dice roll would probably be a more appropriate check rather then RPS mini game.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Agreed, maybe not rock paper scissors specifically but it would be great to see some kind of system where both players can have a voice. Dice rolling is a perfectly good option too!

addict
addict
There should be some way for other players to force a choice. If not RPS, then at least make the votes tally and matter. This would allow for more of an unpredictable outcome. Think of Mel Gibson in Braveheart when he rides out with the nobles who are looking to broker a peace deal.

[Linked Image]

veteran
Online Confused
veteran
This coop approach to RPG design is easily the most interesting aspect of Larian RPGs. I think the first step would be allowing for whole party conversations. Then we could figure out what would be s good way of fighting for control in a co-op setting.

M
M
I agree it would be really great if for coop if the other players votes are more meaningful and final choice is not just what the conversation starter selected. The arguments between the player characters during dos1 were the best moments for us, we constantly tried to charm/persuade/intimidate each other when we did not agree on something in order to convince the other one why we should deal with quests x or y way. It gave our party a unique chemistry.

The rockpaperscissors system worked well in dos1 but there could be other ways fitting style of bg3/dnd more, as others wrote it can be decided via dice roll or persuasion skill checks or something.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Even though the game was a big flop, Star Wars: The Old Republic had a cool system where everyone voted at the same time and one of the choices was selected behind the scenes. Probably my favourite part of that game.

addict
addict
Might even be cool if each vote was equal to the player's Charisma bonus (or maybe at least a base number + Charisma bonus)

Link Copied to Clipboard