Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 41 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 40 41
stranger
stranger
Hello,

Despite i really LOVE the game realy it s a very good game and i took a big pleasure to play a it. The control of the Camera is not very Good.

It' will be very cool to not have Lock on PNJ for scroll fromm border of screen and so to be need to press a key. moreover it will be very cool to have the near First Person to able us a free look (like look up down etc). And also have a Better DeZoom.

In Fact a total control of camera will be the better.

Wasteland 2 DC have the same problem but a man have do a MOD that Completly redone Camera Control and it's wonderfull completly change the pleasure of gaming. So if a solo man could do a mod for have a cool camera control i think a Studio Could also.

I realy hope somthing about Camera control and sorry to have post this thread it s not to complain only cause i love the game but the interfacce is perfectble and we are on beta so i take my luck to try to have a perfect game (and we are near of that laugh ).

Another Thing It's a horrible to could not select all carachter a give order like Stealth (or other type of command) cause do it one by one is a torture.

Thx in Advance Best Regards ExA

Bien mal acquis ne profite qu'après !!!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by herrkrabbe
Here is my take on cover, as a response to Gearcompass
Normally D&D 5e doesn't have hig ground or low ground, which BG3 does. BG3 does however not have cover, which 5e has. In my eyes the high ground mechanics are an replacement for the cover rules. It serves the same purpose as cover, and probably has less calculations than cover could need therefore speeding up combat loading times.

Cover has nothing to do with advantages and nuances exists in D&D.
The balance is absolutely not the same and those mechanics have nothing in common... You compare Apples with bananas

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/12/20 05:01 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by herrkrabbe
Here is my take on cover, as a response to Gearcompass
Normally D&D 5e doesn't have hig ground or low ground, which BG3 does. BG3 does however not have cover, which 5e has. In my eyes the high ground mechanics are an replacement for the cover rules. It serves the same purpose as cover, and probably has less calculations than cover could need therefore speeding up combat loading times.

Cover has nothing to do with advantages and nuances exists in D&D.
The balance is absolutely not the same and those mechanics have nothing in common... You compare Apples with bananas

Looking locally at the two and ignoring the fact that logically (IRL) someone standing on a huge rock has no significant advantage over someone on lower ground when both try to shoot each other he is not wrong.

@herrkrabbe If you really want to understand and maybe change your mind about why current high ground advantage is bad, please read the first post here: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=719930#Post719930. TL;DR; it destroys dozens of other aspects of D&D, some of which are already implemented in BG3.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I just started playing yesterday, and I'm new to this world, so take my suggestions for the uninformed spitballs that they are. I have played a lot of other RPGs extensively, so I know what goes on in general, though.

First, character creation has a lot of potential, but it is largely unrealized. The faces that exist are beautiful, but there just aren't enough of them. There should be more variety, with different... idk, personalities? to different faces. For example, try to have a few strong faces, a few gentle ones, some glamorous faces, shy, innocent, sly, etc. As it is now, there were like 2 attractive faces and 2 less attractive ones per race. I'm sure you can see the faces people choose, and I would bet that there is a clear winner for each race. There just aren't enough options.

Hair was another area for improvement. Again, the options that are there are great, but it would be nice to see more long styles. I'm not expecting Sephiroth - I know that long hair can create clipping issues and is a huge PITA to incorporate - but it's a little sad when I look more fantasy IRL than my RPG PC. For men, maybe this is too pointed, but a style with longish straight hair that isn't either totally pulled back or covering half his face would be nice. I guess I may have to wait for mods for this.

Oh, and maybe this is too niche too, but pupil options would be nice. Give us the option to look blind, please. And eyebrows options, especially for males.

The colors in character creation are beautiful and varied, but sometimes the color palette representation does not reflect the actual color once it's on the character. Eye color is a good example. I was looking for a dark green, maybe with a little brown. All of the greens were beautiful, clear greens that looked pretty light once I chose them even if they were more evergreen or olive on the palette.

Again, I just started, but the classes feel pretty similar and there are so many scrolls that it's easy to erase the differences that are there with items. I think that's totally appropriate for early game, but I do hope that changes as the game progresses. Maybe make scrolls a little less common later on.

So far, the camera is really annoying. Maybe I'll get better at it, but right now I am struggling.

Halsin and Abdirak need to be romance options. Pretty please.

I'll post more suggestions as I go on, and if there is a better place to do so, please direct me. Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun so far, so please don't take these suggestions as complaints. Early access exists for a reason, right? I'm just trying to help.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
Here is the list of Topest Priority items that need to be addressed before the game can be released.

List of the cheeses that need inclusion:
Elturelian Grey cheese (aka Stonework or Dwarfcheese, Elturel is up the Chionthar river, East from Baldur's Gate)
Vilksmaarg (popular in taverns on the Sword Coast)
Farmer's Cheese (a local cottage cheese)
Rothé Cheese (from the underdark, but specific varieties are unknown. Would be known to Dwarves and Drow)

List of Possible Cheeses for inclusion.
Warderdavian Cheese *Done* (From the Sword Coast North).
Nut Cheese (Multiple local varieties from the Savage Frontier)
Mist Cheese (referred to by Elves as Ethereal cheese, from the Savage Frontier)
Arabellan Cheddar (not local, but 'travels well')
Death Cheese (Possibly known to outsiders like Githyanki/Lae'zel via a restaurant in Sigil)
Churlgo Cheeses (three varieties of hard, soft, and runny cheeses made by a halfling family near Daggerford. Known for being an aquired taste and for being the type of cheese in the "Suzail Cheese Incident" This cheese was featured in the Neverwinter Nights module Darkness over Daggerford and was in operation around 1370 DR or about ~125 years before the events of Baldur's Gate III)

List of Cheeses for Exclusion
Lurien Spring Cheese (causes addiction and hallucinations in Halflings; would likely cause game balance issues).

T
stranger
stranger
T
I have played a little more and have some more to say.

The camera really is so irritating. It makes movement and targeting so much harder than they need to be. Those functions would be fine with a decent camera, but as it is, even getting around in buildings is beyond frustrating.

There have been several occasions where either my PC or my party members have gotten stuck. They can't move or jump from their place, usually between elevations, until I end a day. Also, sometimes we get separated and I have to manually run the stray character back to the party. The only way to fix that is to boot them from the party and recruit them again back at camp. So far I haven't done a lot of testing, but I think that also requires ending the day. Annoying. An option to tell a particular character to either stay or follow would be nice. I would like to be able to position people before initiating combat, or summon a friend who went astray without having to run the whole way.

Also, maybe this is my computer, but there are a lot of things that take too long. The NPCs planning their next moves in battle makes the fights last an eternity. Additionally, loading a game or an old save takes me minutes, not seconds. I have time to go pee or get a drink every time I reload a save. Really frustrating.

Oh, and I'm not sure, but I think ranger companion animals make you lose the chicken chasing game. The other friends stay back, but my raven followed me and I kept losing.

I'm not trying to be negative. These are just the things I would like to see fixed in an otherwise enjoyable game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
BTW At the end of the quest "Find Missing Shipment" when we give the unopened chest to Zarys She says here take this gold yet we receive No gold.

Now on scrolls that we find it says that "Wizards can learn scrolls" buy when I left click on the scroll it says "This class can't learn spells" and I'm like WTF it's Gale and he's a Wizard why can't he learn spells? Is the Learning spells from a scroll not yet implemented?

Some of the flavours which made former BG a delight, and so, wishes for the final release of BG3 :

* So many mini-quests (so you really want to talk to everybody)
* Huge Maps & Numerous maps : if EA is only one third of the final version, BG3 will be tiny. Even if it is one fifth, it will be a bit small...
* Random encounters & ambushes from nowhere : unpredictable surprises !
* Deep sandbox feelings in the freedom to follow many quests in many locations out of the main questline

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
BTW At the end of the quest "Find Missing Shipment" when we give the unopened chest to Zarys She says here take this gold yet we receive No gold.

Now on scrolls that we find it says that "Wizards can learn scrolls" buy when I left click on the scroll it says "This class can't learn spells" and I'm like WTF it's Gale and he's a Wizard why can't he learn spells? Is the Learning spells from a scroll not yet implemented?

He needs to be highlighted. If you control your main character and open inventory ANY scroll will learned by your active char, even if its in gales inventory. So either click on gales portrait in the inventory so he is highlighted or control him and the open your inventory. Then it should work.

stranger
stranger
Awesome thread!

May I please add the following thread, where quite a lot of us were talking about voice acting for main characters. At the moment during cut scenes, our main characters are voiceless which is jarring when everyone else in the scene is talking, and makes it difficult for the other player to stay informed of what dialogue choice is being selected in coop.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=86751&Number=668961#Post668961

enthusiast
enthusiast
Now I thought that the Helmets being seen on the toons was taken care of with this last update? Currently, the helmets can still be seen.

journeyman
journeyman
Now I thought that the Helmets being seen on the toons was taken care of with this last update? Currently, the helmets can still be seen.

In the equipment screen, on the helmet icon bottom right corner there's a button to choose if you want the helmet to be visible or not.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kajsentlyha

In the equipment screen, on the helmet icon bottom right corner there's a button to choose if you want the helmet to be visible or not.

Well now I never even caught that little in the corner by the helmet. Thanks, and it works like a charm.

veteran
veteran
I agree about the camera being terrible. I would like the camera being more freely (up and down for example) and it would be nice not to have to use the mouse and a button. Let us run with WSAD and use the camera with the mouse.

I sometimes have the bug, that someone selected stays in camp and has to be moved manually to the point, where the party is. Sometimes the whole party stays in camp.

Loading sometimes takes a long time and I have a good computer.

Enemies often take a long time in a battle to decide, what they want to do. It was especially annoying in the battle against the four masks in Auntie Ethels lair, where one of them needed a full half minute to do something. I know, they had those wisdom check in every turn, but that was still a long time.

Characters sometimes get stuck during a fight and are unable to do abything. And not because they were cursed or otherwise debuffed. My imp companion was just standing there in the fight against the masks and didn't do anything. There was no debuff on him and he was healthy. I had that with Lae too. It seems to happen to melee characters more often.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I don't know if someone already wrote about this but today I was trying to understand why Will couldn't use "read thoughts", so I opened the character sheet of the party. While I was there I digged a bit on the four sheets, that's when I noticed that Shadowheart's tags gave away infos that to me felt like spoiler (not to me that already have completed the first act but to a new player who is discovering the companions' past through dialogues and exploration).

Originally Posted by Bufotenina
I don't know if someone already wrote about this but today I was trying to understand why Will couldn't use "read thoughts", so I opened the character sheet of the party. While I was there I digged a bit on the four sheets, that's when I noticed that Shadowheart's tags gave away infos that to me felt like spoiler (not to me that already have completed the first act but to a new player who is discovering the companions' past through dialogues and exploration).

I know what you mean and agree that that particular tag should not be featured until at the least the appropriate story moment, when it would then more naturally update.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
M
stranger
stranger
M
I'm going to put this here as well in the hopes a Dev sees it !

Firstly, I’d like to start off by saying I’ve spent hundreds of hours on BG 1, BG2, DOS1, and DOS2 (some of these 200+ or more). In addition, I’d also like to say that some of these are understandably work in progress issues (cinematics, balancing issues, lack of mouthing during dialogue etc). Also, I genuinely believe that if there’s a company that could do BG3 properly it would be Larion, which is why I wrote this short story.

Game immersion and noteworthy issues

The main character in dialogue always has the “confident amusement” look.
The dice roles are always too high and offer nothing for ‘animal handling’
Jump still looks too arcadey, as does the mind-connection effects.
Thieves didn’t seem to be very useful. They worked well in dark spaces but otherwise somewhat 2 dimensional and ineffective.
Clerics (at lower lvls at least feel ineffective as buffers). I didn’t keep shadowheart for long so I don’t know how well she scales. It felt more effective to be aggressive with her than buffing.
It feels like cantrips and low lvls skills specifically for mages and warlocks seems to spam one skill. Maybe provide better loading screen suggestions for Disguise self, or other less obvious cantrips. Perhaps some of the cantrips can be ‘bonus actions’.
It feels less immersive when textures and environments effects are loading directly after a the save is loaded (rather than just make the loading screen longer [with more useful in-game tips])
The camera placement during dialogue is often awful. Often gets stuck with walls, textures etc between camera and dialogue character.
The in-game camera in the open world frequently gets stuck behind rocks (especially when exploring fringes of the map). It also occasionally gets stuck under the map or ‘looking up’ at higher elevated characters.
Multiple floored buildings have an absolute horrendous ‘disappearing’ floor thing. Specifically “Waukeen’s Rest inn”. The camera can’t seem to decide if you’re on the first floor, the 2nd floor, or the roof. I even had instances where all characters were on the second floor but looked as if they were walking on thin air because the camera was focusing on the first floor.
Speaking to some companions when others want to speak as well results in other companions in the background (in cinematic) with a yellow question mark above their heads. It looks weird.
It also seems weird that the companions not joining you will gladly wait around camp while they turn into a mind flayer? Maybe they could get supplies of information during the day?
Huge bug in druid grove after saving Halsin where half the druids attacked me while Halsin (big peaceful boss, just chills and watches).
Collision detection needs work. Especially when ogres throw giant rocks. It end up being in you/on you and your character is either half on or inside the rock.
Bodies will scatter/bug out going in multiple directions.
During combat enemies will occasionally not perform their move/turn resulting in waiting for a minute. Sometimes clicking enemy portraits with kickstart the turn faster. This doesn’t happen often but occasionally.
Camp is always the same, generic setting. Even if you camp inside a cave it brings you to the same campsite. (Maybe Larian plans on making it a development or settlement of sorts, it just feels weird camping in a cave and it puts you in a forest.)

Additional (and easy) things to add!

Make ropes useful! It could prevent prone/fall dmg, drop it into a cave, sneak behind enemies.
Stop putting books, lore behind and under things and hard to see places! It makes us have to pick it up to read rather than quick read. “Hotkey cursor read/activate” button?
Jump at enemies! I want my heavy armored tank to jump from a building onto someone. It would be both hilarious and painful.
More XP for non-combat avenues. It sucks to play an RPG where u want to max out your character but this can only be done by killing everything.
Critical hits explode their enemies.
Auto-Dip script option for torches!
Add chromatic orb, maze, time stop, stone to flesh, WISH, chain contingency, horror/fear effects, summons, demons, dimension door (just to name some of the coolest). I’m sure you recognize it but high level spells in BG2 felt thunderous and earth-shattering.

Interface issues and Suggestions

Torches in the toolbar disappear rather than having a main weapon and torch accessible in the toolbar. This makes using a torch SUPER annoying.
Vendoring is notoriously time consuming and slow in BG1,2, DOS1,2. Click/drag to select multiple things at once would be much faster than double clicking each item or right clicking. Another suggestion is simply a hotkey sell button over whichever item the cursor hovers over.
Items in the world should have a hotkey to consume for the cursor rather than right click, consume.
Indicate with a solid border the usable items in inventory or skills that aren’t in the toolbar at the bottom. (It helps figure out what you might want in the toolbar for each character).
A spell which opens indicating multiple lvls can only be closed by double clicking. Add an X in the corner too.

Difficulty Suggestions

“Leaving Camp” should not return you to where you were in the open world. Nearest waypoint only so that you could be waylaid, get attacked, have to work to get back to where you were. It adds importance to waypoints and risk involved for pushing forward over resting.
Maps should not display hidden areas until they are discovered (secret rooms etc).
Permanent death
More volatile relationships between chaotic evil and lawful good characters.

I Llove what you guys are doing, the crazy amount of love and attention to detail. AND
I'd Love it if a Dev could comment (shameless call out for affirmation)
Happy Holidays! <3

V
stranger
stranger
V
A few notes of playing the surface area of Act 1. It's really great quality aready.

Regarding Save & Reload nuisances
- Being pushed by enemies into voids and being instantly killed shouldn't happen from a game ballance viewpoint / player experience.
- Alarms should be marked in Orange or Violet on pressing ALT. Destroying, muting or Shieding them in the Goblin camp is too efficient to miss out.
- Pls consider to indicate the expected difficulty / risk level of any dialogue choice, This could be a colour coded rating or the rolls target value. Eventually give the info for each party member nearby.
- Pls. consider give an estimate on which party members will disapprove certain choices.Some could read "hidden" when it's undesireable to give a hint from storyline viewpoint.

Combat mechanics
- Many spells can't be target on enemies being "too high" where shooting arrows / crossbows works.
- It's hard to predict from what position a high or low target is reachable by ranged weapons or spells. The steps of predicting this process result needs to be reviewed to prevent losing player turns. Currently enemies have an unintended advantage. A red transparent cone could be projected to the ground when aiming a spell or ranged weapon. This could indicate where walls and obstacles shield the target from certian pains. Players can then chose where to move before shooting.
- Aiming predictors of area effects need to be 3D and not 2D when utilizing height advantage/disadvantage and jump mechanics. Targets high/low enough are missed when in the projected 2D spell zone.
- Pls review the FOG spell clouds properties. I couldn't hide Gale from Goblins bows in it and I consider it w/o any useful function atm. Eventually to the Goblin being at elevated height in the Druids cove encounter. The spell appeard to have no height for primarily graphics display reasons Eventually the same 3D/2D inconsistency for many area effects.

UI
- Pls enable to mark multiple items for the same action to ease up organizing and selling items
- Camp wares storage should at best be accessible at dealer negotiations to ease up managinng looting low value stuff. Or place a dealer in the camp early on.
- I destroyed chests or barrels that I intended to open or investigate. Especially spilling Firewine and Oil were mostly unintended. I even destroyed the filled water barrel in my camp
- Pls enable to repeat all past dialogue from save games and not just the current session. Especially important when people need put the game aside for a few weeks and come back.
- A statement on benefits and penealties of high / low main attributes is missing for new players. Also a note on later improvements by level up.
- Players new to D&D games could benefit from a techtree preview where their character could develop into. Optionally link to a fandom website outside the game and outsource to the community to build this.

Storyline
- an intro to crafting is missing, especially making potions
- secrets are sometimes disappearing or not triggered/removed. For me the Harpers secret supply marker disappeared/never showed and the Goblins loot stash had only 9 coins in the chest and didn't clear. No skill roll striggered on anything in vincinity, Appears to incomplete.
- Halsin is stuck in my camp. He also unexpectedly relocated from the Selune Temple to the Druid Grove and then to my camp. The wording needs a review compared to actions.
- Halsin mentions more ways to Moonrise Towers than actually exist. Pls check consistency. Toll house dilogues and Halsin mentiones the path leading to Baldurs gate or to Moonrise towers rather contradictory.
- Discovering the letter from Shadow Druids to Kargah triggers no option on Halsin in my camp. Rath only points to Halsin on this piece of evidence. Is this meant to expire after solving the Goblins?
- Does a succesful talk through of the Githyanki Dragon Rider suppress access to the evidence/notes/hint to further advance that quest with all Githyanki departing and me avoiding any fight?
- rescue of Benryn got me stuck in turn based mode in a loop that didn't lift after couple of turns. Triggered when Benryn left the burning inn.
- not being able to raise the Fists warriors ladys mood from the loss of her comrade and make her leave with her comrades by any option is rather disheartening. She mourns on forever in her depressive episode. A rude Guthyanki "seen worse" comment should be enough to make her carry on. Maybe her comrades do pick her up. They could at least bury their dead too.
- There is no option to inform Flaming Fist about the Githyanki dragon rider having vaporized their platoon. The game appears to assumes the Inn being done first in the level pathway design. It's unclear wether the young lad of the fist escaped or not in the cutscence. Sth in options not triggered here?

Bugs
- the game crashed frequently after doing many things in the inventory
- The Moon Puzzle appears to switch colours on some wheels at random/on unkonwn event/some nuber of turns/certain condition and is having currently being rather illogical mechanics. Tried on both graphics options. Not all moons are visible in the low light even when activatiing all candles.

Game Balance
- max level 4 appears to be harsh limit on entering The Underdark. Minotaurs were hard but I expected to progress to 5 and 6 quickly there and surprised by the Highest level reached notification.
- The Githyanki engagement is ultra hard on level 2 or 3. Much of the team is ill positioned for a fight from arriving randomly out of engagement dialougue, Team is just 4 and enemiers have good resitance against spells and strong amour.

Never deny a DM your best game night cookies. Complain at your own risk.
stranger
stranger
The camera really is so irritating. It makes movement and targeting so much harder than they need to be. Those functions would be fine with a decent camera, but as it is, even getting around in buildings is beyond frustrating.
I agree. It feels like the camera is deliberately trying to get in the way. This starts with homing the camera, which does not look in the direction your character is looking and goes on to not being able to angle it up so that a character can see things up high.

It also does not help that enemies are not consistently shown in the minimap. This is really bad with the phase spiders in Whispering Depths: the spiders are shown moving about in the dark somewhere, but they do not show up in the minimap. Figuring out where they are involves really messing about with the camera in the dark ...

There have been several occasions where either my PC or my party members have gotten stuck. They can't move or jump from their place, usually between elevations, until I end a day.
This happens all the time (every 20 minutes at least) in coop mode (which is what I am currently playing): a character either a) gets stuck and stands there twitching, unable to more or jump away or b) will not react to any mouse or keyboard commands at all. A workaround is to save the game and reload. Takes forever (see below), but usually works.

Also, maybe this is my computer, but there are a lot of things that take too long. The NPCs planning their next moves in battle makes the fights last an eternity. Additionally, loading a game or an old save takes me minutes, not seconds. I have time to go pee or get a drink every time I reload a save. Really frustrating.

Yes, there are a number of places where there are long delays that really break the flow of the game:
  • During a dialog, it takes several seconds from the time the last word was said until the next dialog screen. My coop partner consistently sees dialog options (and die roll results) several seconds before I do, even though my PC is faster and I am hosting.
  • In combat, it takes seconds to move from one NPC to the next, before they even start planning.
  • Saving a game takes seconds, loading several minutes. This on SSD.

Also, saving is not reliable. I have had several cases where the game confirmed that it had performed a save but there was no save file to be reloaded. I now double-check important saves.

I find the rolls during conversations weird. When I mouse over the options, it tells me which stat will be rolled against and what my modifier is. That's great! However, it does not tell me what my stat is (e.g. what my chances will be). How come I can not let another party member say the line and make the roll? For example, the fighter could easily intimidate someone in a conversation with the wizard. Beside being how real-life conversations work, it would also allow other coop players to join the dialog in a natural way.

Final note about rolling: I do not need the dice animation, it just breaks the flow of the conversation by adding several seconds to the screen. Maybe make it an option?

After so much criticizing I think it is only fair to say that I am blown away by this diamond in the rough. We have spent hours each evening/night over the holidays playing coop. Sure, there are lots of frustrations and there are some balancing issues, but the overall experience is awesome and I am hooked. The story is engaging (so much better than DOS2) and I see myself replaying several times to try out different options and outcomes.

stranger
stranger
Torches in the toolbar disappear rather than having a main weapon and torch accessible in the toolbar. This makes using a torch SUPER annoying.

I feel really stupid for admitting this, but I have not yet managed to light a torch in this game. frown The only thing they appear good for is as a really bad club. confused

Page 35 of 41 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard