Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Not saying how though for all those that want to find out themself.

But to all that already did, are you as disappointed as I am?
So I had to reload three times, letting my character with the best stats tackle it and then I succeeded in all rolls.
And then ' nothing ' of ' impact ' happened. confused

Ironically and by sheer luck I tried to open a similar object with a similar mechanic right away.
And when my first roll failed I noticed that I have suddenly 3 more rolls to try!
So THAT IS what was "in" the book?
Inspiration points?

I use the german client and I think there is some form of bug in that client, preventing me to see when I gain inspiration points.
From the Illythid at the start to whatever else gives us these points, I never see it when I collect any.
But gotcha: We get one for a slightly bigger feat or something, around this theme.

Even so - to have just reroll chances as a reward for something that looked like it might allow one of our partymembers to either become a Lich or gain knowledge towards the same, I don't dig. :|
Of cou~rse its just EarlyAcess grin and the ultimate roll this book plays might still change, but... >exhales< ... inspiration points.
Oh well,
good enough for EA I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Generally I think a re-roll should always come with the needed value halfed.
Because currently it feels like when the first roll was sh**, the second one will be even sh**tier.
And when this is not the case, it feels like the game tries to establish an Alibi or something.

Currently it really feels like the game is set on if your first roll sucks, so will the next one's.

journeyman
journeyman
Isn't that book supposed to give you Speak with the dead? I may be wrong. Either way, I was hoping for something juicier myself.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
No - does not seem to be that way.
You mean the amulet I believe that we find in the crypt near the nautilouds crash side?
That one gives us "speaking with corpses" yeah.

Since this patch it seems this ability has some kind of cooldown though.
After some time the ability did not work anymore and it said I need to full rest before I can use it again. A little lame for a "purple item" then. Maybe the amulets quality-rating should to be reduced if the ability gets weaker.

journeyman
journeyman
I just checked and as far as I know the book gives you a permanent Speak with the dead if you pass all the skill checks, which I never did because with my luck at RNG there is simply no way I can pass three consecutive checks. I always give the book to Astarion who does indeed now have the ability to speak with the dead and if it doesn't come from the book and don't know where it's from since no other piece of equipment he's wearing grants that skill.

Last edited by Kajsentlyha; 16/12/20 08:55 PM.
stranger
stranger
Not sure if this should really be spoiler tagged?

Originally Posted by Kajsentlyha

That is indeed what it does. I was expecting something more, but it's a somewhat useful reward, especially if thinking longer term, post-EA. I imagine they might move certain artifacts around for full release though.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Really? -_-
Only that?
Speaking with corpses?

We have this spell with unlimited amount anyways.
Just give that Spell to a Mage - have it learned passively - and when all spellslots would be used up, rest & repeat.
Infinite loads of it or refillable loads, who cares - we have this spell anyway.

When I first found this book in an area that I actually missed on my first two or three playthroughs, I was overly excited and hoped for a bigger plot.
This is the most overprized plot for a completely normal ability that we already have, that I saw in a long time. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
Now that is just a downer.

You basically free an amulet slot. In a long game I wouldn't pass on a free spell. After EA it makes sense to stock up on inspiration and do it on your wisest character. May be on the one that doesn't normally cast spells if that thing takes a spell slot or something.

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 16/12/20 10:31 PM.
old hand
old hand
You only need to put on the amulet when you use it, though. So it doesn't really save on anything.

Last edited by Dexai; 17/12/20 08:15 AM.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
I hope this part is just unfinished. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Dexai
You only need to put on the amulet when you use it, though. So it doesn't really save on anything.

^
This.

We will probably say or think that a lot in the near future but never have I personally thought more " I hope this is just an EarylAccess placeholder. "
Because if not...
this entire cellar, the cool mirror riddle, all the flavour around the book, it will be the most exclusive filler-episode of all time.
And not a cool one.
Some things are not allowed to reward you with a glorified something you picked up in numerous others forms already.
That is emotional fraud.

I don't even care what exactly it will be in the end.
But definitely not something we already have.
This entire event was way too unique for that.

No one wants to raid the Hoard of a Dragon to truly and only find nothing but gold coins.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
If I can make a mage (gale or toon) learn a spell that allows to be free from the use of an object I do spent the money to learn the spell.

Not in this case, too much deep is my lack of fortune on dice rolls (by the way, I gave the book to Astarion but still had to make all the rolls, the I obviously failed).

Also artifacts can be sold for good money (and due to my obsession with magic armours and my high need of potions, healing ones and battle ones, not to talk the money for resurrection scrolls or to pay the fee to resurrect a toon, I need a lot of money).

But I do agree that all of the hype is somehow wasted (find the cellar, find the clues, fight the damn phase spiders and due matriarch etc etc.. ...).

journeyman
journeyman
If you give the book to Astarion you don't need to make the rolls. He will just acquire the skill. At least that's how it worked for me. If you give it to Gale I think he just eats it? Not sure... never tried.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I don't know. In the second attempt I give the book to Gale and then in the camp make him eat it. Also I don't get the Astarion thing.

Reading your answers I get the fact that I did something wrong at some point so I'm gonna redo this part (I want Astarion being the one to talk to dead ones, it's silly but I found a bit of irony of a kind of undead, like a vampire is, doing the deed laugh )

journeyman
journeyman
Just don't take control of Astarion to read the book. If you do that, you have to pass skill checks. Just give it to him after unlocking it. He will read it on his own without having to pass skill checks. Make sure Gale is not in the party when you unlock the book though, or you might not even get the option to give it to Astarion. Gale apparently takes precedence.... madness wink

I still wish it granted us something more interesting though... interesting and evil.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Oh, that was why. I toke control of Astarion. Well, sorry for the hungry mage but I'm gonna give the book to Astarion! (thanks for the hint! )

[Well let's hope in the full release they will change the reward for this quest]

Originally Posted by Dexai
A gazillion reloads once or a lot of clicks every time you want to speak with another pile of bones. The choice is obvious... Unless Gale can eat the book of course. You wouldn't keep Gale hungry if you know what's good for you.

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 18/12/20 02:27 AM.
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Did Gale pop in one of your runs btw.?
He never did in my own runs.
Interesting thing that happens to him if he dies though.

journeyman
journeyman
I starved him in one of my super evil runs, but I don't think whatever happens to him in that case has already been added to EA. He was pretty desperate, but nothing more. But I guess at some point he would just leave? The alternative would have very detrimental effects for everyone.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Gale's little problem becomes bothersome whenever he dies: if the party is not able to quickly finish a battle his corpse will start emanating a necrotic aura that will endager all the remaining companions bringing them to their demise (i have a lot of experience on this course of fate laugh )

@Choosen of KEk, Gale can eat the book. You just need to pack it in your back pack, go to the camp and talk with the mage. When he asks for an artifact you gave him the book, only further step is tha it needs to be activated.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
Gale's little problem becomes bothersome whenever he dies: if the party is not able to quickly finish a battle his corpse will start emanating a necrotic aura that will endager all the remaining companions bringing them to their demise

With good positioning even that can be used to your advantage. If he dies in a choke point (stairs, door, ladder, etc.) enemies need to go through to get to you, a dead Gale can be very helpful. I remember at least a couple of occasions where his death turned the tide of the battle in my favor. But I swear I never shot him down myself... well, maybe once... laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard