Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#745173 17/12/20 02:19 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I noticed as I went to see how far until I hit level 5 that I was already at the max level. Programming new level rules should be a pretty straight-forward job and it seems that if we can hit levels 5 or 6 with the experience available then levels 5 and 6 should be coded into the game ASAP. I really wanted to hit level 5 before taking on the Hag, but that is impossible now, even if I go take on gnolls for a bit first. I'm not looking to play the game to be challenged; life is challenging and so I play games as a form of escapism. Let me feel confident going into battles if I grind it out.

There are mods on nexus, although you would have to restart. They mess up your game in progress pretty bad. And yes, giving us level 5 for EA only makes sense. Larian can't seriously be planning to go live without us testing all those high level wizard spells.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
There are mods on nexus, although you would have to restart. They mess up your game in progress pretty bad. And yes, giving us level 5 for EA only makes sense. Larian can't seriously be planning to go live without us testing all those high level wizard spells.

High level spell is wish, stop time and etc.

Fireball is low level. And yes, this game despite being a game where you escape a spelljammer mindflayer ship and enter on underdark on ch 1(on bg2, underdark is ch 5), on gameplay this game is a "dungeons & kobolds", not "dungeons & dragons" game.

Lv 5e on 5e is when a Wizard START to get some interesting spells. Necromancers gain animate dead, Evokers gain fireball... On BG2, a necromancer only get animate dead at lv 9, the same lv which paladins start to get their spells on 2e.

veteran
veteran
I guess they'll first implement all classes before raising the level cap.
The level 5 mean lots of new things to implement and to balance.

At the moment the game isn't balanced at all and it would become way too easy if we can reach level 5.
I think they should first properly implement all classes and subclasses and give us a well balanced D&D experience for lvl 1-4 before trying to go further.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 17/12/20 07:42 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
on gameplay this game is a "dungeons & kobolds", not "dungeons & dragons" game.

Plenty of dragons so far. They are like flies in the tutorial, buzzing around. And then supposedly you even can take one down using some high level of barrelmancy. Instead of a barrel I want a proper fireball. We need to test spell sculpting and shit. What if the implementation is subpar???

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

I didn't think there were mods yet. It took a bit to find them because searching for Baldur's Gate 3 or bg3 only gave a small subset, but I think I found some here that will help, if this was installed correctly. Thanks.

Banned
Banned
A high lvl is overrated in order to nuke the living sh** ouf of Ethel.

Just get your hands on some smokepowder barrels.
Position yourself high up, throw a "Molotov" thingy at her and the rest throws C4, eh I mean the barrels until she croaks.
- Not Oilbarrels
- Not Nautiloid tanks
+ SMOKEPOWDER BARRELS

this green Fae monstergranny can't take it.
No one can.

Even Asmodeus pee's his pants if I bring out the C4.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
A high lvl is overrated in order to nuke the living sh** ouf of Ethel.

Just get your hands on some smokepowder barrels.
Position yourself high up, throw a "Molotov" thingy at her and the rest throws C4, eh I mean the barrels until she croaks.
- Not Oilbarrels
- Not Nautiloid tanks
+ SMOKEPOWDER BARRELS

this green Fae monstergranny can't take it.
No one can.

Even Asmodeus pee's his pants if I bring out the C4.

It has more to do with a previous playthrough I cannot continue because it was in 1.0 where I tried to fight the masked guys at level 3. I could not beat them and I don't feel secure that only one level was needed.

veteran
veteran
If achieving lvl5 breaks the whole balance of the game, then that's a pretty poorly designed game. It didn't work that way in the original. Like achieving 1 fireball per day as a wizard at lvl5 didn't allow you to go all murderfest and kill the living shit out of everything in town. The guards would warp in and lay you out cold! And anyhow you still had to find the scroll to buy and write the magic and such.

But even if it did unbalance the thing for grinders who want to backtrack and be uber death machines, who cares? At this point it'd be more important to bug crush wouldn't it? Figure out what really isn't working in the actual nuts and bolts, not just whether its balanced for their early encounters. There are other ways to scale it, rather than a hard ceiling lvl cap at 4, right at the point where things start to get interesting.

I agree with the OP, a dungeons and kobolds lvl cap probably just means we don't even get to see how busted everything actually is until after EA, which seems like not the best way to use an extended playtest. Fireball is for sure low lvl by the standards of this franchise, its mechanically much simpler than a lot of other spells. What are they going to do when 'the endgame' starts giving us 4th and 5th level spells to muck about with?

This thing feels like a really elaborate demo, more than the build access preview I thought we were going to get for the 60+ bones. Like its in a very incomplete state with a very long way to go. But I'm already struggling to motivate for a new toon. There's not a ton to differentiate the different classes in the limited spread we have to choose from, and you can hit the lvl4 cap very quickly without even grinding away. Just following the suggested story beats we're there way before we exhaust the current content.

I had great fun on my first playthrough, but then you cap out and its like 'oh I guess this is as far as I'm meant to go? I beat it! Time to return the disc to gamestop? Wait what!?!?' Like that's not what I want from Baldur's Gate III, that's some dark alliance nonsense. Anyway, I just find the 'can't do it for balance reasons' not very compelling. And 'can't do it because it isn't built yet' is even more disconcerting lol

I'm sure I'm impatient, but then maybe they shouldn't have gone live yet, if they didn't have enough player classes or spells etc to keep it exciting for more than a few replays? Or maybe I'm just not into Tieflings and Warlocks enough? They're like the half-orc and monks of this one for me. Just not my cup of coffee and content that might as well not have existed in BG2 for me, since I never touched em. But yeah, I'm already at the wall, despite wanting to continue with it. Hopefully another patch drops soon. It is the Saturnalia after all hehe

Last edited by Black_Elk; 18/12/20 06:51 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I guess they'll first implement all classes before raising the level cap.
The level 5 mean lots of new things to implement and to balance.

At the moment the game isn't balanced at all and it would become way too easy if we can reach level 5.
I think they should first properly implement all classes and subclasses and give us a well balanced D&D experience for lvl 1-4 before trying to go further.

Is a single player game.

Fun >>>> Balance.

And is not as if D&D was balanced in the first place.

Originally Posted by Black_Elk
If achieving lvl5 breaks the whole balance of the game, then that's a pretty poorly designed game.

This balance cultism is a reason which modern RPG's are AWFUL.

Seriously. You can start BG2 at lv 8 and old school games tends to have way stronger spells than 5e games.

I an not talking about only 2e games. Might & Magic 6~8, Arcanum, kotor 1/2(...) all of this games has way more powerful spells than BG3 will ever has even if they make it lasts until lv 20.

Wanna examples?

What about transform your enemy into hot blood grenades and OHK most enemies?

What about force storm?

What about fire rain on gothic? G2 + returning as a water mage

And I can list far more examples.

Why people here pretends that fireball is such a army slaying nuke?

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 18/12/20 01:15 AM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Don't forget that if you feel level 5 unbalances the game, then you literally can simply choose not to level up. Everyone gets what they want!

The point of playing an RPG is to reach some ridiculous level where you can sneeze and kill an army. Kill the balance. Also, make barrels do double damage, just for lolz and salt.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
Don't forget that if you feel level 5 unbalances the game, then you literally can simply choose not to level up. Everyone gets what they want!

Well said. Also, BG2 is far more popular than BG1 due the fact that BG2 is higher level and you fight dragons on BG2.

The point of playing an RPG is to reach some ridiculous level where you can sneeze and kill an army. Kill the balance. Also, make barrels do double damage, just for lolz and salt.

Nope. All of this spells which I posted, ENEMIES ALSO USE in every game. You are assuming that the PC will gonna be the unique high level creature capable of using mid level magic.

In fact, demons on might & magic VI are master of fire magic and they can cast rain of meteors with no concern about team damage.

On BG2, you encounter NPCs that can stop the time on ch 4, chapters before you can even get a scroll of stop time.

On Gothic 2 - RETURNING, when you become a circle 4 magician, you are expected to fight dragons capable ot casting circle 6 magic like the storm which I've posted. Hell, only by being near the ice dragon lair, you will gonna take cold damage constantly. Dragons also summon golems and has regeneration.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

People who say "hur dur, it will gonna break the game" really believe that this spells are PC's monopoly?

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 18/12/20 02:52 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Well, they have their reasons for putting this cap in, would love to see it get raised myself, but I'm sure it'll happen soon enough.

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
B
Banned
Banned
B
I agree with this. Balance is the death of fun

veteran
veteran
I would love to be able to level up a bit more - I love getting shining new things like spells and stuff. Maybe we will get anotehr levelup during EA? Would be nice.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I agree with you Victor but the game isn't so fun at the moment because of it's terrible combat balance.

I'm not one of those thinking a perfect balance is the best, but I'm one of those thinking that a strategy game that require the knowledge of 3 mechanics to beat it is not fun enough.

Balance the cheesy homebrew rules and then allow us to become more powerfull. Level 5 + the actual combats is not going to be fun at all.
(easy disengage, 2 backstab advantages/turn with your fighter, powerfull spells with easy highground advantage,...)

I guess we have to experience a good low level D&D game before being able to reach higher D&D levels.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/12/20 04:47 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bruh
I agree with this. Balance is the death of fun

Balance is direct opposite to variety & immersion/consistency.

There are trade offs when you make a game. For eg, picture a racing game. If you have only one car in the game, the game is 100% balanced. If the game tries to be consistent with IRL car performance and have anything from a "ford model T" to a modern Ferrari, the game just can't be balanced.

Same with a fantasy RPG. If you had only the option to play as a boring human fighter, specialized on sword fighting with not even a option to use a bow or a spear, the game would have 100% balance but would be boring like a JRPG. Baldur's Gate 2 was great exactly cuz it is extremely unbalanced.

The people are so spoiled by this "balance dogma" that I saw guys who tried to fight an ancient wryven at lv 3 on kingmaker, ignored all "visual warnings", like corpses on the path and ... Cried about "difficulty spikes".

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I don't believe the level cap has anything to do with balance. We are in EA and the higher levels aren't ready yet. Heck, levels 1-4 aren't even finished yet. There's still lots of spells to add and classes/subclasses to look forward to.

I too would like to see level 5 added to the EA when it's ready, but I think we have a ways to go before that's something we should worry about.

X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Anyone else think it was weird that the experience cap isn't immediate upon reaching level 4? I thought maybe it had been raised when I noticed my experience bar was half way through level 4, so I started to do some grinding but it stopped when I hit 2300 with 1500 left. Is that the same place everyone else's cap is? I didn't notice last patch, so I was wondering if the new non-combat XP counts differently towards it.

Link Copied to Clipboard