Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#745871 21/12/20 05:58 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The NPCs have varied clothing styles, but I'm a bit offput that I seem to be stuck with the same blah green robe for my wizard. I'd suggest not only making other designs available throughout gameplay, but allowing the selection of the desired style and colors in character creation. Even with the poor graphics available with the original 2 games of the series, you could at least pick colors of your armor/clothing.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Armor dying was allready sugested few times ...
I believe all armors deserve the same love ... for example i would love to dress my rogue to pitch black. :3

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
The NPCs have varied clothing styles, but I'm a bit offput that I seem to be stuck with the same blah green robe for my wizard. I'd suggest not only making other designs available throughout gameplay, but allowing the selection of the desired style and colors in character creation. Even with the poor graphics available with the original 2 games of the series, you could at least pick colors of your armor/clothing.

I'm completely behind this. I tend to hope it's just something they haven't implemented yet, given that it's less urgent. But if they hadn't thought of this, or weren't planning to do it, they totally should.

Given how much we can customise the appearance of our character, and how much our look changes with new armours and helmets, I very much hope that eventually we can :
- choose the look of our clothes at the start, and
- change the colour of our clothes later on. Or at least, mages (and bards, sorcerers, warlock ... whoever wants a mage robe) should be able to find new robe designs when looting.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Armor dying was allready sugested few times ...
I believe all armors deserve the same love ... for example i would love to dress my rogue to pitch black. :3

It's more than just the dying though - it's the very style of the clothing.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Oh you mean models ... my bad. :-/
I would pesume that not all wizzards will be forced to wear the same robe or coat, or whatever you wish to call it ... yet im not sure how much variable there will be. :-/ But i presume that moders will help us here. smile

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
It doesn't even necessarily have to be all robes - you can do magic in an explorer's outfit or a tavern outfit - just no armor (though I don't quite get how all armor is restrictive enough to prevent it - a chainmail breastplate shouldn't prevent any motion for somatic components). I'd like to add some personal flare.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Re: casting in armor, the base 5e ruleset lets you cast in armor so long as you have proficiency with it, it's just that Wizards and Sorcerers don't get any default armor proficiency (unless they burn a feat later on). IMO, it's just an extension of the general "if you're not proficient with an armor, you don't know how to use/move with it efficiently, so you're at a disadvantage as long as you're dealing with the unusual weight/sensations" with a side of 'spellcasting already involves juggling a whole bunch of physical, metaphysical, and mental processes, if you're already off-balance due to armor you don't know how to wear effectively, you probably can't keep all those factors going at the same time'.

Which is perhaps a very forgiving explanation/interpretation of a rule that ultimately boils down to 'well, arcane mages don't get armor, traditionally, so here's how we do that in this new ruleset', so. mileage may vary.

But def agree with opening up more appearance options, both picking 'theme colors' and (maybe) extra models for outfits.

Experienced lurker. Generally don't say much.
In the venn diagram of BG fans, DOS fans, and 5e fans, I hit all three but lean 5e.
L
addict
addict
L
Just came across this – seems Larian is outsourcing at least some of the armor and clothing designs to Russia:
[Linked Image from cdna.artstation.com]

Plenty more here: https://www.artstation.com/corbax

Last edited by LukasPrism; 22/12/20 12:19 AM.
veteran
veteran
For sure!

The more cool looking regular clothing the better. One thing I'll say for BG2 is that the default unarmored look for the avatar was pretty solid. The female human basic get up still looked like they could kick ass, even if it was kind of disco, those boots could still stomp! The human males with the sleeveless vest hehe, that was hella disco ball fury, no doubt. The Elves were more like, "Are you sure you've been invited to this red carpet cocktail" with their unarmored duds, but it still looked pretty good too.

And at least we could choose the colors! Just being able to change 2 colors of the thing (or 4 with Shadowkeeper) made you feel like you weren't missing out completely even as a dual mage, or kensai, or monk or whatever. I liked the look better than leather or plate in most cases. Though chainmail was the best look in that game for me, for pretty much everyone. That's part of what made the mithril and the elven chain so cool when you finally snapped it up.

I wish they'd put a lot more effort into making the regular clothing look cool, with badass options that you'd want to sport because it looks badass. And not just for reasons of AC. I'd like to see more ninjalike wushu style get ups too, that's more "Robes" to me in a high fantasy setting than like Friar Tuck.

Also, the lack of hoods, capes and cloaks is shameful. We should have a hooded look on offer at least. That's the most obvious, and an easy way to make a lackluster face model less of a factor. I wish they had face bandanas as well.
Not only is it timely, it just looks cool to be rogue or ranger with a bandana over the face. There are a thousand reasons why an adventurer would want to be able to do that.

They should really spend a lot of time with Head Slot as a separate thing. The Russian hat above is nice. More hats is good. But I bet this one is for an npc outfit as set. It's too bad. Medieval caps, hoods, turbans and even like the more tripoint pirate variety stuff could all fit the fearun vibe.

I wish they could take a page from successful MMOs and allow different looks to be hidden/made-visible, separate from what's currently equipped. Then you could still wear the cool clothes or slick armor, while still being able to use the properties of your best magically enchanted stuff. Since it's purely aesthetic anyway. Better to give players more control over the look they sport.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 22/12/20 03:49 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm all for more armor and clothing variation. I'm pretty sure, if Larian doesn't do it, the problem will be solved with mods like in any other rpg out there, but still - a bit more variety is always nice and appreciated. I'm ok with the padded armor look and the leather armor for the EA, but I would like some more varieties. And the mage clothing looks like a bathrobe imo.

Last edited by fylimar; 23/12/20 08:34 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
fylimar #746090 22/12/20 04:06 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fylimar
I'm all for mor armor and clothing variation. I'm pretty sure, if Larian doesn't do it, the problem will be solved with mods like in any otehr rpg out there, but still - a bit more variety is always nice and appreciated. I'm ok with the padded armor look and the leatehr armor for the EA, but I would like some more varieties. And the mage clothing looks like a bathrobe imo.

And do you believe that will work for wizards?

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Definitely agree. If there were alternatives to the boring green robe, maybe my drow (mage armor using) warlock wouldn't have had to beat up Gale to steal his swanky blue threads.

veteran
veteran
I'm all for mor armor and clothing variation. I'm pretty sure, if Larian doesn't do it, the problem will be solved with mods like in any otehr rpg out there, but still - a bit more variety is always nice and appreciated. I'm ok with the padded armor look and the leatehr armor for the EA, but I would like some more varieties. And the mage clothing looks like a bathrobe imo.

Will what work for wizards - bathrobes? I don't get your question in the context of what I wrote.

Last edited by fylimar; 23/12/20 08:35 AM.

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wizards should receive rainbow colored matching leather thong and corset sets. That will take care of the male models.

Female models should also receive matching stiletto boots of speed, and opera gloves of intelligence.

fylimar #746400 23/12/20 02:40 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

Will what work for wizards - bathrobes? I don't get your question in the context of what I wrote.

The padded and leather armor look.

veteran
veteran

The padded and leather armor look.

No, of course not. But you could get varied clothes for mages too

Doctor Who
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Its nice that NPCs get so many models ...
Would be so much better if they would also drop them. frown

I am defiantly in favor in spell-casters getting something to wear OTHER THAN ROBES... for clothing options. To Include enchanted varieties. I mean seriously whats wrong with pants, boots, and a shirt? Let the spell-casters have some style! Robes are hard to run in, and with the current max range of 18m of spells, they need to be able to run without picking up their skirt/robe to do so. And yes to dyes in the game! Let us make or purchase dye and dye the armor/clothing.

old hand
old hand
A variety of clothing and armor is always a good thing, I really hope for more diversity. As I find variety in the form of "You can change colors" or "You have 27 versions of shirt-pants-boots with some different textures" extremely lacking, I hope for robes without pants, robes with pants, tunics with pants, tunics without pants, different armor variants of the same AC with pants and without, and so on. There's no reason why a wizard could not wear a shirt or tunic with pants, while I would not wear uncomfortable pants under my long robe.

I'm even not sure wether I would play the game if there were not mods like Basket Full of Equipment currently.

Last edited by geala; 13/04/22 07:58 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I would just like to use this topic to repeat my wish for Original classes (Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Cleric, and Wizard) to get some own armors, that would better reflect their class identity ...

Im sory, but it really honestly bothers me that Druids have their own cool armor that we dont see anywhere else ...Sorcerers have their own supercool robe that is unique in game (at least so far) ... no other Barbarian is wearing even simmilar armor to what we get ...
But all original classes have some generic shit, we find in every single corpse through whole EA. :-/
And what is even worse, the only difference between Rogue and Ranger is collor of their sleeves. -_-

Link Copied to Clipboard