Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 49 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 48 49
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by YT-Yangbang

Calm down bro, I'm not trolling you. You really are so impatient and bothered about moving your 4 units into key positions on the field. Each character is not a (trooper name lvl x) that you move en mass.

One of things that make UI good or bad is: how quickly/how many clicks are required to do what I want to do.

Larian’s approach discourages controlling individual units. It inefficient, inaccurate and time consuming to do so, but as you mention possible to do. I am sure Larian has reason to sticking to their system, but what those reasons could be is beyond my comprehension. While I am glad to see Larian listening to feedback, I worry this is one of those things they won’t budge on (and by budge I mean, implement classic, reliable and tested RTS control scheme).

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A little gratuitous bump to stress the most serious issue the game has currently : its horrendous control scheme.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Yeah, its really quite painful and the main impediment to my being able to just enjoyably zone out and play for extended periods. Invariably after 30 minutes o\something in the control scheme will frustrate me and I log out of it.

I'd really like to see them address this in a serious way, with a real overhaul complete with some visual elements to distinguish it from the previous control scheme. Like come on guys, just break the Chain already. I know there's pain but...
Don't cha know? Don't cha know?

I'll hold on for one more day
maybe
lol

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Not like I needed convincing, but it was made very apparent for me yesterday after a long break, when I launched the game to test my new gaming PC and enjoy the increased performances... And 20 minutes into the session I noticed that I was genuinely annoyed at how moving my party around felt.

Last edited by Tuco; 22/12/20 07:09 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
No doubt

Seriously, though where is @dotmats when we need him?

like this BG3 music video practically writes itself...

You know, on account of already being written, in brilliant and exacting detail.
Will we never make it to white castle? Like for real?
Come on Larian

they hella took the high ground though right? Like pretty much the whole time lol

Last edited by Black_Elk; 22/12/20 07:23 PM.
addict
addict
@Black_Elk : I really did not have that reference, and would not have gotten it without you dropping the video. Good thing you didn't hold on for one more day. (Well, maybe you did. I'm so used to long rest in BG3 that I no longer see the difference between one day and 10 minutes ... )

stranger
stranger
I have to say I agree...

In one hand I'm happy we will have a ForgottenRealms rpg where in the combat system uses territorry advantages fially; in other hand a bit feels like the we deprived of the chance to use them with this caracter control.

Go for the eyes BOO! Go for the eyes...
apprentice
apprentice
I'm still really confused there's no keybind for jumping considering how often you do it, but there's a keybind for sneaking confused surely if these things can be keybound a mass unchain/rechain multiple selection of units for movement shouldn't be that wild of a suggestion.

formations as well would be great, instead of having characters move in formation at all times when combat is initiated you can just set a predetermined formation for characters to move into IMO, might seem a bit janky with everyone moving while initiative is rolling but it would alleviate a lot of annoyance that comes with say playing a wizard who's always gonna be on the frontline as player character as you presumably don't want lae'zel initiating all the dialogues that lead straight to combat just to avoid having your wizard be on the frontline when combat starts

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
@Black_Elk : I really did not have that reference, and would not have gotten it without you dropping the video. Good thing you didn't hold on for one more day. (Well, maybe you did. I'm so used to long rest in BG3 that I no longer see the difference between one day and 10 minutes ... )

@drath malorn : hehe thanks dude! I'm the same, like lets blink and stop time altogether, am I right?

It does get pretty exciting when they finally reach the beach though

My favorite part is when they "form a line" at the end there

Critical Hit lol

But yeah, moving in formation, pretty key

Still no word from Larian regarding this issue I guess?
I 'm not asking for a detailed roadmap how they are going to solve this. Just a word from them if this is something they are going to look in to, or if it's something they don't think needs fixing.

Y
Y
A roadmap would be nice.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Peranor
Well, right now they made rather clear that until January we aren't getting word about anything at all.

Still, it comes without saying that I'd love to hear them talk to acknowledge how almost universally disliked their control scheme is.
Even on other communities or watching random youtube videos of people playing the game I keep crossing comments of people who (rightfully) complain about it.

In fact, I just came here to check if there were new replies after reading sarcastic comments about how this control scheme sucks in an italian board I follow and I was browsing minutes ago.

Even on RPG Codex the thread about the game is filled of occasional comments of mockery about the "Larian toilet chain".

Last edited by Tuco; 23/12/20 06:56 PM.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Sharp
UI should be something you don't notice. If you notice it, there is a problem. There are a lot of elements to the UI in BG 3 which are like this, my biggest desire right now for this game is to have its UI overhauled, from the control scheme, to the hotbar, to the sorting options for the inventory.
Same. 100%.
This UI and control scheme is just DoS2, beaten into sort of working for a 5e CRPG. It's the single biggest thing that makes BG3 feel like a DoS2 mod and not a new game designed from the ground up as a 5e CRPG.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, I seriously hope they improve the movement schematics and such. It should be way easier to select/deselect and move across and switch and... whatever really. Very old games have this nailed down, and yet BG3 isn't there yet. Hope they solve it.

journeyman
journeyman
I just wanted to chime in to say that party selection/movement is the literal worst thing about this game. It makes me not want to play it. Everything about it is just so annoying.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Peranor
I 'm not asking for a detailed roadmap how they are going to solve this. Just a word from them if this is something they are going to look in to, or if it's something they don't think needs fixing.

It’s the holidays. I think we’ll see more activity once we get past New Years Day.

I also agree the chaining mechanic must go. There are already other methods that are smoother and easier available.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Larian, listen to our prayers.
Well, to mine at least.

journeyman
journeyman
+1

The control of the game feels generally.. janky. Clumsy. Not only the chain-group-movement but for me needing to go into the "casting stance" before you can jump/dash/sneak attack/etc feels just clumsy and unintuitive. I think BG3 and the DoS series are the only cRPGs I played that have this weird casting animation between clicking an ability and using it. These issues kind of kill replay value for me (And made the initial playthrough kind of a slog too)

N
N
+1 repost support - i think there are alot of other areas of feedback that larian should look at too as bg3 ea continues, but the way the current party/character controls function in game with chain-linking and constant companion movement around the currently selected character, etc. really can be frustrating to use and is only further exacerbated by some other in game controls/mechanics (like the camera or map terrain/layout). tbd if we get to run a party with 6 companions (like the og series), but i would think that the issues inherent using the current party movement controls would only be more glaring with a 6 member party, so i hope that we atleast get some communication from larian regarding their intentions here

+1 ea roadmap or more larian communication - its been stated in this thread and others on the forums, but i think it would benefit both larian and the community if we got some more timely, regular communication regarding the progress of ea from the devs/larian so to better coordinate feedback efforts towards those areas most viable for input/change before the game launches. obvs we just got thru the holiday/year end season, but i would hope the next update/patch is more substantive in this regard

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
Larian, listen to our prayers.
Well, to mine at least.
I think you would be interested in bringing your "votes" for or against some moments https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=750739#Post750739

Page 20 of 49 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard