Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Whatever else "Should have given this to Obsidian" has become, I thought there were some interesting points about what people like about the genre. For me it's the "collaborative narrative", that because it's all pre-made, causes CRPG makers to really put a lot of effort into games designed around the player's narrative agency.

In this vein a lot of the popular RPGs of the last two decades came up, I've played most of them, but I'd love to learn about ones I haven't played, and more than that I'd like to know what makes it a good RPG to you and what if anything makes it an interesting RPG to play. Is it an interesting world? Did they deal with the choice paradigm in a new or interesting way? Was it just a solid experience that you find lacking these days?

I'll start: "Choice of Robots" by "Choice of" games, it's a completely text-based game and like the name implies, is designed in the same style as a "choose your own" adventure, I've played a lot of these games but if I had to introduce any one of them to someone, this would be it.

Last edited by Sozz; 08/12/20 10:27 PM.
In all honesty, BG3 is shaping up to be the one. It has so many boxes checked:
- Turn based
- Interesting combat system, not too far behind XCOM 2 in its depth
- Animated cut-scenes with decent voiced story so far
- D&D based
- You can kill a bugbear by throwing a squirrel into him

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 08/12/20 10:34 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK

- You can kill a bugbear by throwing a squirrel into him

Needs to be on the back of the game box, honestly.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Griftlands. It can show itself as a CCG, but it's a RPG. And a bloody brilliant one. Good story, funny characters, a great talk-to-solve-problems system, battle. There's a demo available, so go for it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sozz

I'll start: "Choice of Robots" by "Choice of" games, it's a completely text-based game and like the name implies, is designed in the same style as a "choose your own" adventure, I've played a lot of these games but if I had to introduce any one of them to someone, this would be it.

omg seconding this and also adding the Lost Heir Trilogy. But in general there's a lot of gold among a lot of dross from the Choice of Games catalogue

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 09/12/20 09:56 AM.
- "Jolly Good Cakes and Ale" since you seem to like Choice of Games. It's the sequel to Tally Ho but that one didn't have a save system which was a bit of a pain for me. It can be played independently from Tally Ho and is the first part of a trilogy in the making. Awesome writing style and the setting is similar to the Jeeves books by P.G. Wodehouse and the tv series Jeeves and Wooster (Fry and Laurie).

- "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" - an RPG with both first and 3rd person perspective with the best dialogue system ever (combat is meh but the narrative makes it totally worth it). The game is dark and grim, definitely not for the faint of heart. Be sure to install the fanmade patch or you may stumble upon a gamebreaking bug halfway through.

- "Disco Elysium" - dialogue based RPG. The setting is not for everyone but it's good. I didn't get around to finishing it because I replaced my PC, will have to get back to it one of these days.

old hand
old hand
Just like any game, generally it has to hold my attention; I'll go with Wakfu for this post. My main was a Ecaflip and related to d&d was heavy on dicerolls / luck.

Wakfu is a french mmorpg, turn based and has hand-painted textures. Story wise was rubbish, if I remember correctly the translations were crap. Environment, classes, and combat were A+.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=344855153

two year old overview vid on the game

Ecaflip class overview

Played the game in 2014 and put in 453 hours, so it had me for a while.

Last edited by fallenj; 09/12/20 01:51 PM.
Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by Sozz

omg seconding this and also adding the Lost Heir Trilogy. But in general there's a lot of gold among a lot of dross from the Choice of Games catalogue
A lot a lot of dross but you get some real gems every so often. Considering the size of the catalogue I think someone ought to really make a 'recommend' list for newbies so they aren't turned off by the clunkers
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
- "Jolly Good Cakes and Ale" since you seem to like Choice of Games. It's the sequel to Tally Ho but that one didn't have a save system which was a bit of a pain for me. It can be played independently from Tally Ho and is the first part of a trilogy in the making. Awesome writing style and the setting is similar to the Jeeves books by P.G. Wodehouse and the tv series Jeeves and Wooster (Fry and Laurie).

- "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" - an RPG with both first and 3rd person perspective with the best dialogue system ever (combat is meh but the narrative makes it totally worth it). The game is dark and grim, definitely not for the faint of heart. Be sure to install the fanmade patch or you may stumble upon a gamebreaking bug halfway through.

- "Disco Elysium" - dialogue based RPG. The setting is not for everyone but it's good. I didn't get around to finishing it because I replaced my PC, will have to get back to it one of these days.
I loved Disco Elysium get on it! Vampire was fun, I played it pretty late but like Fallout used to be, there aren't a lot of games like it around, modern urban low fantasy. That alone is reason enough for me to play something. It's too bad that the sequel seems to be in 'development hell'. I haven't finished Jolly Good Cakes and Ale, but I'm so far liking it more than Tally Ho! which was a little too twee for my tastes.

Originally Posted by fallenj
Just like any game, generally it has to hold my attention; I'll go with Wakfu for this post. My main was a Ecaflip and related to d&d was heavy on dicerolls / luck.

Wakfu is a french mmorpg, turn based and has hand-painted textures. Story wise was rubbish, if I remember correctly the translations were crap. Environment, classes, and combat were A+.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=344855153

two year old overview vid on the game

Ecaflip class overview

Played the game in 2014 and put in 453 hours, so it had me for a while.
You know I've heard of and seen Wakfu around but I never knew it was an rpg, I'll check it out, thanks.

thanks for the input everyone smile

A
veteran
veteran
A
My personal favourite is and will always be Drakensang 2 . The River Of Time. It's mainly because i love that setting so much.
My second most loved setting is Eberron in DDO.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong but Drakensang is set in the Dark Eye, I haven't played it, but thanks to the Chains of Satinav adventure games, I am obsessed with that setting too. I'd love if more crpgs using its system and setting were made, big time.

and the system in Der Schwarze Auge does a lot with skills and attributes that I wish happened more in D&D.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Front Mission 3 on PSone, its an amazing jRPG/tactics: great characters, captivating story and pretty cool artstyle.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Age of decadence is my most loved rpg of the last 5 years. It's an indie title that has some amazing ideas. You aren't the chosen one, the world is deadly and the variety of paths you can take in the game are fantastic

Sozz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I loved Age of Decadence too, though I found that a lot of the third acts a little rushed. The world was so unique and interesting to explore, I hope they do more there.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard