Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Y
Y
Some fights are indeed readable to be bad situations. Such as most of the gobbo base encounters if you play yourself in a bad situation. Like walking right into the throne room and having a 4(or 5 with Halsin) vs 10 gobbos with Raz. Or like walking out of the base with the whole party of gobbos waiting to shoot you in the face. These are very obvious bad situation signs.

But yes the phase spiders and the gith knights battle is a complete off shoot that will require you to be just right for the situation, really really lucky, or be good at barrelmancery and cheese tactics.

So yes game needs to work on its region level guiding and locking. You shouldn't be able to proceed to certain areas so casually.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Kokonut
but it kill immersion and I always feel bad when I start cheesing

Remembers me of Darksouls PvP.

You want to be stylish and honorable.
And then you need to disconnect because of the pieces of shit invading your world.
From 10 fights, maybe one and a half guys are decent.
The rest is trash and does not deserve to be allowed in my world.

But in a game with AI as my enemy?
"Cheesing" is my middle name.
Or rather cheesing does not even exist.

Why do I have to fight in a way allowing an encounter to make the most of it's strenght?
Especially when my drool is all over that one extra Githyanki armor?
That breathing corpse attached to it should be removed from it as soon as possible.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That fight was definitely not appropriate for this level - especially since they were getting three attacks per go. On level 4, without cheating, I barely survived and that was only because I was able to take out enough of them early on and the remainders kept focusing on rekilling my custom character after Shadowheart downed her - and Laezel happened to have mistystep that allowed her to barely kill the stragglers. Then I had the issue with Gale killing us all with his dead body and we couldn't actually take the pouch from his heart.

veteran
veteran
You can see them from far away, they have a dragon and they are lv 5. You do not need to be a genius to find out that it is a bad idea to engage them with a lv3 char with bad equipment.

In the final game it will be possible to be lv5 at this point. Then you get a second attack or lv3 spells.
Then it will be relatively easy.

It is GOOD that you can run into things that are too hard for you. This way you can feel really good when you come back later and beat them.

PS: In BG1+2 you could also run into encounters that are too hard for you.
Just a reminder for those who complain that this game is too easy and too different from BG1+2.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Madscientist
You can see them from far away, they have a dragon and they are lv 5. You do not need to be a genius to find out that it is a bad idea to engage them with a lv3 char with bad equipment.

In the final game it will be possible to be lv5 at this point. Then you get a second attack or lv3 spells.
Then it will be relatively easy.

It is GOOD that you can run into things that are too hard for you. This way you can feel really good when you come back later and beat them.

PS: In BG1+2 you could also run into encounters that are too hard for you.
Just a reminder for those who complain that this game is too easy and too different from BG1+2.

It's not the encounter itself so much as the way the game leads you right into it. You're coming at it from the perspective of a seasoned player who understands the world and lore of Faerun, I'm thinking of somebody whose first encounter with the universe is this game who has no experience at all. That's not to say that the entire game should cater to them, but the narrative clearly leads you right into that fight when you're not ready for it.

Y
Y
And they don't present them as a possibly threat. Laezel the whole time is like, "yo those are my peeps, we're solid" and then poof, possible blind side ass kicking. Maybe if Larian can add more companion lines to chime in and be like "hey maybe we should play ball, because they look like they'll kick out teeth in".

You are right tho, a big scary red dragon does kind of give you a hint hint. But when the player approaches the scene, it's not at all consider a threating situation to you and your group. Larian had several instances of this too in DoS2. Just casual patches that could lead you to an ass kicking and forcing players to have to reload and reconsider their patches ways.

I think in Witcher, their are some good examples of this in where if you choose a bad dialog option. You don't fight the doomed fight, you just out right get a cutscene and die. I would much like that more then getting pitted in nearly impossible fights. I dont want to feel lucky in a impossible fight, I want to feel tested.

Originally Posted by YT-Yangbang
But yes the phase spiders and the gith knights battle is a complete off shoot that will require you to be just right for the situation, really really lucky, or be good at barrelmancery and cheese tactics.

Ironic how you left out 'or just being good and knowing your class and what it can do'.....
Why oh why do most always resort to the lame tired excuse of 'lucky,' or 'good at barrelmancy' or 'using cheese tactics and exploits'......?

Yeah, whatever...funny how some are wrecking those encounters with a single lone character....with no problems?
Example: --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXDwcSYLWY&t=33s<--

Go figure, huh?

Last edited by bullse; 25/12/20 09:23 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by bullse
Originally Posted by YT-Yangbang

Ironic how you left out 'or just being good and knowing your class and what it can do'.....
Why oh why do most always resort to the lame tired excuse of 'lucky,' or 'good at barrelmancy' or 'using cheese tactics and exploits'......?

Yeah, whatever...funny how some are wrecking those encounters with a single lone character....with no problems?
Example: --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXDwcSYLWY&t=33s<--

Go figure, huh?

Thanks for the perfect example how Larian messed up the combat system. The crazy Larian grenades and weapon abilities are barrelmancy too, not to mention how they litter the world with higher level items.

Last edited by Ixal; 25/12/20 09:30 PM.
Originally Posted by Ixal
Thanks for the perfect example how Larian messed up the combat system. Dipping and the crazy Larian grenades are barrelmancy too

And I can see that you utterly fail at viewing a simple video which should none of what you described, simply a player knowing his class, utilizing the items obtained in the game and WRECKING the Gith patrol, in ONE turn.
Hmm, learn to play maybe?

Last edited by bullse; 25/12/20 09:29 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Thanks for the perfect example how Larian messed up the combat system. Dipping and the crazy Larian grenades are barrelmancy too

And I can see that you utterly fail at viewing a simple video which should none of what you described, simply a player knowing his class, utilizing the items obtained in the game and WRECKING the Gith patrol, in ONE turn.

Items which so do not exist in D&D and are only there because Larian has no idea about D&D combat (Sword with Cleave) -> Barrelmancy. As are their grenades.
The Wyvern Poison is 1250 gold and should not be available at that lever, but again Larian fails.

Would be good if you managed to read some rules first (or let someone read them to you if you need) before pretending to know whats going on.

Last edited by Ixal; 25/12/20 09:37 PM.
Get
Good.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Get
Good.
And we have reached the end of your vocabulary....

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Bergtau
It's not the encounter itself so much as the way the game leads you right into it. You're coming at it from the perspective of a seasoned player who understands the world and lore of Faerun, I'm thinking of somebody whose first encounter with the universe is this game who has no experience at all. That's not to say that the entire game should cater to them, but the narrative clearly leads you right into that fight when you're not ready for it.

OH MY GOD WHO CARES REALLY?!

This is not really a " Buu huu huu I couldn't win ONE FIGHT even though I really, really wanted to " is it?
I do not even remember what level my group had the first time I walked up to this Gith bastards.
Mostly I remember how much I did not wanted to approach at all because the Dragons stats induced a fear effect all by itself. grin

I also remember that I first-tried this son's of bitches also.
Without barrels even. Maybe I got lucky, I dunno.

Yeah this battle is much harder as all the others at least on the surface.
But that is okay - because the Gith, as wretched as they are, are supposed to be Elite fighters.
They are trained like Spartans from an early age on, they have very good technology and gear and they respect nothing but constant vigilance.

There are other crushing encounters out there.

° Minotaur WWF wrestler!
° The ambush-Beholder
° The Landshark too can hit quite hard

And there are also so many fights that can be won even with the worst start-up of all.
So what is even the deal with ONE TOUGH FIGHT?
Please let the Giths be a tough battle.

Feels only that much more rewarding to crush them for it.

Y
Y

Lol that was the most cheese video I've ever seen in my life! That is the most solid video of someone who has save scummed that fight to record their perfect fight!

The whole point of this thread was that the game casually leads you to battles that will kick your ass. Getting gud is not stacking all the odds in your favor for an ambush, on an event that you don't know will result on an ambush. The player in the video knows exactly everything that goes down and just played to ambush a story event of the game. Of course if you plan it all out like that, you will have the advantage. But who in all the ever first playthroughs of this game has thought. "Oh its those gith dudes Laezel has been looking to talk to...better stack my shit up and ambush them".

Seriously dude you proved our point.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Bergtau
I think you ignored the actual problem as stated, which is the game is set up to strongly encourage you to do this fight before you'd be ready. They need to either have Lae'zel back off a bit with this shit or have her come in after you get more chances to level.
I never recall single situation when Lae'zel encourages you to fight them ... can you remind me?

There is a lot of signs that talking to them may not be exactly the best idea ... if you choose to ignore them, that is up to you. :-/ Aswell as bring whole your party with you, instead of prepare some backup "just in case" ...
And one more thing, for charisma based characters its quite easy even on level 3 (and since there is no stat-incerasing before level 4 ... therefore even on level 1) to talk out of this situation, if you try at least a bit.

But there certainly is at least one thing that Larian certainly should concider about this encounter ...
And its autosave right after dragon arives, just before Lae'zel leaves you. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
K
Kokonut Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
For me the Problem is that the game tells me I must go to that creche AS SOON AS POSSIBLE which basically means skip all sidequests and go there as fast as I can. Why should my character care about some Tieflings and Goblins etc. when he needs to remove that dangerous tadpole as soon as he can?
Why shouldn't he believe Laezel which has always spoken the thruth and seems to know best about mind flayers?
It just kills immersion when I am doing some nice chatting at the druid grove, listening to bards, exploring old ruins etc. while the game tells me every second counts if I won't be turned into a tentacle monster.

Last edited by Kokonut; 25/12/20 11:02 PM.
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Please dont dumb down the game for people who can't challenge themselves and use their brain power to solve problems.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I kinda cannot recal single thing that game tells you dont need to do as soon as possible. laugh
Adventurers have a tense life.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Labayu
Occasionally running into fights which aren't winnable at your current level is fun, but I'm sure there will be adjustable difficultly levels for those who disagree.

How is running into fights that aren't winnable no matter what you do fun? Like with the Matriarch spiders for example with there HP they are equal to a 12th level fighter and we're cut off at 4th level

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by gametester1
Please dont dumb down the game for people who can't challenge themselves and use their brain power to solve problems.

Let me guess you were able to kill the two matriarchs in the one area to get the amethyst? The two that have over 100 hp each not counting all the other spiders

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard