Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I have both games and to me its not even a contest. Solasta plays like an indie mobile phone game. Its ok for what it is, Im by no means hating on it.
Baldurs Gate 3 feels like a major AAA title. It looks beautiful, has an engaging storyline and interesting characters.

Mechanically Baldurs Gate 3 feels more intuitive. The UI is smoother and easier to grasp. The targeting is way better. On ranged targets BG3 will tell you if your target is blocked. If Solasta does this as well, I have yet to find it. But Il also admit I have hundreds of hours more invested in BG3 than Solasta.

But I suppose thats because BG3 grabbed me and Solasta really hasnt.

Ive heard Solasta is more true to D&D 5th edition. Thats cool, I dont really care. To me BG3 is far and away the better game.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by DarkRob316
I have both games and to me its not even a contest. Solasta plays like an indie mobile phone game. Its ok for what it is, Im by no means hating on it.
Baldurs Gate 3 feels like a major AAA title. It looks beautiful, has an engaging storyline and interesting characters.

Mechanically Baldurs Gate 3 feels more intuitive. The UI is smoother and easier to grasp. The targeting is way better. On ranged targets BG3 will tell you if your target is blocked. If Solasta does this as well, I have yet to find it. But Il also admit I have hundreds of hours more invested in BG3 than Solasta.

Ive heard Solasta is more true to D&D 5th edition. Thats cool, I dont really care. To me BG3 is far and away the better game.

No doubt BG3 is well polished and slick. They should with the size of their staff and the millions of dollars in resources. Solasta is bare bones.

Whether you like the UI and combat on both games is really determined by what you are familiar with. If you know 5E well, Solasta is better. Even the UI is better because it is intuitive to someone who knows how combat works in 5E. On the contrary, if you played DOS and not too familiar with 5E, I'm sure BG3 feels much more intuitive because it's set up similar to other CRPGs. And Solasta, when you are ready to attack, the system clearly shows what mobs are open for attack by drawing lines to your character. All the mobs. I've actually missed a few times in BG3 because I didn't have the cursor exactly on the monster because in BG3 you can target the ground next to the monster.

And by admitting you don't care about 5E is obvious why you like BG3 more. You want a graphically beautiful game with detailed characters and a compelling story (hopefully). That's where BG3 shines compared to Solasta; you're right it's not even close in this regard. Your opinion is perfectly acceptable and logical.

But I think Solasta is mechanically more sound but without the huge financial backing it will never look as beautiful as BG3.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
No doubt BG3 is well polished and slick. They should with the size of their staff and the millions of dollars in resources. Solasta is bare bones.

Whether you like the UI and combat on both games is really determined by what you are familiar with. If you know 5E well, Solasta is better. Even the UI is better because it is intuitive to someone who knows how combat works in 5E. On the contrary, if you played DOS and not too familiar with 5E, I'm sure BG3 feels much more intuitive because it's set up similar to other CRPGs. And Solasta, when you are ready to attack, the system clearly shows what mobs are open for attack by drawing lines to your character. All the mobs. I've actually missed a few times in BG3 because I didn't have the cursor exactly on the monster because in BG3 you can target the ground next to the monster.

And by admitting you don't care about 5E is obvious why you like BG3 more. You want a graphically beautiful game with detailed characters and a compelling story (hopefully). That's where BG3 shines compared to Solasta; you're right it's not even close in this regard. Your opinion is perfectly acceptable and logical.

But I think Solasta is mechanically more sound but without the huge financial backing it will never look as beautiful as BG3.

Myself, to butt in here, I find 5e to be dumbed down and overly simplistic - 3.5e has the details I'm looking for. People who care about rules but with disdain for 5e - probably also agree that the careful attention to detail are also not too important.

The gameplay preview on Solasta is doesn't seem too impressive to me - because I'm looking at a game where there are long, narrow pathways that somehow popped up in a graveyard? I'm thinking they just mastered the rules and didn't care about providing an actual game from seeing that. That seems more restrictive than BG3s web of paths.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
Myself, to butt in here, I find 5e to be dumbed down and overly simplistic - 3.5e has the details I'm looking for. People who care about rules but with disdain for 5e - probably also agree that the careful attention to detail are also not too important.

The gameplay preview on Solasta is doesn't seem too impressive to me - because I'm looking at a game where there are long, narrow pathways that somehow popped up in a graveyard? I'm thinking they just mastered the rules and didn't care about providing an actual game from seeing that. That seems more restrictive than BG3s web of paths.

Right, a lot of discussion here is personal opinion. I like 3.5 but its a bit bloated rule-wise. You like it. I like 5E better.

Solasta is definitely more restrictive in how you approach a situation. It is more linear. But Solasta is much more faithful to the 5E ruleset and the combat is much more balanced. If you want a game that emulates 5E more, Solasta is better. And we are comparing two radically different sized studios. Larian has hundreds of employees. Solasta I think is being developed by 17. The level of polish shows. If Solasta had hundreds and millions in the bank? Who knows what they could have made?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash

Right, a lot of discussion here is personal opinion. I like 3.5 but its a bit bloated rule-wise. You like it. I like 5E better.

Solasta is definitely more restrictive in how you approach a situation. It is more linear. But Solasta is much more faithful to the 5E ruleset and the combat is much more balanced. If you want a game that emulates 5E more, Solasta is better. And we are comparing two radically different sized studios. Larian has hundreds of employees. Solasta I think is being developed by 17. The level of polish shows. If Solasta had hundreds and millions in the bank? Who knows what they could have made?

I guess they could have made a true modern AAA D&D5 game smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/12/20 07:18 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by DarkRob316

Sorry to go off topic here, but I can't pass up the opportunity. You mentioned the lines from source to target in Solasta and I thought they might have something to do with targeting and being able to determine if line of sight is true or false, but I haven't been able to really decipher it.

Could you elaborate on how they work? It might help me gain a better understanding of it.
Like how do the lines appear if line of sight is true, and how do they appear if line of sight is false?

I do want to like Solasta, Ive just found it harder to decipher the visual cues in it compared with BG3.

apprentice
apprentice
Right now:
"If Solasta had hundreds and millions in the bank? Who knows what they could have made?"

Before:
"If Larian had hundreds and millions in the bank? Who knows what they could have made?"

Future:
"If [name any studio] had hundreds and millions in the bank? Who knows what they could have made?"

keep repeating this cycle

S
stranger
stranger
S
Competition only brings good things to customers, and we are really fortunate to be having both of these great games at the same time

B
Banned
Banned
B
The game isn’t outright bad. It’s just that larian don’t thrusts the whole DnD system and insists getting divinity stuff into it.

Granted that 5e is a highly simplified edition that is boring on character progression doesn’t help the game either.
There is not a single good 5e computer game on the market yet and larian wants to change that by merging divinity with DnD.

Horrible idea but this course is set in stone it seems after 3 patches. They will NOT rethink their design but instead throw candys like „toned down environment effects“ to quell the anger. But it won’t be a cure for the core sickness bg3 is suffering from.

apprentice
apprentice
BG3 is a good game and it keeps getting better and better, it just needs some tweaks right and left which is the point of having it in EA.
Solasta is better game for those who want more faithful 5e combat system

player 150hrs of bg3, 1hr of solasta..

S
veteran
veteran
S
lets see how solasta compares to original sin 1 then.
id wager that the game with the thought through system (os1) will do better then the one that autistically sticks to one of the worst tabletop DnD versions

K
stranger
stranger
K
If you want something more true to 3 DnD 3.5 try Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Its also much more similar to BG2 than BG3 is at the moment.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by Sordak
lets see how solasta compares to original sin 1 then.
id wager that the game with the thought through system (os1) will do better then the one that autistically sticks to one of the worst tabletop DnD versions

Original Sin 1 was Larian's 6th game, with a 950k kickstarter compared to Solasta's 243k.

Not defending Solasta here, I don't have it and I don't think the gameplay suits me (sounds too much like a dungon crawler. But if they implemented 5e combat properly they are definitely light years ahead in my book than BG3 that's among the worst balanced things I've seen. By the way I enjoyed DOS1 far more than DOS2 (when all those surfaces just went from novelty to annoying) and BG3.

Last edited by biomag; 27/12/20 09:24 AM.
veteran
veteran
My impression honestly hasn't changed all that much since the first week of the EA. The stuff they've patched in so far just hasn't been noticeable enough for me to "see" the difference so its a bit of a retread right now. Maybe the next patch will be more substantial and I'll get excited again.

One thing that's very hard to miss, is just how similar the banner and promo art for BG3 looks to their DOS2 art. I'm tired of seeing these same 5 Origin faces over and over again in literally all the splash art. It makes this feel like a game that's supposed to be about those specific Origin characters, without much in the way of broadening our horizons or playing to the "Who are You?"/choose-your-own-adventure vibe I associate with baldur's gate.

They want a Drew Struzan poster they can show off, I get it. Because right now its like a blockbuster film staring those 5 Origin characters and my PC isn't really involved. The artwork itself is cool, but that approach feels out of place for a BG game. It makes it look like a Marvel crossover comic or something. It's like if BG1 just had Imoen, Misc, Jaheira, Viconia and Edwin plastered all over the place, montaged in front of a giant ominous Sarevok. On the box cover, in the load screens, everywhere. Inverted, then used again, with close up details, or grouped together, but still using the same art.

I also wish they would use the Forgotten Realms and Dungeons & Dragons logos more prominently (I could care less about WotC) but those two actually feel like a part of the game's dna, and something that should be rep'd a bit harder just for the feels. I don't know who's on the art direction, but I think it needs to distinguish itself from their other IP instead of looking so much like the next chapter in Divinity. Not exactly the question being posed, but I think it does play a part somehow in my impression so far.

How much would it cost Larian to get the rights to re-republish some of the classic D&D fantasy art from the backcatalouge in these load screens?

I mean how cool would it be to load the game and suddenly see Elmore, or Trampier, or Parkinson, or Easely, or Brom flash up for half a minute? That would have been so badass! Just cut a deal for all the back issues of Dragon Magazine or something killer that pays proper homage to the legacy. Maybe that's too much nostaliga. But still the idea of a broader showcase, that is less about the 5 stars and more about the universe itself. Or how about more monsters (other than the Imp ), or some heroes we might never meet but who still look like champs hehe. For the illustrators and concept artists still coming up in the D&D circuit, or the ones specifically on their team already, who have sketchbooks with random heroes and creatures and weapons... why not let the load screens be the spot to show some stuff off? I just think it would be way cooler than reusing the same stuff over and over.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 27/12/20 01:56 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
It's a good game so far, but nothing brilliant or new. It treads old ground but does it well, that's all.

As for Solasta, it sound like a brand of cough medicine

veteran
veteran
Why should it be one or the other? If you like those kind of games, chances are, that you will play both.
I'm always on a lookout for good rpgs.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by adkfina
It's a good game so far, but nothing brilliant or new. It treads old ground but does it well, that's all.

As for Solasta, it sound like a brand of cough medicine

It sounds much more like an allergy medication or maybe an anti-depressant.

addict
addict
Larian should take the "Solasta has better combat" thing into consideration. 5e D&D combat is more suited for a D&D game than this DOS mashup that is still the most criticized aspect of the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kadajko
Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Competition is good.

I don't think there will be much competition the way things are currently progressing.
The ones who want Original Sin 3 will play BG3, the ones who want a D&D video game play Solasta and the people who want a Baldurs Gate successor will play Pathfinders Wrath of the Righteous.

And I will play and enjoy all three instead of comparing them and deciding which one is better.

This here. From what I have seen this far in the way each is developing, I will end up playing all three, and enjoying the different aspects of game play each brings to the table.

So far, Solasta provides nice bite size bits I can grab when I have an hour or two to play a couple of battles and progress a bit, while BG3 is for when I have a full afternoon or evening free to jump in for several hours. Pathfinder is somewhat of a cross between the two, with a city builder aspect added in for a change of pace. Witcher still fills my need for a first person, solo character build and PoE (regardless of the crap tossed at it here) presents a satisfying BG2 type game, with it's own well-developed world. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard