Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by DarkRob316
Could you elaborate on how they work? It might help me gain a better understanding of it.
Like how do the lines appear if line of sight is true, and how do they appear if line of sight is false?

I do want to like Solasta, Ive just found it harder to decipher the visual cues in it compared with BG3.

Connecting white lines in Solasta represents line of sight. If you don't have LoS, then the line is either broken or red from my experience.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Larian should take the "Solasta has better combat" thing into consideration. 5e D&D combat is more suited for a D&D game than this DOS mashup that is still the most criticized aspect of the game.

This is my only real complaint with BG3. Everything else, like what type of companions, I can tolerate. I actually don't mind the current ones too much. I'd just like the ability to customize their stats to suit my needs. I just want the DOS inspired combat either removed or toned down is all.

I mean, some changes, like the ranger is actually pretty good.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by fallenj
So another Solasta thread, amazing...
For a fanbase that presumably loves choice and consequences they certainly seem to do the same thing over and over.

stranger
stranger
I've only been playing for the past 2 days and so far I am enjoying. I finally got to the first village and am going to take my time talking to everyone. Aside from some bugs and glitches which is to be expected the game looks very promising. I never heard of Solasta but if it's dnd I'll check it out eventually.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Worm
So another Solasta thread, amazing...
For a fanbase that presumably loves choice and consequences they certainly seem to do the same thing over and over.
The fanbase also loves good combat.

apprentice
apprentice
From someone that has never played BG 1 & 2, Divinity, Dragon Age or whichever other game I saw people linking BG3 to, this game feels absolutely fantastic and promising. It's EA, of course, so there's always room for improvement but I gotta admit I haven't been this hooked in a video game since The Witcher 3. I'm really enjoying the writing and direction the story is going so far. Oh, and the characters - I haven't been this interested in fictional characters since I was what? 16? I love this feeling of hype. Not to be cheesy with 'omg this cured my depression' but damn I missed feeling this excited about anything.

My only complaints are about things that will probably be optimized or fixed in the full launch, such as failing a hit at 96% or enemies shooting through walls. I honestly like the cinematic aspect of the game; it's immersive. It's probably one of the reasons I'm so hooked.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Solasta may be faithful to the 5th ed rules but there is nothing there aside stats and numbers. The plot is basically generic half baked it is clear is not the focus of the game the graphic is cartoonish and everything moves in a grid that provide the ambients to feel too much geometric constructed.

Baldur's gate 3 all it need is be more faithful the the 5th edition rules to then become perfect.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Rieline
Solasta may be faithful to the 5th ed rules but there is nothing there aside stats and numbers. The plot is basically generic half baked it is clear is not the focus of the game the graphic is cartoonish and everything moves in a grid that provide the ambients to feel too much geometric constructed.

Baldur's gate 3 all it need is be more faithful the the 5th edition rules to then become perfect.
In adition please add more stuff... I think they said all PHB Domains for Cleric would be included and so far 3/7 domains from PHB is done. Right now I have a Light Domain Cleric. That said I want to create a Tempus domain Cleric.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/12/20 02:19 PM.
I knew the name of Baldur's Gate only by reputation having previously played other types of rpgs only on consoles, but I was intrigued by the franchise reputation and the ciematics that were released for this game.

I do like the game a lot and see the potential for many hours of play, particularly when more the game world eventually gets opened up, but the turn based mechanic has been a steep learning curve for me. Plus, adjusting to ongoing early access stuff like glitches and bugs is very peculiar to wade through, however beyond that the patches seem to break about as much as the things that they purport to correct? And that is vexing in the extreme!

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by DarkRob316
Could you elaborate on how they work? It might help me gain a better understanding of it.
Like how do the lines appear if line of sight is true, and how do they appear if line of sight is false?

I do want to like Solasta, Ive just found it harder to decipher the visual cues in it compared with BG3.

Connecting white lines in Solasta represents line of sight. If you don't have LoS, then the line is either broken or red from my experience.

Thank you. This seems to be how it works to me as well, now that I know what to look for. It's helping me enjoy the game alot more now.

apprentice
apprentice
Pay attention to the target info rectangle as well, because it will tell you the modifiers on your attack roll, such as half or 3/4 cover. Your cursor will also give you the basic info of whether you have advantage or not(green plus or red minus). Generally speaking I never really needed the line of sight lines because your cursor will give you the info if you hover over a target. If you have LOS it will show up as a sword or a bow depending on ranged or not, or it will show an x next to the weapon cursor if you don't and tell you why.

I recently bought Solasta because of all the posts I read on here. I'm quite happy that I did. The comments are not wrong about it. Solasta is a custom skin on the 5e framework, races, classes, customization are based on the world of Solasta, but the core mechanics are true to 5e. In turn Larian has made a gorgeous 5e skin with BG3 and wrapped it over a crippled DOS framework. The artwork is more polished, the story is right out of the forgotten realms, and the classes, subs, races, customization options etc are right out of 5e, but the whole thing is on a broken gameplay system that makes combat either obscenely difficult or trivial to the point of boredom. I really encourage people to give Solasta a try, despite the fact that it lacks the polish as well as class/race/multi-classing, etc.. I had a much more enjoyable time playing it than I ever did playing BG3. I want BG3 to succeed, I mean I paid for it, but right now if I had to chose based on fun I'd take Solasta.

apprentice
apprentice
For me? yes. In a year of RPGS that promised to be well.......rpgs (ahem Cyberpunk), atleast one is living up to the promise.

Last edited by Vallis; 30/12/20 04:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vallis
For me? yes. In a year of RPGS that promised to be well.......rpgs (ahem Cyberpunk), atleast one is living up to the promise.

At the moment BG3 is not living up its promises according to me (D&D game, BG game).

Or maybe I'm wrong and the promeses were just "a bit of D&D and BG's name".

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/12/20 11:52 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Solasta's design is just awful, meh.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyloth
Solasta's design is just awful, meh.

Solasta's devs are 17.
Stay focus, the comparison between the games is usualy related to combats.

BG3 is more beautifull, has a more interresting and depth story, better animation and visual effects, the full D&D5 licence for classes and subclasses, the FR etc... But combats in Solasta are way more D&D and strategic.

(And Solasta's UI is better, both for newcomers and old players + you have a better feeling of D&D campaign than in BG3)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/12/20 01:09 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Solasta's UI is better
Solasta's UI is ugly grey & blocky, generally takes up to much of the screen. The best thing Sol has IMO would be the adventure log.

veteran
veteran
Solasta's UI is better
Solasta's UI is ugly grey & blocky, generally takes up to much of the screen. The best thing Sol has IMO would be the adventure log.

Solasta's UI is WAY more intuitive and way more easy to understand whatever you like the colors or not.
This UI helps players to understand the game and it's rules.
Keep in mind that UI is not only what you see in combats. Every windows and tabs are a part of the UI.

You don't like the colors ? Neither am I.
The main utility of a UI is not to be beautifull.

About the size I'm not sure solasta's UI is bigger, but anyway de don't care, that's still not the point.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/12/20 04:36 PM.

old hand
old hand
Solasta's UI is better

Solasta's UI is WAY more intuitive and way more easy to understand whatever you like the colors or not.
Keep in mind that UI is not only what you see in combats. Every windows and tabs are a part of the UI.

About the size I'm not sure solasta's UI is bigger, but anyway de don't care, that's still not the point.

It's dumb easy to understand cause its made like a mobile game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by fallenj; 30/12/20 05:13 PM.
addict
addict
Solasta's UI is better

It's dumb easy to understand cause its made like a mobile game.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Well as response to that BG3's UI not only is harder to understand and displays less information but is also reminiscent of DOS2.

S
addict
addict
S
I agree the grid system is limiting. Even with my criticism of BG3, I like how I can move fairly freely.

But Solasta’s UI is better because it guides you through your choices in a turn. How spells are organized are also better. BG3 is like your typical MMO and it’s a mess.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard