Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#747069 26/12/20 01:59 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
So what is the current consensus on the game? Living up to the hype?
Have all the BG1/BG2 D^D fans left for Solasta?
My feelings are that the VERY cinematic nature of BG3 is hurting/slowing its development (clumsy/cringy dialogues, tons of dialogue graphic bugs,lacking atmosphere...) while Solasta is powering on update after update fleshing out the world and its system in a very convincing manner. Yea the dialogues aren't amazing <AAA> stuff, but the game inst completely relying on them like in BG3. The game-play is already super solid. Can the same be said for BG3?

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 26/12/20 02:01 PM.
old hand
old hand
So another Solasta thread, amazing...

veteran
veteran
I love the game so far! It is living up to the hype for me. smile I like the cinematic presentation. I think they should take however long they need to make the game and not rush it.

veteran
veteran
I love the game too. I don't know about hype, since there was a lot, I didn't like in BG and BG2 too, but I feel entertained.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Have they fixed mages being able to learn cleric spells?

Or jumping everywhere as a bonus action to disengage?

Or giving thieves an extra bonus action to attack with, making them attack better with dual wielding than a ranger or fighter.

These and a few more are pet peeves of mine, which is not just from a D&D standpoint, but from a "it doesn't make sense in any RPG" standpoint and I won't go back to the game unless they fix it.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I guess i agree with the OP... too much pretty... not enough crunchy... for me personally, well laid out (d&d)mechanics more directly correlates to replayability... and thats certainly not to say i dont like the look of the game, its pretty amazing!

My biggest hope is they fix the crunchy(mechanics) bits like jump/disengage and dont add too many of their own made up items that are well out of level appropriateness... still great potential... aim small/miss small... ;D

Last edited by Llev; 26/12/20 04:35 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Overall I think its a game that will be successful and rightfully so. Art is good. I expect cinematics to be fine as well once they get to the polishing stage - and origin characters replace the custom character in cinematics. Other kinks will probably fixed along the way, at least I don't see anyhting major that could affect the game's mass market success. It's a game that will resonate with the DOS crowd I guess even though there are D&D mechanics in there.

Now for me personally the game is a disappointment after the first couple of hours of hype.
D&D is in there, but there is a lot of Larianism at the core of the game design that broke completely the action economy of 5e. Yeah, it might work for those who don't care for D&D 5e, but to me its absolutely no improvement, I have the same feeling I had playing DOS2 and I loathed combat there.

Map and origin characters are another 2 points coming from DOS2 and I don't like either of them and the influence they have.

Encounter design - as a result from how they make maps and combat - I'm not impressed, I really think its poorly designed and heavily encourages metagaming.

Story and companions so far have not connected with me, but it might be a matter of time and just companions available.

Overall it has a tremendously gamey feeling, not at all reminding me of BG-styled games, but a lot more of DOS2. The game never fails to remind me its a game and you can exploit it - because actually they want you to as they have added so many things that you can exploit to be 'creative' with the result that you always are better off using Larian's ideas than sticking to D&D 5e options.

But this is personal taste. As I said before, I think this will be a critically acclaimed and well selling game. I doubt though that for the majority of BG-fans its what they are looking for and I don't think people who want a good D&D 5e experience in their game will be satisfied either. Might be Larian makes more concessions to them, but so far reducing fire seems the biggest one after messing up the balance completely.

Last edited by biomag; 26/12/20 05:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
According to me it's the same now than it was at the beginning : BG3 show me a huge potential but there are MANY things to change and rework.

At the moment it's probably a good Larian game but it's not a good D&D game, it's not a good BG game and it's not a good tactical TB game.

Guess what : I don't care playing a good Larian game.

Better Control/ increased party size/ more and better companions - banter/ less WTF items/better implementation of D&D rules and less cheesy custom rules/ less flashy visual effects / more BG UI-travel-rest system and ressource management is several points I'm really waiting for to say I really like the game.

At the moment it's just fun a few hours... Not a part of the legend.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/12/20 05:57 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Loving the game so far. Loving the game a lot more than the early access version of Cyberpunk 2077 that's for sure.

veteran
veteran
Competition is good.

At present Bg3 is prettier and Solasta has the better interpretation of the rules. Hopefully the end result will be a Solasta that's more BG3 like and BG3 that's more Solasta like.

With Patch 3 Larian showed they are willing to respond to feedback and that's a good thing. And I don't know if the recent hotfix allowing 6 member parties is actually a bug or test balloon. So, reasons to be optimistic.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Too much Larian DOS gameplay and "everything is special and over the top" storytelling, not enough D&D.
For me BG3 is a failure as I doubt Larian will remove the DOS content from the game.

Last edited by Ixal; 26/12/20 06:20 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Competition is good.

At present Bg3 is prettier and Solasta has the better interpretation of the rules. Hopefully the end result will be a Solasta that's more BG3 like and BG3 that's more Solasta like.

Well said.

addict
addict
Competition is good.

Fully agreed.

In addition, each game should have their priorities, and be good at meeting those. Interestingly, back in the days, Baldur's Gate had the better story and roleplay. Icewind Dale was the better dungeon crawler. There isn't a one-to-one correspondance with Baldur's Gate 3 and Solasta today, but both games don't aim for the same goal.

They don't exactly have equivalent positions though.

I don't think Tactical Adventures can do much to make Solasta prettier, given the constraints of a smaller team and smaller budget. I suppose that things like dialogues, avoiding combat, and perhaps multiple resolutions for quests (and possible permutations) are more within reach though. Larian Studios has a much bigger capacity, and the good ideas they could perhaps take from Solasta are not the more expensive ones, like video quality, but the cheaper ones, like adapting the 5E rules in video game form, etc. I'm giving these examples without having tried Solasta, it's more generic/theoretical examples.

So Larian has the better means to act on the good ideas of Tactical Adventures. But regardless, it is true that each studio can reap some benefits from the other having EA at the same time. Basically, they can gather feedback on some ideas without having to code them, provided that the other studio is trying them out.

I don't know if the fact that the audience is likely to overlap strongly is a helping factor. But I hope that most devs on both studios are playing the EA of the other on their work hours.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Love it. Just going to get better. It has issues but they will be addressed/fixed/whatever.

T
Banned
Banned
T
"Have all the BG1/BG2 D^D fans left for Solasta?"

I must say developers of Solasta could at one point do little marketing this is the first time ever that I have heard about Solasta. Because Solasta is Dungeons and Dragons (5th edition whatever) I am interested in it for sure.

I think it is a difficult to judge because they are not fully released yet. I think Solasta could add even more classes even with the ones know I know about example no Druid yet in plans even.

As for this BG3 vs Solasta I am neutral to it and want to play them both and since I have not played Solasta it is difficult for me to compare.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 26/12/20 10:15 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Love it so far. I play DnD by myself and I think they found a good (but not perfect) way to merge the tabletop style with a video game. Still some stuff needs to improve like the already mentioned metagaming and cheesing, the balance and of course the bugs.
But it gives me already quite a good DnD feeling. And by the way, metagaming also happens in the tabletop version...
The characters and story so far I really enjoy.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Competition is good.

I don't think there will be much competition the way things are currently progressing.
The ones who want Original Sin 3 will play BG3, the ones who want a D&D video game play Solasta and the people who want a Baldurs Gate successor will play Pathfinders Wrath of the Righteous.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ixal
Competition is good.

I don't think there will be much competition the way things are currently progressing.
The ones who want Original Sin 3 will play BG3, the ones who want a D&D video game play Solasta and the people who want a Baldurs Gate successor will play Pathfinders Wrath of the Righteous.

And I will play and enjoy all three instead of comparing them and deciding which one is better.

addict
addict
It certainly is a matter of opinion - 99.3 hours in and this game is excellent & only getting better - has the potential to be the best D&D game.
Like Kadajko I’ll enjoy them all eventually but if BG3 continues it’s current path plus responds to feedback then I’ll be playing it for a very long time.
Yes I hope Larian is watching the Cyberpunk fall from grace and continue to do there own thing - you can’t please everyone.
I don’t get why so many critics can’t just like the fact that there are potentially 3 great D&D games on the horizon and just be glad about it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I bought the game because of BG1 and BG2. I love the dialogue because it gives an immersive roleplaying situation which is difficult to pull off. I have issues with the narrow layout of the map here and wish they didn't use 5e, but the way you contrasted Solasta made it seem quite unappealing - it lacks that roleplaying atmosphere.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard