Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I hope as we go into new areas just once in a while, to keep it refreshing, I'd love to run into a group of enemies that would have been troublesome at levels 1, 2,3, 4 etc. but now I get to feel like I've become a total badass by crushing them later on. Obviously the game needs to be challenging and enemies should scale, all I'm saying is once in a while getting that sensation of how powerful we've become would also be nice and is missing from most modern RPGs. Like every now and then we should just be one shotting fools.

Last edited by Ankou; 22/12/20 02:52 AM.
Y
Y
How you're gonna one shot an enemy with a 1d8 and some additional modifiers...im not sure. I dont think enemies should scaled to be easy kills. But I do think the game fairly progresses the player at higher levels to deal more damage under certain circumstances. Like class level feats that provide more attacks and damage output. Is that what you mean?

L
addict
addict
L
Totally agree OP. Even if bosses have minions that are easy to clear out with fireballs etc. There’s no need for every enemy on the battlefield to be challenging.

addict
addict
I agree. There's a fine balance for Larian to find here.

On the one hand, I don't want to be bogged down by trash fights, that provide no challenge whatsoever, and it's just a matter of going through the motion. Does anyone remember the random packs of gnolls or xvarts in the BG1 maps when you're level 3-5 ?

On the other hand, I don't want to get the feeling that every combat encounter is a set piece, a challenging puzzle to solve. It means that all fights are interesting, but it also means the game loses in credibility.

So, once in a while, I'd be happy to hack through easy encounters.

Perhaps some occasional random encounter when trying to rest would be a good occasion for this ? It would be an easy fight, but if we are caught without our spells and running low on health, there might be a bit of tension and it might still give us a bit of thrill.

It should also be that we have a couple of these easy fights in normal encounters. I don't like the feeling that the whole world is scaling with us. Like "hey, welcome to Act 2, now every enemy is level 4-6, because you are".

veteran
veteran
I also totally agree.

"Trash mobs" are here for us to feel we're special/heroes.
"Bosses and hard encounter" are here to be challenging.

Both are necessary...

I'm actually trying a game with an increased party size and it leads a bit to such feelings. Hard encounter are still hard if you don't use all the cheesy Larian mechanics (5D6 poison coat, dipping, free disengage and backstab,...)... But "small" combats are way easier and faster => trash mobs.

Hope they'll increase this party size... There are a lot of advantages and this is one of them. This is another thread even if it's related to this one.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Banned
Banned
Most of my battles last about one or two turns.
Victory hides in the art of preperation.

veteran
veteran
I agree with the OP. There's a very fine line between tedious chore and challenge, and most often in this type of game what is supposedly meant to be a challenge is in reality just a tedious chore. Boosting the hitpoints and/or the immunities/defenses of enemies is a classic example of tedious chore battles rather than challenging battles.

I
old hand
old hand
I
The problem is that because of how long turn based combat takes its very tedious to have filler combat against weak enemies. So turn based games tend to make most encounters major.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Ixal
The problem is that because of how long turn based combat takes its very tedious to have filler combat against weak enemies. So turn based games tend to make most encounters major.

OOOOOOOOOOH, you know what BG3 still needs?

A damned auto-safe after you ended a fight.
It can be very annoying when you had a battle like for example that over the Grove... and then something shitty happens, you want to reload and -> suprise, surprise.
Would the tadpol just have devoured my brain before I had to go through that again.

I feel the battles are just right.
They just become unbearable with bad positioning.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I wouldn't mind some fast paced short combat every now and then to slightly drain your resources making those short rests useful. Honestly I felt there are already some of those as I usually went through several engaments without resting.

enthusiast
enthusiast

That isn't how it is supposed to work. I don't think this general philosophy has shifted much over time, but the 3.5e Dungeon Master's Guide states:

Originally Posted by 3.5e Dungeon Master's Guide
DIFFICULTY
Sometimes, the PCs encounter something that’s a pushover for
them. At other times, an encounter is too difficult, and they have
to run away. A well-constructed adventure has a variety of encounters
at several different levels of difficulty. Table 3–2: Encounter
Difficulty shows (in percentage terms) how many encounters of a
certain difficulty an adventure should have.

Easy: The PCs win handily with little threat to themselves. The
Encounter Level for the encounter is lower than the party level.
The group should be able to handle an almost limitless number of
these encounters.

Easy if Handled Properly: There’s a trick to this kind of encounter—
a trick the PCs must discover to have a good chance of victory.
Find and eliminate the evil cleric with greater invisibility first
so she stops bolstering the undead, and everything else about the
encounter becomes much easier. If not handled properly, this
kind of encounter becomes challenging or even very difficult.

Challenging: Most encounters seriously threaten at least one
member of the group in some way. These are challenging encounters,
about equal in Encounter Level to the party level. The average
adventuring group should be able to handle four challenging encounters
before they run low on spells, hit points, and other resources.
If an encounter doesn’t cost the PCs some significant portion
of their resources, it’s not challenging.

Very Difficult: One PC might very well die. The Encounter Level
is higher than the party level. This sort of encounter may be more
dangerous than an overpowering one, because it’s not immediately
obvious to the players that the PCs should flee.
Overpowering: The PCs should run. If they don’t, they will
almost certainly lose. The Encounter Level is five or more levels
higher than the party level.

Table 3–2: Encounter Difficulty
% of Total Encounter Description
10% Easy EL lower than party level
20% Easy if handled properly Special (see below)
50% Challenging EL equals that of party
15% Very difficult EL 1–4 higher than party level
5% Overpowering EL 5+ higher than party level

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
OOOOOOOOOOH, you know what BG3 still needs?

A damned auto-safe after you ended a fight.
It can be very annoying when you had a battle like for example that over the Grove... and then something shitty happens, you want to reload and -> suprise, surprise.
Would the tadpol just have devoured my brain before I had to go through that again.
Hope you writed it in feedback sugestions ... it would be shame to loose it here. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran

I absolutely don't agree with that.

TB RPG often have trash combats.
Wasteland in the exemple I have in mind.

Of course it's a little bit different for games like XCOM but you don't need to feel special/powerfull in such a setting.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/12/20 12:24 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
It seems like everyone on this forum is proactively trying to dumb down the game and make it simple and easy because they cant challenge themselves or have the brain power to solve problems. I imagine everyone on these forums are under 14 years old.

Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm not sure what part of reminding Larian about the tried and true D&D formula and what D&D is supposed to feel like constitutes trying to avoid challenge. As is clear from the excellent formula posted by VeronicaTash, it's like 15% of encounters that are easy, but they should still be there so the party can feel powerful without using resources. We're talking one shotting with cantrips and normal swings. In a very small percent. The rest includes challenging and extremely challenging encounters. So you're just constructing a strawman to feel better and be a supercilious troll, as far as I can tell.

By the way, for the record, I've beaten Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, and newer games like Dark Souls. Even in Dark Souls you encounter enemies you just trash. I could one shot a ton of ads with pyromancy in that game.

Last edited by Ankou; 26/12/20 06:58 AM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
A well designed gameplay, as any game designer will tell you, is not based on constantly going for thougher challenges, but to have ups and downs to strenghten the engagement and to have highs and lows. Not to mention how constantly just upping the difficulty level is more than a small hinderance for a well designed story... but I'm sure that's just because all people out there are pussies and sissies and not as though and smart as our friend here, who is a real gamer (btw - I'm so much in awe of people who are good at video games, these are the real heroes out there).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by biomag
A well designed gameplay, as any game designer will tell you, is not based on constantly going for thougher challenges, but to have ups and downs to strenghten the engagement and to have highs and lows. Not to mention how constantly just upping the difficulty level is more than a small hinderance for a well designed story... but I'm sure that's just because all people out there are pussies and sissies and not as though and smart as our friend here, who is a real gamer (btw - I'm so much in awe of people who are good at video games, these are the real heroes out there).
Nice. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by biomag

Couldn't have said it better

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
I just finished my first run-through of the early release. I found the battles either SUPER easy or CRAZY tough. In the tough ones, it often seemed the only solution was to find the highest spot in the area so you could actually hit things with your bow (I chose a Ranger to fill out the characters classes available). I'm not sure of the solution to this issue, but I would like a little more balance or more clever ways to win these battles.

Just my 2 coppers.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by Ankou
I hope as we go into new areas just once in a while, to keep it refreshing, I'd love to run into a group of enemies that would have been troublesome at levels 1, 2,3, 4 etc. but now I get to feel like I've become a total badass by crushing them later on. Obviously the game needs to be challenging and enemies should scale, all I'm saying is once in a while getting that sensation of how powerful we've become would also be nice and is missing from most modern RPGs. Like every now and then we should just be one shotting fools.

Being a lazy player who loves easy fights in my second run I reached level 4 quickly since then all the battles were easy wins. Only one encounter ended in a salughter of my party was when, due to an error in how I moved the party members when the seismic waves in the Underdark started, the bulette engaged.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard