Print Thread
Page 83 of 95 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 94 95
Y
Y
Its not DoS either

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ianthebea
D&D is turn based, RTWP is turn based behind the scenes but you need to obsessively pause every split second making it no different from turn based anyway if played out as strategically optimally as possible, as it stands larian's turn based system is way more D&D esque than RTWP ever managed to be IMO

RTWP doesn't really add anything other than creating the possibility for players to mess up micromanaging their party by not obsessively pausing, at least that's what it's been in my experience.

D&D's stories are build in TB for convenience but take place in real time.

Video games can do what D&D would have like to do but can't because it's a tabletop game.

That's what RTWP is : the perfect mix between Real Time and convenience and the only implementation of the rules that doesn't deny rounds.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/12/20 01:52 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I think what I miss about the Real Time approach is the playpace. It just felt more action oriented and faster. I think that also contributed to the sense of scale, since there were just more encounters out of necessity, because you blew through them faster. Basically the obsessive pausing only came into it with the boss-like fights, or in the opening salvo/ambush. There was something extremely satisfying though about issuing simultaneous commands, hitting the the spacebar, and then watching everyone light it up at once. Full TB while closer to the table, definitely makes for a different feel in that department. Its just a shame they couldn't find a way to include both in the same game. I wish I cruise around and dungeon crawl and handle the mini mobs in real time, and then switch to turn based on the fly if desired like for the more climactic story driven battles. But I don't think there are nearly enough encounters in this game to support a real time mode right now, and they would probably feel like it goes against their design to do an RTS type mode. But that was definitely part of BG, the rush

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Ianthebea
D&D is turn based, RTWP is turn based behind the scenes but you need to obsessively pause every split second making it no different from turn based anyway if played out as strategically optimally as possible, as it stands larian's turn based system is way more D&D esque than RTWP ever managed to be IMO

RTWP doesn't really add anything other than creating the possibility for players to mess up micromanaging their party by not obsessively pausing, at least that's what it's been in my experience.

D&D's stories are build in TB for convenience but take place in real time.

Video games can do what D&D would have like to do but can't because it's a tabletop game.

That's what RTWP is : the perfect mix between Real Time and convenience and the only implementation of the rules that doesn't deny rounds.
Exactly right.

I read D&D (FR) novels a lot. I don't see any combat in those novels involving taking turns. Everything is in real time. Tabletop D&D is TB because IT HAS TO BE TB. There is no other choice. But in a video game, you do have a choice. So the argument that just because tabletop D&D is TB a D&D video game must also be TB is illogical and ridiculous. All you TB fans, tell me you want TB because that's what you like. Perfectly valid argument. But don't tell me it has to be TB because tabletop blah blah.

Keep talking Kanisatha with all your "TB fans" nonsensical rhetoric.
Here are just a few painful facts that many of you 'Real Time fans' are purposely neglecting to mention or acknowledge:

2 Minos already wrecks full parties in turn based mode.
Bulette already wrecks full parties in turn based mode.
Spectator and Drow can wreck full parties in turn based mode.
The Duergers already wreck full parties in turn based mode.
The Hag wrecks full parties in turn based mode.
The Redcaps wreck full parties in turn based mode.
The Goblin Camp wrecks full parties in turn-based mode.
The 3 Orges can wreck full parties in turn based mode.
Droz can wreck full parties in turn based mode.
The phase spiders to include the Matriarch wrecks full parties in turn based mode.
The Harpies can wreck full parties in turn based mode.

Did I miss any other encounter of note?

Given the countless EA BG3 streams (not even remotely counting videos) I have watched and currently watch over the past few months, I can only imagine the utter wailing and gnashing of "OMFGWTF just happened!?!?" lamentations coming from all to most of you who desire Real Time play verses the already "OMFGWTF just happened!?!?" gasps and screams of the people playing turn-based mode I hear watching their streams of this game.

Last edited by bullse; 27/12/20 04:12 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
I think what I miss about the Real Time approach is the playpace. It just felt more action oriented and faster. I think that also contributed to the sense of scale, since there were just more encounters out of necessity, because you blew through them faster. Basically the obsessive pausing only came into it with the boss-like fights, or in the opening salvo/ambush. There was something extremely satisfying though about issuing simultaneous commands, hitting the the spacebar, and then watching everyone light it up at once. Full TB while closer to the table, definitely makes for a different feel in that department. Its just a shame they couldn't find a way to include both in the same game. I wish I cruise around and dungeon crawl and handle the mini mobs in real time, and then switch to turn based on the fly if desired like for the more climactic story driven battles. But I don't think there are nearly enough encounters in this game to support a real time mode right now, and they would probably feel like it goes against their design to do an RTS type mode. But that was definitely part of BG, the rush

+1

journeyman
journeyman
Crazy this is still going. If they made the game in the Infinity Engine I'd be all for it, but I hated the real time systems in PoE and Pathfinder so much and I felt like those games were really improved by giving a turn based mode.

Y
Y
Originally Posted by bullse
Here are just a few painful facts that many of you 'Real Time fans' are purposely neglecting to mention or acknowledge:

The phase spiders to include the Matriarch wrecks full parties in turn based mode.

Given the countless EA BG3 streams (not even remotely counting videos) I have watched and currently watch over the past few months, I can only imagine the utter wailing and gnashing of "OMFGWTF just happened!?!?" lamentations coming from all to most of you who desire Real Time play verses the already "OMFGWTF just happened!?!?" gasps and screams of the people playing turn-based mode I hear watching their streams of this game.
+1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by YT-Yangbang

+1

The balance is terrible and so is the difficulty.... So it has to be TB because it's easier ! We're lucky it's not RTWP !

This is probably the worst argument I read on this thread^^

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/12/20 01:15 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Balance is terrible, so is the difficulty = another excuse that rivals 'poor design' excuses I have read.

Strange how some of us that play and test 'lonewolf' characters (i.e.: one character and one character only) can wreck everything in the game, and do so, without any use of confirmed exploits, cheesing, etc.....simply by using the mechanics given in the intiative turn-based game, and yet, there are a whole load of you that run full parties, want real time mode, and get full party wrecked when a crew of goblins or gnolls sneeze in your parties direction.

Worst argument? Apparently, many things escape you especially the point I was making, that being, if your getting your butt handed to you in turn based combat, what makes your continued party wipes not anymore hilarious in a real time mode? In other words, your getting full party wiped in turn-based mode, what makes you think that your not going to continue to get hilariously full party wiped in a real time mode? LMAO. Einstein's parable of Quantum Insanity comes to mind here.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I am playing DDO a lot with a real time combat system. In my opinion Larian made a good compromise between both worlds.
If you use real time combat the player is much more dependent on the AI of the PCs because you can‘t react fast enough for 4 PCs in comparison to playing only a lone wolf.
AndI don‘t like pausing games every few seconds for combat mechanics. In fact I was expecting a turn based system knowing it from pen&paper.

veteran
veteran
Balance is terrible, so is the difficulty = another excuse that rivals 'poor design' excuses I have read.

Strange how some of us that play and test 'lonewolf' characters (i.e.: one character and one character only) can wreck everything in the game, and do so, without any use of confirmed exploits, cheesing, etc.....simply by using the mechanics given in the intiative turn-based game, and yet, there are a whole load of you that run full parties, want real time mode, and get full party wrecked when a crew of goblins or gnolls sneeze in your parties direction.

Worst argument? Apparently, many things escape you especially the point I was making, that being, if your getting your butt handed to you in turn based combat, what makes your continued party wipes not anymore hilarious in a real time mode? In other words, your getting full party wiped in turn-based mode, what makes you think that your not going to continue to get hilariously full party wiped in a real time mode? LMAO. Einstein's parable of Quantum Insanity comes to mind here.

Yeah so strange... You're probably so good at the game !

You are cheesing the rules... as everyone playing lone wolf. Every Larian mechanics cheese the D&D rules.

The terrible balance and difficulty is a fact.
It doesn't mean that the game is too hard or too easy... This game is both at the same time depending if you cheese D&D or not...

RTWP is not harder than TB... You just can't handle it (or you don't like it). Many TB games are harder than RTWP for those who can manage time during combats.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/12/20 01:12 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by YT-Yangbang

+1

The balance is terrible and so is the difficulty.... So it has to be TB because it's easier ! We're lucky it's not RTWP !

This is probably the worst argument I read on this thread^^
Hehe. Yeah I laughed out loud when I read his silly post. Incoherent and irrelevant nonsense that doesn't even make any sense.

veteran
veteran
RTWP is not harder than TB... You just can't handle it (or you don't like it). Many TB games are harder than RTWP for those who can manage time during combats.
Right on.

You are cheesing the rules... as everyone playing lone wolf. Every Larian mechanics cheese the D&D rules.

You don't know whether I am 'chessing the rules' or not cause 1) you to lazy to search Youtube for SOLO BG3 videos and see if someone is 'cheesing the rules' and 2) you got your hands full not getting party wiped in your EA BG3 turn-based encounters.

Apparently, a 'fact' these days is relative to user. If players are wrecking the game both with full party and solo, 'terrible balance and difficulty' becomes nothing more than an EXCUSE for playing poorly or just straight out sucking at the game.

Not a fact either that you need to get good?

610+ hours playing solo, lone characters and wrecking the game doing it with ONE SOLO CHARACTER while you are no doubt still struggling to overcome being party wiped by Gobbos and Gnolls......

It doesn't mean that the game is too hard or too easy... This game is both at the same time depending if you cheese D&D or not...

Here we go again with the 'cheese' excuse(s). Apparently, no one can be successful or beat this game unless one cheeses, huh?

Ahhh, now we get to the heart of the matter. You want RTWP because it is easier than turn-based mode. Got it. Sucks to be you, doesn't it?

Last edited by bullse; 28/12/20 06:25 PM.
veteran
veteran

You don't know whether I am 'chessing the rules' or not cause 1) you to lazy to search Youtube for SOLO BG3 videos and see if someone is 'cheesing the rules' and 2) you got your hands full not getting party wiped in your EA BG3 turn-based encounters.

Apparently, a 'fact' these days is relative to user. If players are wrecking the game both with full party and solo, 'terrible balance and difficulty' becomes nothing more than an EXCUSE for playing poorly or just straight out sucking at the game.

Not a fact either that you need to get good?

610+ hours playing solo, lone characters and wrecking the game doing it with ONE SOLO CHARACTER while you are no doubt still struggling to overcome being party wiped by Gobbos and Gnolls......

Here we go again with the 'cheese' excuse(s). Apparently, no one can be successful or beat this game unless one cheeses, huh?

Ahhh, now we get to the heart of the matter. You want RTWP because it is easier than turn-based mode. Got it. Sucks to be you, doesn't it?

Ok MR pretentious and condescending.
You're the best of the world !

Maybe you should read a bit more and play a bit less before trying to bring arguments in a discussion you don't understand.

Everyone playing lonewolf use a few cheesy Larian's custom mechanics wink

EDIT : then I think about it and I finally decide not to let you with your confusion.

I read another thread in which you talked about Sin Tee.

This.guy :
- use the lolz 5D6 poison
- drop the candle free to dip it's weapons when he's engaged
- use the backstab advantage, meaning a GWM feats way top OP at lvl 4.
- use the jump to easy disengage and backstab
- use the highground advantages
- use barrels
- cheat the hide
- etc...

That's fine, that's how the game work at the moment and how it comes from "hard" to "very easy"... But keep in mind that his video are named "early access".
Lots of these things will probably be reworked... Read feedbacks, that's what players asked for the sake of D&D and for the sake of GOOD combats.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/12/20 09:16 PM.

apprentice
apprentice

what a blow to the heart to see this video ..... they are too much the same!

Y
Y
Action points for all actions
All characters being casters
All characters literally being whatever they want
Physical and magical HP bars
Death rolls
Saving rolls
Attack rolls
Armor class values

Just every "Every adapted design of DnD 5e"

Alright but it does have the elemental environmental thingys and the barrelmancry thingys, so I guess it is pretty much DoS3 at that point.

The video is showing two top down games from the same company...ok

stranger
stranger
Wow this thread got buried.

Ps. I still don't want to play boring turn based combat instead of rtwp the way BG should be. I'll check back in a year to see if they have done anything useful to make the game fun.

Everyone playing lonewolf use a few cheesy Larian's custom mechanics wink

Everyone, huh?
Everyone is an absolute meaning and inferring that indeed EVERYONE, all 100% of people who play solo lonewolf style uses cheese, blah, blah, blah and everyone does not.
The irony here is that any solo player, whether they are using glitches, cheese, blah, blah, blah, is still beating the game whereas you are still trying to survive not being party wiped by the Windmill gobbos.
At any rate, schooling you is easier than toasting bread...with a toaster.

Learn. To. Play. And. Get. Good.

Last edited by bullse; 30/12/20 08:00 PM.
Page 83 of 95 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard