Page 1 of 2 1 2
#747460 28/12/20 02:08 AM
A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
I hate poison gas vents that pointlessly litter every dungeon, but I can live with it. Now the devs found a way to shove gas vents in the underdark too?!

Why?

How?

It is a pointless, uninteresting mechanic. It is not fun. Obstructing a gas vent with an object to get around it is an annoyance at best.

Please, devs, restrain your poison gas vent addiction.

adkfina #747464 28/12/20 02:21 AM
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Gas vents, or versions of ... are an integral style of trap that proves effective against several key targets.

- Animals
- Unperceptive people
- The living
- Those in a rush.

They are around to annoy you, stop you etc. Easy to construct, easy to bypass.

adkfina #747468 28/12/20 02:44 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Why? To make it harder and kill you, that's why. Literally the only reason I can conceive of given how traps are overused. Why put things somewhere for safekeeping and then make it so you are almost certain to die retrieving it yourself. It's not like there's an off switch or something.

A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
Why? To make it harder and kill you, that's why. Literally the only reason I can conceive of given how traps are overused. Why put things somewhere for safekeeping and then make it so you are almost certain to die retrieving it yourself. It's not like there's an off switch or something.

There weren't even any valuables there! It just laid awkwardly on top of stairs leading to an open area, and that was after a tough-ish fight with a beholder and a drow

I threw a corpse at the vent to plug it. It didn't work. I walked through it anyway and took 2 damage lmao

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by VeronicaTash

Well I hope that the beings that put the traps do remember where they are thus they know where to place a cover. The other people have to pass a perception check to identify the origin of the gas.

adkfina #747542 28/12/20 02:01 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I'm just waiting for the Avernus level where the whole map will be engulfed in infernal flames... it was so much fun in the other game whose name I can't remember...

So far my highlight of BG3 is the path to the hag... Nothing more interesting than carrying pointless stuff to throw it on invisible vents... beautifully fluent gameplay.

adkfina #747552 28/12/20 02:24 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
That's why I gather resistance to poison potions ^^

adkfina #747572 28/12/20 03:46 PM
Banned
Banned
I fail to see the appeal of such basic traps.

And when it ups to me I would give Rogue's a 100% chance to detect them.
Cause they are Rogues and traps like those are what they would look out for all the time.
Probably even mistaking a normal ventilation-system for a possible trap.

Warlocks have a 100% chance to detect them currently.
Just summon your Fiend over and over until one of it detect them.
The traps are just time consuming and hinder me from doing what I want to do. -> Continue to discover and adventure.
I can cope with it of course.
But I really wish my Rogue would have a 100% detection chance.

Safes me the time to "summon-scumming" the traps into visibility.

adkfina #747576 28/12/20 03:58 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Agreed. Especially these constant surface traps are nothing but a waste of time. They are not hard to deal with, but they eat up time cleaning up some digital space. If I would spend that time on cleaning my apartment the world would be a better place.

biomag #747590 28/12/20 05:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by biomag
If I would spend that time on cleaning my apartment the world would be a better place.
There is soooooooo many mean comentaries on my mind right now ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by biomag
If I would spend that time on cleaning my apartment the world would be a better place.
There is soooooooo many mean comentaries on my mind right now ...

Don't let me stop you laugh My lazyness deserves it laugh

adkfina #747730 29/12/20 11:41 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually, as a subterranean area, the Underdark could easily contain natural vents and fissures, that vent toxic gas - cave structures in the real world do that all the time. And where such natural vents appear, it would not be unreasonable for someone to modify or adapt such a structure to act as a defensive feature - no different than backing your house up against a cliff wall, hiding snares in trees or the ground, diverting a river or stream enough to create a moat, or planting a hedge of briars around your yard, or even refusing to clean your apartment in order to convince folks it's safer to rob the apartment next door.

adkfina #747751 29/12/20 01:59 PM
old hand
old hand
We need more vespen gase

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
We need more vespen gase
We demand them!

adkfina #747778 29/12/20 03:20 PM
Banned
Banned
I have heard there is a very serious man with a cool, toothbrush mustache in the Zhentarim who is very interested in purchasing gas. grin

Anfindel #748071 30/12/20 09:51 PM
A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Anfindel
or even refusing to clean your apartment in order to convince folks it's safer to rob the apartment next door.

Sir what is this

adkfina #748159 31/12/20 10:13 AM
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
This game (and Larian's design style in general) suffers from the "Mario Level" design problem. The environment has too much video game and not enough realistic world. D:OS was particularly egregious with this, with practically every pack of enemies having mysteriously chosen to spend their lives on patches of ice or slime, with barrels of oil as their only shelter, the poor blighters. BG3 is a little less blatant with that but still does not come close to representing a believable environment. There should be gas vents where it makes logical sense for there to be gas vents, not where the developers thought it would be interesting to inconvenience the player. Who exactly went to the trouble of installing entire grids of gas vents in the rock floor of the Underdark? Why not make it a natural phenomenon present in certain parts of that cavernous world, instead of literal man-made traps? It's just so cartoonish, which is a complaint I have about BG3 in general. It's a playable cartoon.

Clawfoot #748181 31/12/20 11:46 AM
A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Clawfoot
This game (and Larian's design style in general) suffers from the "Mario Level" design problem. The environment has too much video game and not enough realistic world. D:OS was particularly egregious with this, with practically every pack of enemies having mysteriously chosen to spend their lives on patches of ice or slime, with barrels of oil as their only shelter, the poor blighters. BG3 is a little less blatant with that but still does not come close to representing a believable environment. There should be gas vents where it makes logical sense for there to be gas vents, not where the developers thought it would be interesting to inconvenience the player. Who exactly went to the trouble of installing entire grids of gas vents in the rock floor of the Underdark? Why not make it a natural phenomenon present in certain parts of that cavernous world, instead of literal man-made traps? It's just so cartoonish, which is a complaint I have about BG3 in general. It's a playable cartoon.

Exactly. This is most obvious in the hag's lair. Why break the immersion and force me to play Mario? You could contrive a reason why there's gas vents (conveniently next to explosive flowers! Oops!) leading down to the "final boss", but in no way can you justify the Hag just waiting for me in an empty, large round room with a literal "damsel in distress" locked in a cage hanging over a bottomless pit. Cartoonish.

At least they worked around the barrel problem. Somewhat.

Last edited by adkfina; 31/12/20 11:46 AM.
adkfina #748202 31/12/20 12:46 PM
veteran
veteran
You people are awfull ...

Too many traps > immersion breaking.
Not enough traps > immersion breaking.
Wrong kind of traps > immersion breaking.
-_-

A
adkfina Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
You people are awfull ...

Too many traps > immersion breaking.
Not enough traps > immersion breaking.
Wrong kind of traps > immersion breaking.
-_-

Yes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard