Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Msciwoj
Dipping/coating your weapon takes a bonus action instead of an action. Also you can use fire to add 1d4 fire damage instead of poison. (Yes, Basic Poison is described in the PHB and explicitly says you can coat your weapon with it as an Action for additional 1d4 damage added to the attack.)

Brilliant! Adding now.

"Old time love song will die so swiftly.
You never trust me-
For a while it was nice, but it's time to say bye....

I'm cold, you're so cold-
You're so cold, you're so cold-
No-no-no, cold, you're so cold...."
S
stranger
stranger
S
- Rogue sneak attack damage. There's another thread about the calculation, but essentially it's 1d6 * number of dice, not Xd6. So you have sneak attack of 3d6, it rolls 1d6 and multiples the result by 3, rather than rolling 3d6. If this isn't changed, I assume this will also affect paladin smites once the paladin is added.
- Rogue sneak attack is also a separate action. In the pen and paper, you don't have to say "I sneak attack". It just gets automatically applied on your first hit of the round as long as you meet the requirements (finesse or ranged weapon; advantage or ally within 5 feet of the target).
- Also, can't dual wield with all one-handed light weapons. You should be able to dual wield a rapier and shortsword/dagger. Technically, you should be able to dual wield rapiers.

Last edited by silentbrad; 15/10/20 04:25 AM. Reason: addition
enthusiast
enthusiast
Too bad i can't coat my sword with bottled light/darkness yet but my magic missiles sure do have awful pathfinding.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Too bad i can't coat my sword with bottled light/darkness yet but my magic missiles sure do have awful pathfinding.

Maybe you will be able to coat your weapon in barrelmancy for act 2.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
enthusiast
enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tomoya

They should just let my wizard conjure them out of thin air.

journeyman
journeyman

That might be too much. They already can learn divine spells with scrolls.

Maybe a warlock pact.. with Larian Studios, devils of barrelmancy

Last edited by Tomoya; 15/10/20 04:51 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Wait till i can craft/combine my 1000 empty botles with the oil barrel. That'll show ya!

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 04:52 AM.
journeyman
journeyman

[quote=JDCrenton]Too bad i can't coat my sword with bottled light/darkness yet but my magic missiles sure do have awful pathfinding.

Just don't craft them ahead of time. They don't weight all that much but 1000 of them would add up. Just spam them out during combat as you need. Im sure combining will be left out of the action economy, wouldn't want to prevent players from being creative.

Last edited by Tomoya; 15/10/20 05:01 AM.

V
stranger
stranger
V
On Two Weapon Fighting

In PHB weapons are declared wielded, but no clarification is made that one hand is main and the other is off-hand.

This has a few implications.
Say a character rogue is holding a dagger and a club and fighting foes weak to bludgeoning. Upon declaring the attack action the player must... choose with which weapon to attack. After that attack hits or misses, the player can choose to use Two-Weapon Fighting to attack with the other, or use any other bonus action.

At level 5 when extra attack enters the mix things get interesting. Now Extra Attack allows you to use the attack action to attack with the same weapon twice, or each weapon once. Doing this opens the bonus action to use either weapon.

On Rogue > Sneak attack

Sneak attack in 5e is not an action but rather a rider on every attack. this is important as a thief dual wielding should be able to land a sneak attack on an attack made with the Two-Weapon Fighting bonus action if they were to miss with the Attack Action.

On Rogue > Thief > Fast Hands / Potion of speed / Haste?

Thief's should not have a second bonus action. this entirely changes the feel of the class. In D&D 5e they have another option to use their bonus action not a second one. The bonus action is highly valued and while fighters can get a second action (action surge) there are no ways to get a second bonus action.

On Rogue > Cunning Action / Hide
Hide is an action not a bonus action.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by CaryMiller09
. Grease is flammable (Have to test myself, Sage Advice, states it is not, might be an intentional buff / return to older rulings on Grease, also it might just make the spell that much more useful).

I can't show you in the rulebook where it says that grease is flammable, but I can show you on a fire extinguisher.

I'm not sure about 5e, but I think lantern oil can be set alight for 2d6 damage in 3e. The damage flammable surfaces do seems to be on par with that.

Last edited by ned7000; 30/10/20 05:11 AM. Reason: typo
old hand
old hand
I know, it's been said before, but.... arrrgh! I just wish they'd make it far more accurate to the core rules, their changes are screwing up so many things about balance, familiarity and fun. smirk

Mod edit: title changed to reflect new megathread status. Old title: "Please, please, please, make it more true to the core rules. Please."

Last edited by Sadurian; 10/03/21 05:58 AM.
Banned
Banned
The core rules of the most enigmatic fantasy universe that only reallifer play with their friends normally? wink

H
stranger
stranger
H
[color:#990000]They already said that they tried sticking to the core rules, but that it didn't work in a video game medium. Personally I think they're doing a great job of balancing the rules vs video game issue.[/color]

Last edited by HarmAssassin; 30/12/20 02:50 AM. Reason: Written in ink made from the blood of prev victims
apprentice
apprentice
Lol, they either lied or failed if they really tried to make it closer to the core rules and decided it didn't work. Solasta is another 5e CRPG and it nails the core rules that people keep asking Larian to change back to 5e, most notably the action economy of 5e. Solasta lacks the polish of BG3 but the tactical combat is far better and a hell of a lot more fun than BG3, IMO. If you have a chance you should check out a gameplay video of Solasta and see for yourself that the core 5e rules are easily implemented and entertaining. Hell they even included the 1 free action per round but they gave players a bit of headroom in that you can use the free action to swap a weapon set, so you can switch from sword and board to two hander as a free action, where you can't do that in table top.

L
L
Originally Posted by Khultak
Lol, they either lied or failed if they really tried to make it closer to the core rules and decided it didn't work.
Yeah, it seems they had some preconceptions about what works. I doubt they tried.

T
stranger
stranger
T
For those of us unfamiliar, can you be more specific about what has changed from the core ruleset?

M
M
I usually dont mind if videogame dev deviates from source material because some thing indeed could work better in videogame, but atm im not convinced and fun is relative. For me, fun in a tactical turn based game is the need to carefully position my party members so i dont get attack of opportunities, or my wizad is not surrounded (and i cannot just jump away), i need to use class-specific, diverse actions and combat stays tense and exciting on long term (bg3 has huge potential but some actions like hide and shove atm are an every-class, every-round spam), resource planning before the fight (maybe its my problem but if i can refill anytime with a long rest my mind simply doesnt care about this part and challenge is gone) and clever enemy AI behaviour (where it needs to be clever, i dont expect goblins do too smart tactics).
I think this game could benefit from alternative game rules modes to choose from, with small but meaningful changes to some of the core mechanics. They cannot satisfy everyone and yes there will be mods but this is a flagship game of dnd atm, they need to at least keep an eye on the hardcore RPG community's feedback. And i have the feeling they do (i believe they are a great company who really listens to the fanbase), so fingers crossed for a balance patch in the near future.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I don't understand why every class can hide and pick locks. I had the wrong character try to pick a lock (a cleric) on accident and they succeeded. This actually broke my immersion and is made no logical sense.

Last edited by Tav22; 30/12/20 09:03 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by HarmAssassin
They already said that they tried sticking to the core rules, but that it didn't work in a video game medium. Personally I think they're doing a great job of balancing the rules vs video game issue.

Solasta has already proven that the core rules can be WAY better implemented.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tav22
For those of us unfamiliar, can you be more specific about what has changed from the core ruleset?

- In D&D you just have an action, bonus actions are bvery specific features you have to use wisely. In other words in D&D bonus actions are bonus actions, not a second action.
- Jump and disengage have nothing to do in D&D. One is for jump, the other is to disengage. None of them are bonus actions.
- Dip doesn't exist. In the reality of the Forgotten Realms you can't dip your sword in the fire of a candle/torch/... To create a magical fire sword.
- shove, hide and disengage are actions (with a few exceptions)
- you can't eat during combats in D&D
- those that never use magic can't use magical Scrolls
- an attack from highground doesn't give an advantage.
- an attack on your opponent's back doesn't give an advantage if he know you're in its back
- you can choose when to use your reaction
- D&D have a cover mechanic
- D&D have a better variety of actions : shove to prone, help to have advantage, dodge, ready, administrer a potion,...
- In D&D every single goblins or monster doesn't have magical stuff (arrows, potions,...)
- In D&D you can usually play from 4 to 6 characters (many campaign are designed arround 5 if I'm not wrong)
- In D&D items aren't completely WTF (healing someone never coat poison on your target's weapons)
- Time exist in D&D, such as night and meteo... not in BG3

That's a short list..

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/12/20 12:20 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard