Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
UnkieD Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I think the game would provide a better DM experience if there was an option to hide skillchecks from dialogue. For example, if I know my character is good at deception or intimidation and I see a dialogue option marked as [deception] or [intimidation] I’d be really tempted to pick it, which is something a DM would not provide.

Obviously, I am not advocating from removing dialogue skillchecks from the game; far from it. I just think an option to hide the skillnames that govern the check would be nice.

G
addict
addict
G
Love this idea.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
You will always know what skills you have proficiency and modifiers in. However you will never know the enemies DC. Its fine that they tell you on the tooltip what your benefits are because you can always view this on your character sheet or remember it.

The issue is providing a sequestered list of limited options, that funnel you into choosing either "Deception or Persuasion" etc.

In a d&d setting you would attempt something first, then the DM would respond by saying make a "so and so" check. So in a sense, the DM is the one that has the power to choose what check is going to happen (albeit it fits with the situation) However this would be difficult to implement in game.

The only real way to make this situation better in my opinion is to offer more dialogue response options for you to choose and things to choose from, meaning that some options you may also benefit from your rolls but may not suit the situation so would be rolled at disadvantage. Leaving the onus on you to make the most fitting accurate choice that fits the situation. Which is not unrealistic to implement since its literally only a text response (UI thing) since your character does not speak.

G
addict
addict
G
The way that conversation dice rolls are implemented right now, I actually tend to forget what I have proficiency in. I almost never have a reason to look at my character sheet. When making skill checks during dialog, they hide away both my skill and the difficulty of the check and show me the target number on a d20. They also hide the second dice roll if you have advantage or disadvantage (I think? It's possible this just hasn't been implemented yet). I would love for all of this to change as follows:

During a dialog, hide the skills that correspond to the dialog options - let me say what I want to say and then tell me about the corresponding check I have to make to sell it.

During the check, show me the skill I'm checking and show me my bonuses to that skill - it's helpful to have a bold reminder of how good I am at a thing. In an actual tabletop game, I'm quite aware of my bonuses because I have to do all of the calculations on my own.

Simultaneously, don't tell me the DC for any given check - just roll the die and tell me what my total is. If I feel like I didn't do a good enough job, I can elect to use inspiration to reroll (I know that's not how it works in RAW, but that's how they're doing it here). Don't tell me if I pass or fail the check - just have whoever I'm talking to react accordingly.

It may just be that I like playing characters with significant weaknesses, but not passing a check shouldn't feel like failure - it's just the path the conversation took. The story progresses either way.

For me, the story in an RPG is never about the dice rolls; dice are just a way to move the story along.

Link Copied to Clipboard