Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
that's all i've got for this one - player characters and enemies both should have limited arrows - period

Even if arrows were craftable like they are say in DOS2, you could still run around with enough arrows to make it seem unlimited. Therefore, not seeing an issue here, at all.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
a quiver can only hold so many. weight limits would force you to use them wisely, enemies would would run out also- you'd have to change your tactics. I've played D&D pnp and solasta and running out happens to enemies and pcs at times if they're not used wisely - I don't think you're thinking about that at all. besides the fact that this is D&D (hopefully) and not an arcade hack & slash,,,,

G
addict
addict
G
I've played in PnP games where we track ammo and games where we don't. I understand the rationale behind it, but unless you're playing a wilderness survival game where resources are scarce, it mostly just feels tedious.

People don't tend to bother with things like sharpening and oiling swords or repairing armor in the game - we just assume that characters know how to maintain their gear and abstract away the boring part. I feel like ensuring that you have enough ammo for ranged weapons falls into that category unless there is something about getting enough ammo that is supposed to be a challenge.

From what we've seen of BG3 (especially with the portals), it doesn't seem like getting your hands on ammo would be even remotely difficult.

B
Banned
Banned
B
In a world where magic exists and it's accessible to relatively dumb people, I think the idea that a weapon can be anchanted to conjure simple unenchanted arrows is not too much of a stretch tbh.
Tracking arrows is tedious and annoying. If I must do it, let me carry 10thousand arrows with me. Oh you won't let me because weight limit...
Well I guess I'll just stick to magically appearing projectiles then...

M
M
Well they need to decide which direction they want to go. Personally im the type of person who really like to see gameplay elements like sharpening weapons, using oils, craft arrowheads, repair armor etc. in an RPG. But im probably in the minority here. i think if these are done well, these can be a really cool part of the game instead of being tedious (i think a cool way to design these is that these are necessary only for higher difficulties but not for normal dif, this way it can be an interesting challenge for replay or for players like me but by default it is not necessary for people who doesnt care about it)

B
Banned
Banned
B
I hope you are the minority on that because I absolutely despise crafting in games, especially if I have to farm ingredients for it.
BG2 crafting was fine, because it was tied to the major quests in the game, and you only needed 1 -3 items + 5000 gold.
Skyrim style crafting is tedious and I don't ever want to deal with it again.
PLease let the most powerful weapon in the game be the magical sword/mace/whatever I find in the hoard of the dragon I kill and not the bullshit longsword I can craft.

old hand
old hand
I don't really care if they abstract normal arrows away or not.

But they absolutely must allow magical arrows to be shot with normal attacks (and, where appropriate, special type of attacks) instead of each type of arrow having their own special actions.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
I believe i have seen somewhere around sugestion that special arrows should either be much cheaper, or be sold by stack of 10.
If that would be the case, personaly i would probably never again shooted regular arrow, so ... who gives a damn? laugh

Also, im not quite sure how would you like to manage this ...
I wonder what count of arrows would be apropriate ... 20 seem too little to any serious encounter, but on the other hand if you quadruple it, since every of your characters can drag his own stack of arrows, you have 80, wich on the contrary seem like a little too much, so we are back in "practicaly unlimited". :-/
Also, if you wish to limit arrows just by their weight, i believe our characters should be able to drag around 200 arrows (read as: 10 quivers) each, concidering they dont want to have anything else with them at the time ... and since you can simply "send all loot to camp" there is even no problem with that. So once aggain, practicaly unlimited. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/01/21 11:02 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Limiting ammo is tedious in PnP and in video games. BG3 is not a survival game, so why bother.

old hand
old hand
If not limited, which I would prefer, they should at least take up some weight or something. I know many people would hate this but I would love a survival mode option with exhaustion mechanics, food does not heal and gear, including arrows being really scarce. Also with smarter AI but they need to do that anyway.

veteran
veteran
I totally agree. Management is something I like in RPG and ammo management is something else to think about when you prepare your next journey.

But this is an unpopular opinion.
Players like having so powerfull magical bows/crossbows at the beginning of the game.

Originally Posted by Eugerome
Limiting ammo is tedious in PnP and in video games. BG3 is not a survival game, so why bother.

BG1/2, Solasta, Wasteland, XCOM,... aren't survival games...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/01/21 01:24 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Agreed!!!

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

My point is that if it isn't a core mechanic then why bother. I think that you should either have every arrow count (survival/horror) or not keep track.

If I can just craft/buy arrows then all that means is that I need to remember to talk to a vendor/craft every so often, which is tedious at best.

Hell, even Elder Scrolls game have limited ammo and I can't remember a time I ever ran out of them in those games.

S
addict
addict
S
It’s a bit tedious. As someone who wants this game to be more like 5e, I don’t mind unlimited arrows and thrown weapons.

old hand
old hand
Make this an optional mechanic perhaps, tied to a higher difficulty mode that includes survival stuff, like actually having to eat and drink and equipment durability. With this maybe bring back mending and allow us to use it on broken arrows in corpses (or craft them together) and use it on equipped items, for this mode. So those who actually like survival mechanics and limitations like limited arrows can enjoy it, while those who don't do not have to go through those mechanics.

B
Banned
Banned
B
I totally agree. Management is something I like in RPG and ammo management is something else to think about when you prepare your next journey.

But this is an unpopular opinion.
Players like having so powerfull magical bows/crossbows at the beginning of the game.

BG1&2 had weapons with the unlimited ammo property
It was so convenient that eveyrone went for those weapons as a default because dealing with ammo sucks.

Wait, you are complaining about +1 ranged weapons obtained in this game as being "powerful" but not +1/+2 hand weapons that are likewise obtained?
Yeah, okie dokie.
How's them there Windmill Gobbos coming along boss?

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
if everyone has limited arrows it does a couple of things: it helps from a strategic element where if you run out in the middle of a big fight, you either pull any unbroken from dead enemies or you go melee or magic. Enemies are limited also, which makes them switch tactics and can figure into your tactics also. It should be rare where someone has an unlimited quiver, and even then - maybe that's an item you can get from an enemy at high level. Again d&d and not Divinity so many of the special arrows shouldn't exist at all. And I don't need or want a survival game, didn't advocate for weapon sharpening or armor maintenance - I specifically said arrows. in addition, I don't think fast travel should exist outside of large towns, there could possibly be random encounters, exhaustion mechanics so that short rests and long rests have additional meaning, and short rest and long rest camps should happen where you are at the time like D&D....

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Ghost214
that's all i've got for this one - player characters and enemies both should have limited arrows - period

In WoW Vanilla the Hunter had to gather/produce Ammo for his weapon.
Guess why they got rid of it. No don't guess, I clarify right now
" I would like to play Hunter, but I have no motivation to farm Ammo. "

I hope history does not repeat itself yet again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard