Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29
addict
addict
I remember playing DOS2 with a friend, and she asks "well, go, what are you doing?" And I tell her, " Wait, I'm eating bread." That was fun.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
old hand
old hand
They've taken a lot of DOS stuff and put it in. I am not too pleased about it, but at least they've already changed some stuff, so hopefully they will change lots more =)

Last edited by andreasrylander; 03/01/21 06:18 PM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Food healing is just weird, especially DURING combat. Absolutely ludicrous. And clerics, even in 5th edition, are still beastmode man. Particularly once you get spells like Spirit Guardians and sick shit like that.
Spirit Guardian is not included to this game.

Well I have a question for you Dungeons Dragons 5th edition GURUS.
I did not find answer to this in google.

How does saving throws vs spells work in:
A. Dungeons Dragons 5th edition Pen and Paper?
B. Baldurs Gate 3?

Here is what I assume.
The DC to roll is:
10+ATTRIBUTE example WIS for Clerics bonus+ Spell level as cast you can cast also lower level spell as high level spell slot.

That is the resistance roll regardless if it is say mental attack Hold Person or say some kind of direct damage
and they roll to resist.

What I do NOT understand is what + do the resistance roller get? In DD older version there was a table + according to level
but I have not found any info such exist in DD5th.

The attribute + they do get to the resistance roll I guess WISDOM bonus + to mental attacks like Charm Person or Hold Person...
and in case of direct damage it usually says example do a Dexterity bonus or perhaps even Constitution bonus.

Do the resistance roll get any other + in addition to attribute bonus according to say a table that was according to level as it was in older Dungeons Dragons editions?

Last edited by Terminator2020; 04/01/21 08:26 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
In 5e RAW: Spell save DC is 8 + proficiency bonus + spellcasting modifier (WIS modifier, for clerics)

It is not affected by the level of the spell or spell slot used.

The save that the target rolls depends on the spell. Hold Person has them make a WIS save, for example. This means that the target rolls a d20, adds their WIS modifier and, if they have proficiency in WIS saves, adds their proficiency bonus. If it's equal to or higher than the caster's spell save DC, they pass the save (which might mean they shrug off the effects or take half damage or something; it depends on the spell)

old hand
old hand
And different classes have proficiency in different attribute saving throws. Fighters for example are proficient in STR and CON saving throws, while Rogues are proficient in DEX and INT saving throws.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Food healing is just weird, especially DURING combat. Absolutely ludicrous. And clerics, even in 5th edition, are still beastmode man. Particularly once you get spells like Spirit Guardians and sick shit like that.
Spirit Guardian is not included to this game.

Well I have a question for you Dungeons Dragons 5th edition GURUS.
I did not find answer to this in google.

How does saving throws vs spells work in:
A. Dungeons Dragons 5th edition Pen and Paper?
B. Baldurs Gate 3?

Here is what I assume.
The DC to roll is:
10+ATTRIBUTE example WIS for Clerics bonus+ Spell level as cast you can cast also lower level spell as high level spell slot.

That is the resistance roll regardless if it is say mental attack Hold Person or say some kind of direct damage
and they roll to resist.

What I do NOT understand is what + do the resistance roller get? In DD older version there was a table + according to level
but I have not found any info such exist in DD5th.

The attribute + they do get to the resistance roll I guess WISDOM bonus + to mental attacks like Charm Person or Hold Person...
and in case of direct damage it usually says example do a Dexterity bonus or perhaps even Constitution bonus.

Do the resistance roll get any other + in addition to attribute bonus according to say a table that was according to level as it was in older Dungeons Dragons editions?

Spirit Guardians is a level 3 spell, so we wouldn't know whether or not it's implemented yet as a cleric only gets that spell at level 5 and the EA doesn't have level 5 yet.
The other questions you had were answered by the others.

Last edited by andreasrylander; 04/01/21 01:24 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I didn't even know you could eat food during combat wink

As for clerics, as long as you can maintain concentration, then spirit guardians is great *and* you can upcast it to make it even better. I use it quite a bit in table top and my cleric can definitely hold his own in a fight - 5E seems about what I'd expect for a cleric (3.5E and PF they def became quite a bit more powerful). I hope they include many more 5E domains than the few that are in now. I was really hoping that EA would include level 5, just so we could see how more powerful class abilituies work, but we'll have to wait.

old hand
old hand
Yeah tabletop I am playing a dwarven tempest cleric and I feel like I am OP, to be honest. Spiritual weapon, spirit guardians, destructive wrath, wrath of the storm... it's just insane.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by booboo

I didn’t either until I played my second time through when I started messing around. It never occurred to me such an absurd mechanic would be in place.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

I didn’t either until I played my second time through when I started messing around. It never occurred to me such an absurd mechanic would be in place.

Yeah, I never even tried it myself, just heard about it and flat out refuse to do it since it's so stupid.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by spectralhunter

Yeah, I never even tried it myself, just heard about it and flat out refuse to do it since it's so stupid.

Correct but this is where they are looking to pander to a wider audience. I skip a number of Larian style rules and play the way Im comfortable with. I think stuff like the wyvern poisons are to bring some balance to tougher encounters with low level characters i.e Underdark ...

I dont disagree with the OP I just think that Larian will look to tweak the D&D rules where the most of the feedback comes in if it isnt either to expensive to implement, or outside of Larians belief on how certain stuff should be implemented in a video game - we are still in early days yet - much to come I think.

Last edited by Tarorn; 05/01/21 02:04 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
Pander to a wider audience? Is there a large contingent of folks out there saying things like "You know, I really wasn't too interested in this game, but I turned right around when I heard that you could eat an entire wheel of cheese in the middle of a battle."?

old hand
old hand
I think it is more like a lot of people want things to be always easy mode and don't want to have to do any tactical thinking in games nowadays. These are the people who would happily buy the game if food heals but would hate it if they had to actually think when to use healing spells or potions since these are more limited.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by grysqrl
Pander to a wider audience? Is there a large contingent of folks out there saying things like "You know, I really wasn't too interested in this game, but I turned right around when I heard that you could eat an entire wheel of cheese in the middle of a battle."?

Hahaha! Oh god, that had me laughing out loud. laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zarna
I think it is more like a lot of people want things to be always easy mode and don't want to have to do any tactical thinking in games nowadays. These are the people who would happily buy the game if food heals but would hate it if they had to actually think when to use healing spells or potions since these are more limited.

I fully agree with you. There is one post on here that thinks we should start at Level 7 or 10 I think it was and I'm like why? True some fights take a little bit of thinking and planning out but they are not completely overpowered. Except for the Matriarch spiders that are around level 10 or 12 that continues to kick my ass' Or them Mephits in the swamp that keep multiplying like rabbits

old hand
old hand
Yeah but many of the changes are not even making things "easier", for instance there is no Dodge action right now, something that would greatly improve survivability in some cases, and rogues' expertise and such would help a lot too (easy to implement aswell, right?). It's just weird and bad how many things that didn't need to be changed, have still been changed.

addict
addict

some people want things easy.....some people want Ironman or permanent death mode...most want it somewhere inbetween....

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Tarorn

some people want things easy.....some people want Ironman or permanent death mode...most want it somewhere inbetween....

That's what difficulty settings are for. Make things easier/harder by decreasing the difficulty of challenges or adjusting the availability of useful items. Eating food to heal is silly at any difficulty and eating food to heal in the middle of battle is just ridiculous.

veteran
veteran
Yeah but many of the changes are not even making things "easier", for instance there is no Dodge action right now, something that would greatly improve survivability in some cases, and rogues' expertise and such would help a lot too (easy to implement aswell, right?). It's just weird and bad how many things that didn't need to be changed, have still been changed.

Exactly dodge, ready attack, reactions . . . Personally I liked the Minotaur fight as it stands but lots of people complain about it but I suspect those complaints would diminish if "ready attack" were an option.

"Okay I know you are going to charge at me but I've got my spear at the ready so lets see how well your 'charge blindly on' strategy works now"

Edit: I forgot that delay didn't make it into 5th.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 05/01/21 07:42 PM.
old hand
old hand
Yeah Ready action seems to be implemented, more or less, in Solasta too... and Dodge would help the crap outta mages and squishies in lots of fights! And pleeease make reactions selectable like in Solasta!!!!

Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard