old hand
old hand
Cows are sacred for a reason. #Harmoony

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Baldurs Gate has a Speak with Animals spell. If you use it, it becomes clear that animals have intelligence, they have their own opinions, feelings, dreams. This is already a double reason to fight against animal abuse.

Can we eat intelligent beings?
How then will our hero be different from the goblins who roast the dwarf at the stake?

The game has already implemented a vegetarianism system: in order to replenish health, the player has the freedom of choice: he can eat meat, or he can eat fruits and drink health potions. So everyone can answer this question on their own

But is it possible to do a quest to rescue the bulls from the tiefling camp in order for them to find freedom? And escape the terrible fate of being eaten.

Posts like this are why we need more content, people are losing rational thought through boredom.

However I am bored enough to answer: The second you let a domestic animal lose in a non civilised world something will eat it.

That's why adventurers carry all those weapons. To stop from being eaten.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=747387#Post747387

I see this topic is being discussed again. Therefore, I up the topic.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Why this need to politicize, or put ideology in everything? I'm a very political person but I know how to put boundaries. Pretty sure the writers didn't thought about a vegetarian option (or any option at all) they just put on all the possibles foods they could, from egs to apples throug meat from bovines, suines, ovines, little game, and so on.

About the talking with animals, it is just how the writers translated what probably are images telepathically transmitted from the animal.

Then we filter them aligning them with our personal point of view. Just like in real life tend to humanize our pets giving them more credit than they need (they are animals, more complex than was thought in past but still a lot of steps away from that complexity that made human intelligence, summed with erect position and opposable thumbs, one of the traits that gave us the fitness necessary to became the apex of the food pyramid and the ultimate super predator).

Furthermore there is humongous contradiction: in the game, unless you were able to do a full stealth run (impossible because you have at least to kill the goblins that attack the party at the gates of the Druid's Lair, and the Goblin bosses or the druids in the Lair), for your own wellness (just like eating animals) you go around ready to kill proper sentient beings (from the more intellectual limited ones like gnolls, to humans, through Goblins, Drows, Mindfliers, etc etc.. ...) and up to know I haven't read anyone (specially from the ones interested on the level of intelligence of the animals in the game) asking if is really moral to kill, or massacre, sentient beings for the sole purpose to maintain our own wellness, neither I saw posts that question the ethics of trying to kill a sentient being like the tadpole, or pushing for a full stealth no killing run.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am actually of the opinion that animal intelligence should be tuned down, otherwise world building problems arise like I described in my thread. With animals as intelligent as they currently are there is no reason for them not to be integrated into the society.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I have it on good authority that healing potions all use animal byproducts in their creation, so if want to go vegan it is veggies only!

-Sarcasm-

I
stranger
stranger
I
This is a great idea. Then several Tieflings die of starvation and the entire camp utterly despise you for your actions once you reach Baldur's Gate.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard